Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

06 EVO MR Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:36 PM
Account Disabled

Location: Fort Bliss/El Paso, Texas (FIRST MR ON FORT BLISS!!!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EVO MR Questions

Hello,
I'm the proud owner of a new 06 EVO MR. I've got a couple friends who've bleed DSM for years, and are happy that I finaly got out of my last car, but I'm having some questions with mixed answers and hoping someone can help me.

1: Does the EVO MR come with a BOV? I'm sure it comes with a Wastegate, but when I started hearing the Turbo spool up, I never heard anything that sounded like the pressure release at all, only that it woud stop once I let off of the gas pedal.

2: What is the WHP of a stock 06 EVO MR?

3: Other than for personal gratification of the sound of a newly installed HKS SSQV BOV, is it better in any form or fashion that what came stock for the car?

4: Can I expect anything (HP gain, specifically, no matter how marginal) to come from installing a Injen Cold Air Intake (good or bad, no BS, no flame please)

5: Will upgrading, or installing a larger Front-Mount Intercooler do anything for my car, in regards to beter performance, extend turbo/engine life while staying with the current stock turbo?

6: Are there any common mishaps, defects with the car I need to know about? (I.E. tighten this screw, loosen this cable, etc.)

7: How exactly do I read the stock turbo gauge and how much PSI do I currently have at stock?

8: What can be done (please no shameless plugs, list parts/services but not brands. I will ask for them later) for $1000 or less that can increase performance, engine/turbo life, etc.?

Thankyou,
-Christopher
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im sure everyone is going to tell you to search, but ill take a stab at your questions.

1) No, it comes with a Diverter valve that recirculates releaved boost pressure back into the intake, and I can definately hear it when I lift off quickly from boost.

2) ~250whp on a dynojet

3) its worse than stock

4) theres only a few intakes that even work well with the evo, and none of them work without a tune

5) not unless you are running a much larger turbo than stock, the stock ix ic is big enough, and its light

6) i dont know?

7) 1bar ~14psi, it should spike to 1.4 bar and taper to 1.1 by redline

8) get a tune, or get full TBE and tune.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

6: Are there any common mishaps, defects with the car I need to know about? (I.E. tighten this screw, loosen this cable, etc.)

yeah the nut behind the wheel.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

oh boy got your flame suit on?
yes you have a bov... a metal one in fact
neighborhood of 220-240
not unless you go gonzo on the boost
no real gain
only with supporting mods, on its own not worth it
yeah keep off the boost on on/off ramps in the cold months on stock tires. aside from that the clutch pedal is kinda....ehhh. ss clutch line helps
1 bar equals 14.7 psi, you run peak approx 20 psi
buy a good turbo back exhaust, maintain the car religously

Last edited by andenbre; Jun 3, 2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

how come people keep calling a stock DV a BOV when its not
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

what is the differance ?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:12 AM

Welcome to the world of turbo cars. Perhaps an EVO guru will answer all of your specific questions, but searching the forums and reading and reading and reading will not only answer those questions, but also provide the basis for understanding all of the answers. I am not an EVO guru - I've had an STi for 3 yrs and will likely be trading for an EVO soon - but I'll do my best with some general answers.

A BOV that vents to the atmosphere would only be needed on a larger turbo setup. You may have idle problems with a BOV and stock turbo if you don't tune for it specifically.

A short intake can yield gains, but probably not as much and certainly not as safely as a downpipe/tune.

Larger intercooler = increased lag and should not affect performance or longevity with the stock oil/water cooled turbo.

For 1K, you're probably looking at better breathing and a tune or alky and a tune for the best bang for your buck. If you can snag a used exhaust, you could probably get the exhaust, alky kit, and tune for 1K - should add at least 50whp and perhaps 70wtq.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

ok a diverter valve diverts excess intake psi back to the intake before the turbo and the bov diverts excess intake psi back to the intake before the turbo.
unless you choose to vent to atmosphere
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

1: Does the EVO MR come with a BOV? I'm sure it comes with a Wastegate, but when I started hearing the Turbo spool up, I never heard anything that sounded like the pressure release at all, only that it woud stop once I let off of the gas pedal.

A dV valve, But an open element intake will let you hear it, get atune though.

2: What is the WHP of a stock 06 EVO MR?

240ish

3: Other than for personal gratification of the sound of a newly installed HKS SSQV BOV, is it better in any form or fashion that what came stock for the car?

An MR will have the metal DV, which can be crushed a bit, an aftermarket one will probably not help performance in any way maybe hurt it.

4: Can I expect anything (HP gain, specifically, no matter how marginal) to come from installing a Injen Cold Air Intake (good or bad, no BS, no flame please)

YA, but look at others. Not a lot of power here. 10 whp maybe. lower IC pipe would help too, another 5-8 whp. Upper not so much.

5: Will upgrading, or installing a larger Front-Mount Intercooler do anything for my car, in regards to beter performance, extend turbo/engine life while staying with the current stock turbo?
Stock FMIC is good foe ALOT of HP. it is very light though and does hold up well to road debries. a few horse here too. again not a lot with stock turbo. 500 whp then ya..

would not sweat this too much,

7: How exactly do I read the stock turbo gauge and how much PSI do I currently have at stock?
20-21 PSI peak with it tapering off.

8: What can be done (please no shameless plugs, list parts/services but not brands. I will ask for them later) for $1000 or less that can increase performance, engine/turbo life, etc.?

TBE will suck most of that up and will get some gains. Pull the Cat, Short throw, with bushings, CAms will be awesome.

Last edited by newimportowner; Jun 3, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First step, read the rules for the advanced forums rules for advanced forums

This thread will be moved or deleted soon.

Keith
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully, after some of these answers, he'll understand my dismay in the other forum when he asked all these same questions. I guess he didn't believe me when I told him:

1) Worst 2 mods to get first are the HKS SSQV and Injen Intake, but he already got the m
2) His car already came with a great BOV (or DV, whatever you prefer to call it) whether he "heard" it or not
3) The published 289HP has nothing to do with reality of WHP, and my package lists WHP, so do the math. Stock IXs put down 260-270 on Dynojets.
4) Go to google and type in psi to bar converter instead of asking us to tell you the answer so this way you'll always have a reference.
5) FMIC? Holy crap...HKS SSQV, Injen Intake, and upgraded FMIC - where in the world do people get these ideas?

Btw, the above numbered answers are not meant to match his numbered questions.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh man! I feel bad that he wasted his money and screwed up his car oh well.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

SEARCH for things BEFORE you post!!!!!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:40 AM

He would have had two less questions if he only had read the brochure for the car first. i studied that thing religiously before i even considered getting my MR, but thats just me.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo637

yeah the nut behind the wheel.
Sounds like that nut is loose...tighten it before driving!!

But really...it's great in stock form. If you are gunho, get a flash and maybe an alky kit and a piggy back computer to adjust for the kit (if you want the best bang for the buck). After that, it's about $1,000 for each additional 10-15 whp.

Last edited by NEW2006EVOIX; Jun 3, 2006 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 EVO MR Questions