Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: rpm problem! please help!!
rpm
40.00%
problem
60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

rpm problem! please help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Is there anyway we can stop people from posting for like the first 2 months after they join this site?

Then they might actually learn how to use god d*mn search button before they start another thread on topics that have been covered 100 million times. They might get a feel for comments that will get them flamed and other members charming personalities as well.

I do like the pole though. WTF? Hmm. Is it RPM? Or is it problem? Is there an option C, like I didn't bother to research what issues my really cool noise maker thing could cause if not recirculated?

Last edited by hotrod2448; Jun 5, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're saying your BOV is louder than the stock BPV? lol... Seriously dude, listen to everyone else and put the stock BPV back on. The performance issues associated with a VTA BOV is not worth it for just a little noise.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:40 PM

lol o my atleast spell slik right! The purpose of a blow off valve or compressor bypass valve is to prevent large pressure spikes in the intake pipes when the throttle plate is closed or while your turbo is boosting, preventing the turbo from surging. When you are boosting the pressure on both sides of the valve is essentially equal because the pressure in the intake manifold is the same as in the intake pipes right? When you lert go off the gas witch closes the throttle plate while boosting all that air slams into the plate and pressure spikes. At the same time the intake manifold pressure drops to a vacuum, and so does the pressure on the other side of the valve. The result is the blow off valve opens wide to allow the pressure to vent out usually back into the intake. but on my hand its into the atmosphere to make "the cool noise".. and the stock ones on 03 have a complete plastic housing not aluminum like the mrs..
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, we know what a blow off valve does.

We also (unlike you apparently) know the issues it can cause when you vent it to atmosphere in an Evo especially on an '03. Do you understand that your MAF has already metered that air and injected fuel for it. So, when it vents that air to atmosphere and is not recirculating it, your car goes super rich and that's why the idle dips?

No one is criticizing that you have a BOV. Well, maybe a few are. It's that you have it setup VTA and that is causing your idle stability issue but, seem reluctant to admit that to yourself because you like the noise and feel like you know what's going on.

I wouldn't go criticizing other peoples grammar with that post you just typed.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Besides, as I had stated previously, if you get a different intake set up.. say a K&N Typhoon, and set your BOV back to recirculate, believe me, you'll hear the blow off valve just as much as you did when it was VTA. PLUS, the intake makes a pretty sweet noise when the turbo is spooling.

So, in essence, you get your "cool noise" and you still keep the car running properly. Isn't that the goal anyway?

You asked a question as to why the problem was occurring. Several people, including myself, gave you the answer, and several options to resolve the issue. Whether you elect to use them or not is your own perogative.

I personally would like to know that if by chance I was in WOT and boosted and had to stop suddenly; when I dump the clutch, my car will stay running and not die out cause I have it VTA.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd still use the stock plastic one over the HKS SSQV, especially when you have NO OTHER MODS. Also, how are you running 21psi if you have no boost controller or tune?

JS06, please do not suggest or mention the Typhoon - it is the worst intake for the Evo. You are right, though, that a simple intake will make any BOV loud as hell, even one that recirculates.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I had heard that the AEM one was the worst. <shrugs> My buddy has the Typhoon on his 05 Evo 8, and it works great as far as anyone can tell, but he's running pretty rich at WOT. I'm looking into possibly the Parrin intake, as they state it doesn't need an ecu flash, and I'm not too serious into modding the car yet.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Unless he's been on a dyno or put down great times at the track, it's hard to say that it works great. On just about every other Evo, it causes major problems (mainly the hard MAF pipe). The AEM can work fine when tuned, but the Typhoon is bad tuned or untuned.

No, do not get the Perrin intake. Every intake needs a flash and if they claim it doesn't, they don't know what they're talking about. If you're not serious into modding the car, then just get a flash. It costs the same (or less) than an intake and gets you about oh...30-40 more whp with no visible change and perfect drivability.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

true, but apparently a flash is visible on my car with a checksum error. Until companies can get around that, I don't want to do that. I've had to have my car looked at several times by the dealership, and a couple of times by the regional corporate Mitsu rep. He's by the book, and will use anything to void warranties.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

And to add to that, I appreciate your advice/opinions about parts. I have mechanical knowledge and knowhow, but I'm very new to the Evolution. So I appreciate that others on here can give their advice/stories. So thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. To make a different noise than your stock one, DUH!!!! YEAH, DUH!!!! The stock one is not as loud, holy crap!!! Well, DUH, the whole purpose of a BOV is to make noise, right? Jeez, Silk, don't you know ANYTHING?

Yeah, high possibility of leaking on that awful aluminum JDM MR DV that came stock. Who would use such a thing?
Duhhhhhhhhh me tinks dat i schmwell wrice
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, it's a theory that it can be detected, but I haven't seen ONE case of ANYONE saying that Mitsu detected their flash. It is not something as simple as connecting a scanner and seeing it. They have to know to look for it, know how to work the tool, and then even if they find that there is a modified sum, they are unable to see what has been changed.

And wouldn't you be worried about an intake sticking right in their faces? It will give no power while potentially robbing you of power while definitely throwing off your AFRs for the same cost as an invisible mod that gives you tons of power. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, eh.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. To make a different noise than your stock one, DUH!!!! YEAH, DUH!!!! The stock one is not as loud, holy crap!!! Well, DUH, the whole purpose of a BOV is to make noise, right? Jeez, Silk, don't you know ANYTHING?

Yeah, high possibility of leaking on that awful aluminum JDM MR DV that came stock. Who would use such a thing?
Its a 2003.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Well, you do bring up a valid point. However, my dealership is a bit mod friendly. But they have stated that just for their sake, they would rather I didn't flash the ecu or mess with the turbo.

More or less I was using that for this guy cause he wants the "cool noise"

My car is still practically stock. I just have the LICP from HPF, and a K&N drop in filter.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious If you do VTA can you get the gay sound just buy sitting still and reving it?

And you probably spent $300 on a BOV that doesnt increase hp and now you have to recirculate it so it wont make that sound when you coulda bought a MR JDM one for $90-$110.....how do you feel!