Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

spun rod bearing in buschur motor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought he made it clear, if they do determine the cause was not the machine shop, nor buschurs fault, that AT WORST they would fix the engine for his exact cost of parts and pay shipping, so at best, it might be for free?

Scorke
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
thanks for yor input!!

I know it hurts, I know that you are upset and I know that money means a lot to all of us but at this point you just have to follow up in a nice way and hope for the best.

I have been through these roads few times and once you are committed you just have to keep going.

My opinion is to send the car or the complete engine bottom to top including the head.

Sending the car will cost you ~$700
Sending the engine is around the same

Of course you will have to take the engine out and that’s extra on your end. Maybe you can do it on your own (I am not sure)

However, if you send him the car he will look at it as a package deal and most likely treat you right for trusting him.

Don’t divide you eggs in many baskets let one guy start and finish the job.

You don’t trust him then don’t send anything and find someone else (cut your losses short)
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
There are lessons to be learned from this, so let the unwise heed carefully:

- A reasonable rev limit is the best way to idiot-proof an engine. Unfortunately, no such device exists for humans.

- Increasing power and rpm increases the risk of catastrophic failure, regardless of who built what. Speed costs money, and there is no way around it. Be advised and be prepared.

- At least 7 times out of ten, the individual to blame for such instances can be found by looking into a mirror. If you're man enough to drive it, be man enough to accept responsibility if YOU break it. FWIW, there is no better way to break it than to spin it. <emphasizing the word of the day>

- No one can give a guarantee as to how long an engine will last under stress. One invests in a certain engine builder he trusts. A trustworthy builder is one who is able to minimize the potential for disaster. Note that "minimize" and "eliminate" are NOT synonyms.

- The builder is not bound by law nor any other convenant to warranty the engine under such circumstances. DB made a generous offer, and there is no less costly way out. My advice in this case is to accept the offer without complaint, and next time try treating it like it was meant to last as opposed to doing one's best to kill it.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
I thought he made it clear, if they do determine the cause was not the machine shop, nor buschurs fault, that AT WORST they would fix the engine for his exact cost of parts and pay shipping, so at best, it might be for free?

Scorke

You read it wrong... Reread it.

There is no "I thought" in a situation like this, there is "I am certain and positive".
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Guys, i'ts a no brainer. If you buy something high performance like this remotely, and you expect to have a warranty, you better be prepared to get the parts to the mfg so they can see/fix it. If you didn't want to risk shipping a motor or anything else back to a mfg, you should have bought locally. They don't sell it locally you say? Tough *&^%.

Case in point - I was going to buy an Acura RSX for driving back and forth to work a couple years back. There isn't a dealer within 3 hours of me, so I decided not to buy it based on the warranty issues alone. Think Acura would pay to have the car towed to Chicago from Blue Grass, IA? Nope. Not a chance buddy.

These engines are not high production units with a dealer on every corner. Send it back to Buschur and let them fix it, and in the future you might think about keeping your car stock if you aren't willing to deal with occasional issues.......

Good luck man
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rgonyer
and in the future you might think about keeping your car stock if you aren't willing to deal with occasional issues.......

Good luck man

Best words ever... In fact these are best words I have read on EVOm in a long time...
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
There is always option 3.

Send the whole car to Buschur (transport can't be much more than shipping the engine), have him determin the cause of failure, let them fix it (on his dime or the owners) then let him tune it and set a rev limit he feels comfortable with for the setup the owner has.

I'm sure it is not the cheapest solution but, it definitely seems like the most logical one in avoiding future issues like this and removing variables from the equation.

No one knows the engine and what it is capable of or wants more than the builder.

Bottom line though: You've got to pay to play.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Jun 5, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Better words would be, "Don't buy an evo if you aren't willing to deal with occasional issues."

However there is a difference between an issue and a blown motor haha.

Scorke
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Use 15w50 next time Period..
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

OMG this is killing me.

I am confident that Dave will take care of you. If I was in your shoes, I would rather have him help you out for the cost of pulling and shipping the motor.

Is sucks yes. But at least let dave try and help he is a good guy.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevEVO8
OMG this is killing me.

I am confident that Dave will take care of you. If I was in your shoes, I would rather have him help you out for the cost of pulling and shipping the motor.

Is sucks yes. But at least let dave try and help he is a good guy.
This thread is Killing me 2. I am locking it as both parties have given their views. To the originall poster if you want to repoen the thread when the problem is fixed. Let us know.