Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

spun rod bearing in buschur motor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spun rod bearing in buschur motor

Hey all my name is Kasey, i have a 03 with a ported head and dual vavle springs from ams and i have a 2.0 from buschurracing with crower rods. I just got this setup installed in my car a couple months back. Jarod at bushurs told me their is a breakin peroid of 1500miles no boost and change the oil at 500 and 1500. So i do the breakin, just like i was told. Then its time to rock and roll right? Well i have the Greddy 25g t67 turbo kit. Well jester comes up and we tune it. It made 385 on 93 at 21 psi and 491 on 110 at 29 psi. Well i dont drive the car a whole lot so a week and a half ago i went out the movies and talk with some friends and mess around a little bit, then i headed home a when i got on the interstate i heard some kind of knocking. Well i may have drove the car 4miles then it got worse, so i pulled off and called a friend to come pick me up. Well the next day i went back and got the car and took it to my buddys shop to find out what was wrong with it, and i found th number 3 rod bearing was spun!! so im like WTF??????

So i called jarod at buschurs the next day on a monday, and ask what to do and told them i only had a little over 2k on the new motor. Well he talks to david and calls me back, well they say ship it to ohio and we will send it to the machine shop to find out whats wrong with it.

So my question for the fellow evo owners on this board. Would you pay $300 to ship the motor after you spin 8 hours taking it out for them to tell you its not their fault but we will fix it at the cost of parts and labor? Or would you take it out buy a new crank and new rod?

I am to the point that i think i will spin $1000 dollars just to send it back to buschurs to get it fixed right when the motor only has a little over 2000 miles.

Also my stock motor had 36000 miles and their was nothing wrong with it, i just wont to go forged, cause my plans were to get a 35r or 37r.

PLEASE I WANT STRAIGHT UP COMMENTS AND NO BULL!!!!

HERE ARE SOME PICS
Attached Thumbnails spun rod bearing in buschur motor-0001.jpg   spun rod bearing in buschur motor-0002.jpg   spun rod bearing in buschur motor-0003.jpg   spun rod bearing in buschur motor-0005.jpg  
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about your motor... The decision on whether or not to send the motor to them is up to you but I'd atleast give them a chance to right the problem, especially factoring in the cost of having the motor rebuilt. Their only possible out is if they try to say the motor was overrevved or that it was caused by oil starvation. Unfortunately most of these built motors seem to be prone to excessive oil consumption and other issues. Good luck with your rebuild.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

Without inpsecting the motor it is impossible to detemrine if it was a machine shop issue or a tuning error (detonation)

In most of my experience on evos a bad rod bearing is a sign that the car was experiencing knock or detonation

You did not mention what "messing about a bit" is what ever that means

What kind of engine management do you have and what kind of fuel where you using when you experienced the rod bearing failure

Again to reiterate - 99% of these kind of rod bearing failures are due to knock or detonation which can just mean too much boost on a pump gas map

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jun 5, 2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

That's a sad predicament you're in, but it happens. I'd definitely send it back to Buschur. They will do right by you if it was their fault.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Sucks to hear. This is the second built 2.0l from Buschur that I have heard spin a rod bearing. Hopefully these are just random occurences. BTW, how high had you spun the motor?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

What oil were you using?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Did this happen on a Thursday?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

what kind of warranty came with the motor?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Without inpsecting the motor it is impossible to detemrine if it was a machine shop issue or a tuning error (detonation)

In most of my experience on evos a bad rod bearing is a sign that the car was experiencing knock or detonation

You did not mention what "messing about a bit" is what ever that means

What kind of engine management do you have and what kind of fuel where you using when you experienced the rod bearing failure

Again to reiterate - 99% of these kind of rod bearing failures are due to knock or detonation which can just mean too much boost on a pump gas map
their was near to none knock,i have stock ecu and i had 110 octane like i allways do and i did race earlier that night but was driving normal on my way home when this happen.

i do not believe it was knock or detonation. i run mobil 1 syn and i bought and put in a new oil pump when we built the motor.

and as far as warrenty daivd buschur himself told me he dont put warrentys on his motor, which everyone on this forums should know
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Did this happen on a Thursday?
no saturday night
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Sucks to hear. This is the second built 2.0l from Buschur that I have heard spin a rod bearing. Hopefully these are just random occurences. BTW, how high had you spun the motor?
my rev limiter was set at 10k by jester himself when he tuned it, i have hit it once or twice but normaly didnt take it that high
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

You should be able to 'mess around as much as you want' with a properly built motor...the motor should take whatever you throw at it! It would have to be either knock or a machine shop/assembly issue.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
is it just me or does it look like the crankshaft has a crack/break in it?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Al

would have to disagree with you on this. most of the time when a bearing is spun it is do to one of three things. 1. the bearing clearance was not in spec. ie machining problem or assembly problem.( in this case the motor went 2k miles which leads me to believe its something else) 2. the motor was over reved on a down shift (i would probably think this is the culprit) 3. Insufficient oiling or to much oil pressure is also the consideration.

As to what you should do its kind of up to you. Spending $600 on shipping is going to suck to have to buy a new crank and a new rod and a set of bearings. I would probably have someone do it local if there is anyone good around you, but obviously if you went to buschur in the first place the likely hood of some one in your area being trust worthy or knowledgeable is not an option.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvO6-RS2
You should be able to 'mess around as much as you want' with a properly built motor...the motor should take whatever you throw at it! It would have to be either knock or a machine shop/assembly issue.
i agree totaly but i was only makeing maybe 600 crank and stock ecu no knock and the thing was allmost new

Quick Reply: spun rod bearing in buschur motor