Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JunBL Exhaust Install and Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JunBL Exhaust Review

When I had my Lancer OZ, good parts were hard to come by and not much selection existed. RRM was basically the only place that supported the car with more than five products. Obviously its a much different ballgame with the Evo, and sometimes its hard to select a company to go with when buying a part that many companies offer. I had this problem when deciding on which cat-back to buy.

Before I start, heres some background on my Evo. Its an 05, mostly stock. I keep it that way to help retain the warranty, if thats possible. Any mods to date are mostly asthetic pieces or parts to help keep the driver more informed on the vehicle (42 draft designs gauges cluster, for example) I do all of my own work, mostly because Im **** and worry about some one elses mistakes on my vehicle.

There are a rediculous number of 3" catbacks on the market, and many of them are great designs and offer decent horsepower gains. To help wade through the different types, I established my main goals with adding a catback. They were:

1. Quality engineering and materials that would last the life of the vehicle (all stainless construction, including hangers)

2. Good power gains (not that i feel the car is too slow for me, but if Im going to spend the money, 5 whp is largely pointless)

3. Tone (deep sound, not too loud but not as quiet as stock)

4. No neck downs in the piping

Ill spare you the details of the decision making process, but I settled on the catback system offered by JunBL. As far as quality is concerned, the exhaust is top notch. It is of course all stainless, and the welds are perfect. I am an engineer and work at a firm that designs industrial equipment; everyone here thought it was a very impressive piece. As far as power, Ill let other threads about the system and its gains speak for themselves, but you can definately feel the difference. This system will make as much horsepower as the big name competitors. The tone is excellent as well, with a deep rumble thats not too loud even at full throttle. (Ill post up some pics of the exhaust on the car once I get home) This is a great 3" exhaust.

Every system does have its downsides, and JunBL is no different. The only one that comes to my mind though is that the tip sticks out further than I would prefer from the bumper.

Why am I writing this huge post about this? Do I work for JunBL? No. But I feel that sometimes people are affraid to try less known products because they dont want to waste their money on inferrior products. I want to assure anyone in the market for a catback that JunBL is a great design that might offer more than even the top teir JDM systems sold for the Evo (depending on your criteria). In the end its your choice as the consumer, but remember its ok to be different and try something besides what everyone else is running on their cars.

If anyone needs info on installation or anything else, PM me. If your interested in the exhaust contact Chad at JunBL. His contact info is:

Jun B.L Motorsports
14500 Industrial Ave. North
Suite B
Maple Heights , OH 44137

Phone: (877)-JUNBLNA
Fax: (877) 289-3611
Url:
www.junblusa.com
Email:
mailto:cbooth@junblusa.com

Like I said Ill post up pics when I get home.

Previous JunBL thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=junbl
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad you like your exhaust, i've seen it in person and must say it is amazing!!! I can put one on my car right now but i'm happy with my current exhaust, and am spending the $$$$$ elsewhere.
Thier titanium mufflers are works of art as well!!!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Matt,

i'm glad to hear that you are happy with the system. However, regarding the one point of the tip sticking out further than the stock system, the exhaust was designed that way. I have seen too many Evo's with the bumper (tip section) that have a hole burned through it due to the tip being too short. Take a look at other EVO's that had an aftermarket system for a couple of years. Most have a hole and/or show much unwanted wear in that section of the bumper. I think you will truly appreciate the extended tip design a couple of years down the road!

David
Old Jun 6, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

I understand the reason for the extended tip, I just think it could be cheated back a slight bit and still accomplish the goal of not burning the bumper. Again, thumbs up to the folks at JunBL.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Get some pics up mate. I am looking at getting one for my VII as you know they have a jdm rear so if it sticks out too far on your bumper i would say it will look way to far on mine.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Im sure it would stick out a bit too far, but talk to Chad at JunBL, they could easily shorten up the axle-back nuffler section to fit the VII. Pics tonight for sure.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, that extended tip will save you alot of time cleaning your bumper.

Get some pics up!!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stew
Yup, that extended tip will save you alot of time cleaning your bumper.

Get some pics up!!

Here is a link already with the install of the cat-back system. You see how the tip sticks out alittle more then the bumper.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199692
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Pics today for sure.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, Ill keep everyone who cares updated about this exhaust...

First off, I took pics tonight and will have them up at lunch tomorrow, my work connection is much better. Once I post them, I am open to requests of new angles, like maybe someone will want a pic showing swaybar clearence, etc.

Second, for those worried about the sound. I helped my friend install his new motor in his 2002 Firehawk today and brought my car with. Him and his friends (domestic guys, F bodies Gtos etc) were very impressed with the sound of the JunBL exhaust. They were even more impressed with the construction and the V-band clamps. Why am I telling you this? If domestic guys that drive 400whp GTOs who were installing a 480whp engine didnt think it sounded ricey, I doubt anyone will.

Thumbs still both up to JunBL.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Pictures Finally!

Like I said before, if anyone wants more views, dont be afraid to ask. By they way, its been on for over a week, hence why its not perfectly clean.
Attached Thumbnails JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00631.jpg   JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00634.jpg   JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00635.jpg   JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00636.jpg  
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Some more!
Attached Thumbnails JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00638.jpg   JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00639.jpg   JunBL Exhaust Install and Review-dsc00640.jpg  
Old Jun 12, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Man I take the time to get pics and no one cares, haha. These pictures caused me to wash the underside of my car tonight, by the way...ha!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 09:50 PM

Funny I was just thinking of washing my undercarriage after seeing those pics.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered the same exhaust today! Can't wait to get her on!!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Pics are hot!!! The junbl is definetly one of the nicest looking exhausts for the evo I think, on top of perfect fittment.

Quick Reply: JunBL Exhaust Install and Review