Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Air Filter Kit...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have basically the same mods, however I felt no loss in power, but I can see how it could lose power because it could confuse the sensor.. has anyone done the track thing with/without it?
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what happens... Hence the car runs even richer than stock!!

Originally posted by MalibuJack
I have basically the same mods, however I felt no loss in power, but I can see how it could lose power because it could confuse the sensor.. has anyone done the track thing with/without it?
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:47 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Actually the K&N filter gained a few HP but the MAF pipe (the pipe from MAF to Turbo) is what lost the HP. The MAF pipe messes with the MAF sensor and cause the car to run rich.

Martin

Originally posted by spooldswede
According to AMS's tests there was a 20hp loss when putting on a K&N cone filter in place of the stock box.. However, when they installed the Apex'i S-AFC and tuned the air/fuel, the end result was that the K&N filter gave a 4whp and 7wtq gain over the stock box...

So.. don't do this mod until you've got an Apex'i S-AFC installed (and know how to tune it).. unless you don't care about losing power, as long as you sound cool!

Personally, I had a K&N in for a while, and it really felt like I lost a lot of power!.. especially in the low range..

I think the stock box will stay on my car for while.. until 4whp gains are important to me...

I'm more interested in the 51-53whp gain that you get from the SAFC and a MBC pegged at 19-20psi!.. and the 20-30whp lurking around in the exhaust system!
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

ok.. my bad.. i thought it was the filter..

i could swear i felt like i lost power on mine tho.. it was especially noticable when driving at highway speeds and doing some WOT tests... it seemed like it took forever for the turbo to spool in comparison to the stock box..

oh well.. must have been my imagination..
Old Apr 29, 2003, 02:36 AM
EvoM Guru

It might not have been your imagination.. Its entirely possible that the location of the filter is in a low pressure area under the hood, and at that particular speed, with part throttle, it was starved for airflow.. or another theory is when you moved stuff around, you introduced an air leak somewhere between the MAF and the turbo, and after you removed it, you sealed up the leak... any unmetered gain/loss of air could (would) cause drivability to change.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by spooldswede
ok.. my bad.. i thought it was the filter..

i could swear i felt like i lost power on mine tho.. it was especially noticable when driving at highway speeds and doing some WOT tests... it seemed like it took forever for the turbo to spool in comparison to the stock box..

oh well.. must have been my imagination..
I also have the BR cone filter installed on mine and I said the same thing, it just feels slower somehow but how could this be?

Edit: Malibu I was thinking the same thing, perhaps I messed with the connections and introduced some sort of intake leak. I will check this out tonight.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Yah, my car seems to feel the same either way, admittedly I have a much faster "Show/Race" car that ruins my perception of performance so this car already felt a little underpowered to me.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh wow, you know what else occurred to me.. I wonder if the MAF sensor is vibration sensitive?? Since the Buscher filter isn't achored, it could be bouncing around.. In my case its anchored to the stock air box and doesnt move.. Check that out too..
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Oh wow, you know what else occurred to me.. I wonder if the MAF sensor is vibration sensitive?? Since the Buscher filter isn't achored, it could be bouncing around.. In my case its anchored to the stock air box and doesnt move.. Check that out too..
Good point, I wonder if the Karmen Vortex readings are getting messed up by the MAF moving around. I will ziptie mine at lunch and check it out.

I also own a more powerful car so the EVO feels slightly flat to me as well. Still a blast to drive however
Old Apr 29, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

ok guys this might be a stupid question, but please bear with me...So if i go with a AEM intake with the K&N filter is it safe as far as keeping cool, and is the k&n a coned filter, and is that going to run temperatures high?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wkehn

Good point, I wonder if the Karmen Vortex readings are getting messed up by the MAF moving around. I will ziptie mine at lunch and check it out.

I also own a more powerful car so the EVO feels slightly flat to me as well. Still a blast to drive however
hmm...i think the MAF hanging free might actually give it a little more cushion rather then directly absorbing impact provided by the already stiff suspension.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok fireball,,,, arnt you worried about water getting all over your filter. From the hood vent, to washing your car. It down poured here today , and the thought of having an open air element wouldnt have not made me feel to good???!!

Have you tried to see if it would get wet by washing water over your hood , if you havnt had any rain yet?

Also can somone post a picture of the monster air box, I think i seen one in a SCC mag. a few months ago. Also does the monster have a cold air duct bringing in cold air?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
Ok fireball,,,, arnt you worried about water getting all over your filter. From the hood vent, to washing your car. It down poured here today , and the thought of having an open air element wouldnt have not made me feel to good???!!

Have you tried to see if it would get wet by washing water over your hood , if you havnt had any rain yet?

Also can somone post a picture of the monster air box, I think i seen one in a SCC mag. a few months ago. Also does the monster have a cold air duct bringing in cold air?

Thanks
I've wahsed my car several times and have driven in hard rain and the Buschur filter is dry and clean. I tested this out by drowning the hood with water to see how much actually went into the engine compartment and vicinity. Suprisingly I didn't notice standing water anywhere. Filter is further away from the heat extractor vents so it stayed dry. Also, not that much water on the engine, valve cover. Not much different thatn my Z06 with no hood vents.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Same here, it doesnt get wet at all when I wash the car.. However I did notice today that the car did seem to run a little differently, not sure if its running better or worse, just feels a little different than it did before the filter.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

i got to take a ride in fireballs evo after just being in a stock evo 3 mins before. it sounds alot better. its a head turner if nothing else but im sure there is some hp gain in there somewhere. wait a minute.... why am a passenger in other peoples evos? i need to get my own
nice car fireball !! keep me up to speed with the body kit thing we talked about.
dustin

Quick Reply: Buschur Air Filter Kit...