Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Air Filter Kit...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i just put my buschur intake in and ive been getting a slightly higher idle and idle also rises when the fan turns on.. is anyone else here that has the buschur intake having the same occurence??
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw no difference in Idle characteristics.. What your describing is something my car did on occasion regardless.. However, if you introduce less restriction, air gets into the motor quicker/easier.. so its possible the idle is slightly higher because its not working against the induction system as hard.. Most modern ECU's will compensate for many of these factors so it seems unlikely that its any different than stock. Truth is my personal experience is it made no difference.. actually the filter seemed to have made very little difference except in the sound.. Of course, the sound under load resembles a jet engine now, so people occasionally wrench their heads to look over at my car if I load up the engine and get into boost next to them..

let me add that I **HATE** the sound of the diverter (BOV) Valve sneezing, but at least it sounds like air rushing, and not this weird "WHIZZ-CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF" sound that I hear out of other cars (do they realize that their spring pressure is set too high if it makes that sound??) I did notice with the filter that the valve is ALWAYS Blowing off.. which helps drivability, but now I understand why the power doesnt always seem like its "right there"

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 30, 2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor

well its now a day later and my idle is back to normal but still rises when the fan turns on..
you meant that you hate that fluttering sound of compressor surge? i hate that too... damn greddy type s bov in my old talon.. i had to set it everytime i change boost
Old May 1, 2003, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Yah... It just sounds terrible.. I'm hoping the gains after making some modifications are worthwhile, otherwise I'm putting the stock box back in, and using a K&N Panel filter..
Old May 1, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

My stock Evo idles up and down sometimes.
I thought the octane booster and fuel were not mixed well enough.

Old May 1, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Yah... It just sounds terrible.. I'm hoping the gains after making some modifications are worthwhile, otherwise I'm putting the stock box back in, and using a K&N Panel filter..

I know what you mean Malibu, my cone filter hasn't added any HP to my car so I too am considering going back to the stock box until I mod further.

We all know the filter increases airflow to the engine however without any fuel management, the ECU will add more fuel to compensate despite the fact we are already too rich to begin with. I wonder if the extra airflow has pushed things up onto a higher fuel enrichment map in the ECU, resulting in the car feeling slower. I'm sure an AFC will help a ton.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Damn double post...sorry.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by wkehn

I know what you mean Malibu, my cone filter hasn't added any HP to my car so I too am considering going back to the stock box until I mod further.

We all know the filter increases airflow to the engine however without any fuel management, the ECU will add more fuel to compensate despite the fact we are already too rich to begin with. I wonder if the extra airflow has pushed things up onto a higher fuel enrichment map in the ECU, resulting in the car feeling slower. I'm sure an AFC will help a ton.
I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, at least at the lower RPM points, midrange I don't think its changed any, but the low-boost sensation is it isn't as 'powerful'.. Once its into its boost, its exactly the same, part throttle seems to feel a little rich now when boost levels are low, or your transitioning from vacuum to boost.. Once my damn Wiring harnesses are done, I'm going to install my S-AFC and MBC.. then we'll see..
Old May 1, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, at least at the lower RPM points, midrange I don't think its changed any, but the low-boost sensation is it isn't as 'powerful'.. Once its into its boost, its exactly the same, part throttle seems to feel a little rich now when boost levels are low, or your transitioning from vacuum to boost.. Once my damn Wiring harnesses are done, I'm going to install my S-AFC and MBC.. then we'll see..

Cool...I sent you a pm regarding the AFC harness. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a better solution. Two hoses running cold air into the box from the TME spoiler.

How the hell do I post a picture on this forum?????
Old May 8, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I think that cone type filters may actually be causing swirl/turbulence which the Karmen Vortex type airflow sensor does not like. The sensor works by counting the frequency of many small vortexes created by a little wedge in the sensor. If the air entering the sensor is already swirling and turbulent, it may cause errouneous readings in the sensor. I would think that a panel filter tends to straighten the air flow out a bit and would allow for more accurate readings. This is just conjecture on my part for sure so take it with a grain of salt!
Old May 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

i have a datalogger....i have one from tuning my gride....this weekend i will log some intake temps and i will let everyone know, because after my break in this is the first mod i plan on getting.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed mine today. the only hard part of getting off the stock box was pulling it free of the intake hose. I left it plgged in and just rotated it enough to get at the bolts, which had no real trouble breaking free. now getting the filter on was a real pain in the ***. apparently one of the 4 bolts to hold it onto the MAS was slightly unaligned, and i had to really strain it on... it helped to bend the metal right around the bolt in the right direction, but even then I had to flip the nut over on thelast bolt so it would grab with enough threads to seal the MAS to the filter. once that ordeal was over, it just kinda sits on the bracket the stock box goes into.. I gotta figure a good wat to anchor it, as malibujack's right about it being a bit too loose.

now performancewise, i feel like i have a bit more pull at higher revs, but its probably all in my head. It sounds nice though.. fireball wasn't kidding. you definitely hear it breathing above 2500, and you do have a BOV like sound (A bit more subdued and drawn out though). Cheapest way to get a more noticable sound out of the evo...

Buschur, if you read this, watch your tolerances... I was ready to send it back.
Old May 14, 2003, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

question:

Does anyone know if there's a K&N panel or "drop-in" type filter available for us?.. This is all I want to do to my intake.. Should give similar results .... maybe not quite the same hp/tq top end.. but I think drivability will be better ..

Thanks for any info/help!

Old May 14, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

evo air filters and intake.
http://www.vividracing.com/evo/

Quick Reply: Buschur Air Filter Kit...