Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Air Filter Kit...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Air Filter Kit...

Wow, this thing rocks. Very good looking as well. With simply this air filter on, I feel more power in my butt-dyno and let me tell you, the sound is unbelievable. It sounds like I have a friggen BOV venting to the atmosphere. Let off on the gas and WHOOOOSH! The sound of when the turbo kicks in now sounds like a friggen vaccum cleaner. I've already gotten looks from people.

Very happy and strongly recommend it.

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?18X376545

Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Cool, does it have a "bell" in it to smooth airflow? Does it need oil like a K&N? Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Wow!......cant wait to get one, not bad for 80 bones!! Does the kit include a bracket similar to the one sold by RMR?

-ran
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by chronohunter
Cool, does it have a "bell" in it to smooth airflow? Does it need oil like a K&N? Thanks
Yes, if you mean the end is open, with a cone shaped filter in it.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by nine4surfah
Wow!......cant wait to get one, not bad for 80 bones!! Does the kit include a bracket similar to the one sold by RMR?

-ran
Yea, it has the plate on the end for a direct bolt on. Uses existing equipment.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

i just put a similar intake, but off a dsm today, sounds loud as hell!!!! i love it.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

is there any issue with the heat from engine bay?. or does it really matter... perhaps i might want to purchase but i would like some more details on ups and downs.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
is there any issue with the heat from engine bay?. or does it really matter... perhaps i might want to purchase but i would like some more details on ups and downs.
There will be no major difference in heat drawn in by that setup vs stock. Currently the stock setup is not receiving cold air properly due to duct placement. The only advantage that stock could have would be the possible insulation by the intake housing. But that could also work the other way, by keeping heat in the chamber. FWIW, its a cheap upgrade that has no side effects and it looks "cool". ALso, you get a more throatier sound from the car.

Chris
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrdecibel

There will be no major difference in heat drawn in by that setup vs stock. Currently the stock setup is not receiving cold air properly due to duct placement. The only advantage that stock could have would be the possible insulation by the intake housing. But that could also work the other way, by keeping heat in the chamber. FWIW, its a cheap upgrade that has no side effects and it looks "cool". ALso, you get a more throatier sound from the car.

Chris
Before you say that, why not measure the temps first. A little before and after comparison would be great.

Erik
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by erikgj

Before you say that, why not measure the temps first. A little before and after comparison would be great.

Erik
Unfortunately I don't have the time to dig up temperature measuring equipment, but I did manage to have time to take a few pics and explain my theory.

Image 1 is with hood closed. No visible air entry point
Image 2 is aerial view showing entire intake system. There are no other entry points besides the duct.
Image 3 and 4 are the body of car and the weather stripping where they meet. (Blocking flow of air)

There is a duct, but it is NOT getting cool air in it. Hopefully this is suffice enough without needing temperature graphs.
Attached Thumbnails Buschur Air Filter Kit...-intake.jpg  
Old Apr 19, 2003, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by erikgj

Erik
Exactly, without HARD FACTS/DATA no one knows if this "upgraded" filter helps or hurts... the fact remains that someone does need to measure before and after temps.

Someone with a datalogger should be able to do this... unfortunatly most EVO owners don't own one, which IMO and most all DSM owners, a datalogger should be the 1st mod!

As I have stated before, some aftermarket filters have shown to DECREASE hp over the stock airbox because of sucking up hot air.

At this point, until someone shows the "cone" filter to not suck up hot engine bay air, the only "upgraded" filter I would put on an EVO would be a K&N panel filter that retains the stock airbox to insulate it from the hot air from the engine bay.

However, I have seen some aftermarket airfilter kits that include what looks to be an upgrade insulated air filter box and a "ram air" snorkel that recieves "cold air/fresh air" i.e. not air from the engine bay... the best looking one I saw so far was the Monster Sport Intake... that would be what I spend my money on
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys are forgetting, as long as there is no additional restrictions by the filter, you will benefit with any open element upgrade. There are several reasons for decreased performance when your dealing with some types of MAF/MAP sensors and open elements, But air restriction or heat isn't one of them on a turbo car..

First, the fascia of the car draws air into the engine compartment, so the air under the hood is fairly cool in that location, alot of turbulence though.. However, this is a TURBOCHARGED car, which means that the small temperature difference between the outside air, and the air drawn from that particular underhood area is negligable, you have about a foot of ductwork that runs near the turbo to pick up heat, before it gets to the turbo, then the compressor (turbo) transfers even more heat, and the intercooler removes a bit of heat.. In the end, you may see about 5 degrees of difference in temperature (depending on the weather) at the throttlebody.. The benefit of relieving the restriction definitely outweighs the possibility of drawing hotter air from under the hood.

Now, if that filter was getting soaked with water when it rained getting through the vents in the hood caused a problem, then that would be a different story.. However because of its location, It probably wouldn't get any more wet than the factory panel filter drawing air from the fascia in a rain storm.

The big issue with OILED air filters would have been oil residue damaging hot-wire sensors and giving false/wrong readings. and open element filters can have an affect on Karmann Vortex style air sensors which could affect Idle quality because of a lowered restriction, however if you have an A/F Controller, it can easily be compensated for.

Just my 2 cents.. To make a long story short.. Get it if you like it.. It probably sounds good, and it really won't hurt anything.. and for the money, its a cheap enough mod that you can throw away if you don't like it..
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
But air restriction or heat isn't one of them on a turbo car..

[b]However, this is a TURBOCHARGED car, which means that the small temperature difference between the outside air, and the air drawn from that particular underhood area is negligable, [/b
What??? Unless the EVO is magically cool under the hood, then there is a HUGE difference between ambient air temp and underhood temp ala just about every single turbo car known to man.

In the end, you may see about 5 degrees of difference in temperature (depending on the weather) at the throttlebody.. The benefit of relieving the restriction definitely outweighs the possibility of drawing hotter air from under the hood.
How do you know this??? Have you dyno tested the difference between an open air element filter vs a closed air element filter??? And I am not ONLY refering to the stock setup vs a cone filter... I firmly believe that there is good possibility that intake systems like the Monster Sport Intake could make some decent gains for an intake considering it looks like it improves: 1) volume of air 2) the temperature of the air.

I'll go get in my car, DSM, right now and measure the difference between ambient air and intake air temp (I have a datalogger which gives HARD FACTS/DATA) just to show you guys that there is a big difference... the irony is that I have a "ram air scoop" and a "double attempt" to seal off my air filter from the engine bay and I still can see how hot the intake temps are from the engine bay vs ambient air... if I had the "regular" DSM intake, it would be worse X 3!

Remember the cooler/fresher air you have coming into the intake = more hp.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Here are the air temp numbers. Time 11pm CST aka nightime.

Temp Before the car was started 73. (Coolant temp 75)

After 3 minute warm up air intake temp is 75.

2 minutes later air intake temp is 85.

2 minutes later air intake temp is 87.

I drive down the street, about a mile, to a gas station to get gas.

I get gas/clean the windows, car is still running since... 14 minutes after the first time I started the car air intake temp is now 98 (Coolant temp 194).

2 minutes later the air intake temp is now 100.

I drive back home and because: 1) it is drizziling 2) my "ram air" mod and 3) double attempt to seal intake from engine bay heat mod, the temps go back down to 85 degrees while driving 40mph.

I arrive home and let turbo time for exactly 1 minute... air intake temp is now 93.

What I hope to show is that 1) you can see how that driving the car rougly 20 minutes changed the intake temps on MY car which has 3 air intake mods which are aimed at keeping the temps as cool as possible. 2) that this was done at night and during the daytime, the temps get even hotter 3) that on a stock car with no air intake mods aimed at keeping temps cooler, a "cone airfilter" is going to be sucking up lots of HOT air which is BAD for performance.

Remember my car is not stock and the air intake temps still rose 25 degrees at night with a slight drizzle only having the car run for 20 minutes.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

According to RMR's webpage, a heat shield or cold air intake is not required because the suctioned air travels through the hottest part of the motor, the turbo. Hence the reason for an intercooler. This sounds logical to me and is restrcited to turbo cars w/an intercooler. Im sure this theory does not take into account for natural aspirated cars. Again im not inteding to start any flames just sharinge info....

-ran

Quick Reply: Buschur Air Filter Kit...