Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

wierd winding sound from rear diff.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wierd whining sound from rear diff.

my 05 MR is making this wierd whining/griding sound from the rear diff when i'm driving and it sort of sounds like when your drive over the white line on the interstate and it makes that sound. Recently, the sound has actually been getting worse, progressing from just a whine to more a high grinding noise. well, i took it to mitsu and they recognized it and that they said that its normal but they admitted that it didn't sound like that from the lot brand new. i took it it the second time when it started to get worse and louder and they told me that they called the "big honcho" mitsu tech assist in cali for a second opinion cause they didn't know what was causing that sound from the rear diff cause all the fluids where good and that he said it was normal for that sound to happen. They actually admitted that they are still not 100% sure that the sound is coming from the rear diff. How the hell are they gonna call someone in Cali for help on something they can't even diagnose completely here? I think its a bunch of B/S. I wish they'd stop being so damn lazy and actually open the diff up and fix whatever the hell is making that noise. does anyone have this problem or know anything about this issue? Mitsu gave me a case number for the problem and i told him that i'm just going to have to take it to pcola, FL to get a second opinion and if they found the problem, am i able to do anything to the one here in Mobile, AL? Sorry for the long rant. need help ....thanks...

Last edited by MREVO8pinoy; Jun 11, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:39 PM

bump
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

they should drain the rear differential and look for metal shavings
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

forgot to mention, but if the rear differential is bad, it should make more noise during cornering because the rear wheels travel at different speeds
Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:35 AM

Well, I only really try to diagnose the noise while going straight. I'll try to listen to it while cornering. The noise has definitely grown to an unbareable grind.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 04:37 PM

bump
Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles are on your car?

While the owners manual may say to change the fluid around 30,000 miles or so (I don't remember if that's the actual recommendation or not), most people recommend changing the fluid at or before 20,000 miles.

The same thing goes for the tranny and front diff. fluid as well.

If you're anywhere near this mileage figure, I'd look into it.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
How many miles are on your car?

While the owners manual may say to change the fluid around 30,000 miles or so (I don't remember if that's the actual recommendation or not), most people recommend changing the fluid at or before 20,000 miles.

The same thing goes for the tranny and front diff. fluid as well.

If you're anywhere near this mileage figure, I'd look into it.
its got only 15,000 and the dealer said that the fluids where good and topped off. they didn't change it or anything. its starting to sound like metal grinding if i step on the gas just right while i'm driving normal.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

I really have no idea then.

Good luck getting it figured out.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

confusing huh?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Ever figure this out? My rear diff ('05 non-MR) has started whining really loud too.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drop the differential and open it up. Make sure that there isn't excessive play between differential and the housing (might need to shim it). The only time a differential starts making sounds is when it has become damaged. Here is my method to detecting drivetrain noise:

Raise car on 4 sturdy jack stands (make sure the car is on a hard level surface, i.e. the garage floor) and fire up the engine. Have your friend sit in the car and put it in 5th gear. This is a little dangerous so be careful. Make sure you steer clear of the spinning wheels and drive shaft. Also make sure the car does not shake loose off the jackstands (be careful where you place them) Run the car to 30-60mph and take a stethoscope and listen to the tranny, transfer case, and rear diff. You will easily be able to tell what is broken. Good luck

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 28, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:33 PM

It's a bit of a long shot but have you/the techs considered checking the brakes out or maybe even the wheel bearings? They can make noises like that as well.