Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Red dust on clutch pressure plate? Could this be bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red dust on clutch pressure plate? Could this be bad?

Okay, heres the thing. I have about 7,500miles on my exedy twin mm022HD ceremetallic clutch. As I was changing the oil I decided to take a look at the clutch through the maintenance hole on the bottom of the bell housing. There wasn't much dust which is a good thing but oh wait a sec! I see a little bit of red dust around the edges of the pressure plate diaphram fingers. hmmm.... is this a sign of misalignment? Or could it be normal? I feel nothing is wrong with the clutch and have done only 1 hard launch at 6k. This thing still grabs like crazy but I'm concerned about the red dust.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrMejia
Okay, heres the thing. I have about 7,500miles on my exedy twin mm022HD ceremetallic clutch. As I was changing the oil I decided to take a look at the clutch through the maintenance hole on the bottom of the bell housing. There wasn't much dust which is a good thing but oh wait a sec! I see a little bit of red dust around the edges of the pressure plate diaphram fingers. hmmm.... is this a sign of misalignment? Or could it be normal? I feel nothing is wrong with the clutch and have done only 1 hard launch at 6k. This thing still grabs like crazy but I'm concerned about the red dust.
I don't know of anything that would produce red dust other than the dust from the flywheel oxidizing. I would see if the dust sticks to a magnet. If it does, I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't, I would be interested to know what is making red dust, but I still wouldn't worry. Clutches are just a bunch of wear surfaces and as they wear they produce dust. I would imagine a large amount of the dust present was due to initial break-in.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... red dust... on a ceremetallic clutch....

Last edited by bolsen; Jun 16, 2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

so theres nothin to worry about eh? I'd like to hear what the exedy engineers have to say about this. Or if someone with the same clutch would be so kind to check out there clutch and see if there is any red dust as well?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrMejia
so theres nothin to worry about eh? I'd like to hear what the exedy engineers have to say about this. Or if someone with the same clutch would be so kind to check out there clutch and see if there is any red dust as well?
I didn't say there is nothing to worry about, it's just that I myself wouldn't worry.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

It's normal
Just swap out mine after about 30,000 miles, notice the dust has a redish tinge to it.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

okay then cool. I'm glad it's nothing big. thanks fellas
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

okay update fellas. Stuck a magnet in there and the dust stuck to it. I'm thinking the light red maroonish color is from the cerametallic disks.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Im in the process of swapping out my stocker. This is the origional clutch and the flywheel is covered in a fine red dust. I thought it was a little odd and desided to search on it and this thread is all that came up.

wtfever it means, i dun like it.

But now that I got it off at least I know why it was grabbin funny.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 04:21 PM

Only thing that concerns me about that is that exedy says to look for red dust when changing clutch and to fix the issue before installing the new one, but they don't say what the issue is