Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Disadvantages of using an Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disadvantages of using an Electronic Boost Controller

I am planning on buying a boost controller soon and i have always been into EBCs. Is there an actual disadvantage (besides the price) in using an electronic boost controller verses a manual one?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:32 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Aside from the price, they can in fact be a pain in the *** to setup.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Id say absolutely none. My old HKS EVC EZ2 (no display) was easy to use and held perfectly consistent boost gear for gear with no spiking. MBCs suck in my for pump gas apps in that you can never set the boost where you want it (higher) in 2nd and 3rd without having to worry about it spiking higher and possibly causing knock in the higher gears.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can personally recommend the HKS EVC V. It's a delight to use and very simple to set up.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Unless you're constantly changing maps, I've always been a fan of the manual controllers. They work as well (and perhaps arguably better) than the electronic for a fraction of the cost.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

so besides the price, complications in installation, and the difficulty to use one, there is no real disadvantage?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:54 AM

I'll give you a specific example, the GReddy Profec E-01.

This one offers features that an MBC can't - like datalogging, multiple displays [peak boost (displayed in your choice of ranges and units of measure), RPM, and AFR for example], and RPM offset (which allows you to hold more boost at high RPM). The main disadvantage to an advanced EBC like that is the learning curve. If you can't be bothered to take the time and figure out how it works, you will be disappointed and will probably make posts about how it is garbage and doesn't work right and is a waste of money. The only other disadvantage I found with the E-01 (once I learned how to use it properly) was finding a good mounting solution.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

There is no real disadvantage. I use the greddy E-01 which has a target learning feature that finds the fastest and most consistent boost setting to get there. Price is what bites you in the ***. If your new to it all than get a MBC, just click it left or right!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have used older profec-B's (now the type-s) and have loved them. Easy to install as well. Rock solid boost control. The Spec 2 is my new EBC of choice I would recommend. You can setup warnings etc on it. Its less complicated than the E-01 mentioned above!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScrappyJack
I'll give you a specific example, the GReddy Profec E-01.

This one offers features that an MBC can't - like datalogging, multiple displays [peak boost (displayed in your choice of ranges and units of measure), RPM, and AFR for example], and RPM offset (which allows you to hold more boost at high RPM). The main disadvantage to an advanced EBC like that is the learning curve. If you can't be bothered to take the time and figure out how it works, you will be disappointed and will probably make posts about how it is garbage and doesn't work right and is a waste of money. The only other disadvantage I found with the E-01 (once I learned how to use it properly) was finding a good mounting solution.
Beat me to it. I mounted it in the glove box!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

well i was thinking about the AVC-R since my brother swears by it in his Turbod EK Hatch. The datalogging feature, boost per gear, and boost duty cycle is what is making me want to learn it. if learning curve is the only disadvantage, then sweet.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Just like everyone else said... Just price. Second disadvantage is getting the wires through the firewall.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the AVC-r isn't even made anymore. It is one of the MOST difficult EBC's to work with
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you buy an HKS EVC V and the solonoid bolws up and HKS wont warranty it, then going out buying a second one and the same damn thing happening in 4 months yeah, I went back to manuals.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
When you buy an HKS EVC V and the solonoid bolws up and HKS wont warranty it, then going out buying a second one and the same damn thing happening in 4 months yeah, I went back to manuals.
Still know word from HKS eh?

Quick Reply: Disadvantages of using an Electronic Boost Controller