Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket Fuel Rails: Perrin vs. Agency Power?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Fuel Rails: Perrin vs. Agency Power?

Well, I'm looking to get an aftermarket fuel rail and I see the Perrin unit which is a little more expensive and the Agency Power unit which appears to be exactly the same for less money. I'm thinking there is no difference, but I'd like to be sure.

I'm doing this mainly so I have a port for my fuel pressure gauge and I have plans for more power down the road. The Perrin unit's port seems to be closer to the middle of the rail, while the AP unit has its port closer to the FPR. Anyone install either of these with a fuel pressure sender?

Any issues, comments, insights?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Also, I'm probably going to do the Adjustable Bolt-On FPR from Lancershop.com while I'm at it, since I'm pulling the fuel system apart. But they're out of stock on those, so does anyone know if it's available with other vendors? Any issues, comments, insights with this unit too?

Is it easier to install the fuel pressure sender on the FPR rather than the fuel rail?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a reason you're messing with these perfectly-good stock parts when you have little-to-no power or mods? I just helped a guy install 1000cc injectors on his stock rail with stock FPR, tuned the 25g, then went out and trapped about 120mph at a mile of elevation. Unless you're about to be making 500+whp, I wouldn't suggest worrying about these mods.

If you are going to be going huge and just don't have any of those mods listed, then I would suggest AMS. Neither Perrin nor AGency Power is a big contributor to the Evo Community, nor do you see Perrin Evos or Agency Power Evos out terrorizing the tracks. I suggest going with what is proven to work on low 10-sec street cars.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen to ^. I think most people with 600whp have the stock fuel rail still.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree. There are too many persons here making a reliable 500+ whp (DJ) with the stock rail and FPR. Since you aren't anywhere near that figure, it's a moot point. Furthermore, with a Walbro HP 255 lph pump, you won't be making anywhere near the power figure whereby maintaining fuel pressure becomes an issue.

In short, you're looking to invest money and time into things you don't need.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though many people are making reliable horsepower with stock fuel rails its better to be safe with a larger center bore fuel rail to prevent any injector pulse lean conditions. But, yes, it all depends on what your future plans are for your car

We actually have 2 sets of perrin fuel rails on clearance right now. Give us a call if you want a set.

Regards,

Daniel
Old Jun 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

^Well said. Nothing wrong with being safe and looking good too! I had a Perrin rail on my old SRT....great looks and quality.

frank
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I thought he was getting this for a port for his fuel pressure gauge? Guess I read his thread wrong. Anyway, they make an adapter that connects to the inlet side of your stock fuel rail, that a certain vendor on this board sells, for $80.00 instead of $160 for the rail. PM me I'll let you know who sells it. Also, I think the pitch of the Perrin rail is 1/8 npt, not 1/8 pt like my Defi gauges. It could be the other way around though so you will have to get an adapter if you have these type of gauges. Peace.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Well shoot, i got the perrin for $120 So i figured it was worth it while replacing my injectors. Looks Pretty to! No real need for it but **** why not?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled

problem is none of the rails are bigger than stock...how could they be if they bolt in to the stock location, using stock feed and return

they look nice and some give you the option of mounting an FPR...but that's it
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:44 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
problem is none of the rails are bigger than stock...how could they be if they bolt in to the stock location, using stock feed and return

they look nice and some give you the option of mounting an FPR...but that's it
What is your definition of "bigger?"
Old Jun 18, 2006, 08:19 PM
Account Disabled

bigger as in the inner diameter - if its the same size as stock, it can only flow as much fuel as stock
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Is there a reason you're messing with these perfectly-good stock parts when you have little-to-no power or mods? I just helped a guy install 1000cc injectors on his stock rail with stock FPR, tuned the 25g, then went out and trapped about 120mph at a mile of elevation. Unless you're about to be making 500+whp, I wouldn't suggest worrying about these mods.

If you are going to be going huge and just don't have any of those mods listed, then I would suggest AMS. Neither Perrin nor AGency Power is a big contributor to the Evo Community, nor do you see Perrin Evos or Agency Power Evos out terrorizing the tracks. I suggest going with what is proven to work on low 10-sec street cars.
I agree with everything you are saying, but for now I'm looking for a clean install for a fuel pressure gauge. I'm not just going to T into my fuel lines. I've seen aftermarket fuel rails that have 1/8 NPT ports as well as some FPRs. I'm going to do this once and do it right. AND it must look purty. I have plans to do cams, ported turbo manifold, meth injection, 20G-whatever turbo, maybe a FMIC etc. in the near future; not nessecarily in that order. I'm looking to do about 28 psi meth injected. My understanding is that I need to do a fuel pump at this level, so I want an adjustable FPR as well. For now, I want my gauges set up. I have them already; they ARE getting installed and the WILL indicate what they are supposed to indicate.

So no, this won't do anything for power for me NOW, but maybe later on. BUT for now at least I won't have some hack job under my hood. I just figured I would do both FPR and rail while I have that portion of the fuel system apart.

So should I just roll with an FPR and skip the fuel rail? I must say I do like how they look, but if people are going to get hostile about it, I guess I could skip it, but...

...for sh*ts and giggles:

Any difference between these two fuel rails?

Also are there any alternatives to these? These are all I've found.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why don't you put a hole in your stock rail then? that's what the aftermarket rails have on them then why not modify your stocker?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
why don't you put a hole in your stock rail then? that's what the aftermarket rails have on them then why not modify your stocker?
I've thought of this but, it doesn't seem like there is enough material to drill, tap, hold and seal the sensor. It might be too small. I'm not sure. Plus if I f*ck up, I won't be happy. I'd rather just hook up to a bolt on unit and save the stocker. I figure I can just start killin' two birds with one stone with an FPR or a fuel rail since I have plans for more power.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fuel Rails: Perrin vs. Agency Power?