Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.1L Spun Rod Bearing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did the bearings actually spin inside the rods? I ask because I can still see the tangs on several.
Did you check clearance when assembled?
There is no wear at the parting line because the bearings are thinner there. If you measure a new bearing with a bearing micrometer (has a ball on one side for the ID of the bearing) you can verify this. This is correct and by design.
If the bearings did spin then you need to get new rods.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the crank journal look like? How much clearance did you have? Did you plasti-gauge them before your put it together?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:36 AM

Did you get the eagle rods? or the manley, from slowboy for the build? i have spoke about this motor before under a different name , my brother has a slowboy 2.1 and has about 10k on it with no complications {yet}, but yeah i first hand have seen some of these 2.1 motors have problems? nobody really knows why... might be the rods, clearences, or multi malfuntion of poop, heck maybe the motor is just an abortion! but if anyone else has any of their 2cent to throw up here go for it....but i really think its probly the machine work and /specs of the rods/bearing clearences remeber were not building 6bolt no longer that u can just slap in good internals and they work. good luck
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:01 PM

sorry note to everyone Eagle doesn't make rods for a 2.1, so u have manley....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I had the Manley rods... I did not plastigauge the bearings. I have decided to just scrap all the 2.1 parts. The only parts that are still fine are the pistons. If anyone is interested in the pistons let me know. I think they are just regular stroker pistons with a 87mm bore.

Since I have the 4g64 crank sitting in my closet in perfect shape I have decided to just finish up the motor as a 2.4. Just ordered some Eagle rods and Wiseco Pistons ( k548M87). Hopefully all the parts come in by this weekend.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeymia
Yeah I had the Manley rods... I did not plastigauge the bearings. I have decided to just scrap all the 2.1 parts. The only parts that are still fine are the pistons. If anyone is interested in the pistons let me know. I think they are just regular stroker pistons with a 87mm bore.

Since I have the 4g64 crank sitting in my closet in perfect shape I have decided to just finish up the motor as a 2.4. Just ordered some Eagle rods and Wiseco Pistons ( k548M87). Hopefully all the parts come in by this weekend.
Don't get the Eagle rods for the 2.4l. We've had two bad sets of them mess up two seperate motors. We switched to the Carillo/Cosworth rods.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joeymia

the pistons are not the same as the stroker pistons. look at the dome ;-) They will only work with the 2.1 configuration. The 2.1 uses the 2.0 crank, so all some one would need is rods. My question is if you didnt plasti gauge the bearings, how can you be sure it was assembled properly? if oil clearnaces were too tight, that would cause bearing failure. there are other 2.1s out there running fine. The one quoted on hre has over 10k on it. Curt is an extreme case, but we will be looking into that one personally. Otherwise there is no correalation with failuers on 2.1s. You have 1k on a motor that never saw over 7500 rpms and wasnt plasti-gauged. CBs was dyno tuned to 9k at 600 AWHP. Did have an issue until at the track. I think the two are seperate issus b/c i know what all the specs and clearnces were on CBs motor. We assembled it, and will look at it and take care of it.

Thanks
Mark
SBR

Last edited by SlowboyMR; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Dude that sucks to hear man...I have had 2 motors go out just like that for me. I am now on my 2.3 build, so i feel your pain$$. Now I am crazy paranoid as every little noise i hear coming from the motor spooks me into thinking that something is wrong. I check the oil like every day if not every other day for any indication of metal. None of the shops could tell me why the bearings spun twice, and none of them gave me a break on labor, or would even entertain that it was a build issue. Hope everything works out.

Last edited by redninja; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8urpride
thats nice, so if it is a "parts" problem then you'll take care of this guy too right!!!!!???? what if its in the design of the custom rod?? if thats the problem what is SBR's answer for everyone they sold a 2.1 too??
How do you come to that conclusion? IF SBR didn't themselves build the engine and the builder acknowledges that he didn't do a recommended process during the build, why would necessarily SBR be at fault? The kit is comprised of aftermarket parts from other companies...if all liability lies elsehwere, shouldn't he be going after the manufacturer and not SBR?

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

thats nice, so if it is a "parts" problem then you'll take care of this guy too right!!!!!???? what if its in the design of the custom rod?? if thats the problem what is SBR's answer for everyone they sold a 2.1 too??
we would take care of that, but right now thats specualtion. We will be double checking CBs engine. But i do not see a correlation between the two motors... Ian... next time dont make your self obvious ;-)

Mark
SBR

Last edited by SlowboyMR; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

Who makes the bearings used in this motor configuration?Are they Clevite,or Mitsu or
Fedral Mogul or Cosworth?Just trying to see how reliable the Cosworth bearings are if anyone is using them,ect...
I realize that bearings that are not properly clearanced will look just like Joey's as will ones that were installed DRY,just don't see any signs of them spinning as like stated eariler,
the tabs are still there and would not be,even if they just began to spin,they would be gone.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPTourer
How do you come to that conclusion? IF SBR didn't themselves build the engine and the builder acknowledges that he didn't do a recommended process during the build, why would necessarily SBR be at fault? The kit is comprised of aftermarket parts from other companies...if all liability lies elsehwere, shouldn't he be going after the manufacturer and not SBR?
One would assume that, but the masses dont like to think that way. Not checking clearnaces on a build is not a good thing. The problem could have been resolved at that point. But thats hind sight, and not too many people think ahead of consequences from not doing such things. This may not have been the problem, but it sucks we cant rule it out like we can on CBs motor b/c i know his were perfect.

Mark
SBR
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:20 PM

yeah, i caught all that and, no Mark I'm not trying to hide, I'm right were you know to find me. {GPTourer dude read what i wrote very slow and the re-read, i said if it a parts oriented"design" failure, like if it has something to do with the rod design, because if it is , then it doesn't matter who machine's it or puts it togather it would fail...... And SBR claims to had Designed the ROD so if Manley built the rod to SBR's exact spec Wouldn't the problem be SBR's..... I see it that way, but like i also said, And mark you know also my brothers motor is 100% fine... no problems, but his motor also doesn't make the power that CB'd did either.. when it does which isn't to faraway, we will know then because SBR fully asembled it also....... and if his spins a rod bearing mark what will be your stand point? but once again,
pats motor has 10,000miles on it and its fine, if was gona throw a bearing it already would of, i believe SBR does build good motors that the 2.1 is a good design from SBR.....

Last edited by evo8urpride; Jun 19, 2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah, i caught all that and, no Mark I'm not trying to hide, I'm right were you know to find me. {GPTourer dude read what i wrote very slow and the re-read, i said if it a parts oriented"design" failure, like if it has something to do with the rod design, because if it is , then it doesn't matter who machine's it or puts it togather it would fail...... And SBR claims to had Designed the ROD so if Manley built the rod to SBR's exact spec Wouldn't the problem be SBR's..... I see it that way, but like i also said, And mark you know also my brothers motor is 100% fine... no problems, but his motor also doesn't make the power that CB'd did either.. when it does which isn't to faraway, we will know then because SBR fully asembled it also....... and if his spins a rod bearing mark what will be your stand point?
I know where Pat will be standing..."in front of your shop"
Keep in mind how long do you want a race motor warrantied for? you brother has put over 10,000 mile son it and has had it at the track a few times.. everything has seemed fine other than his Buschur tune he was complaining about. SO if he get s 15-20k miles and it has issues should I still be expected to warranty a race motor used that much?

Mark
SBR
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:40 PM

I 1000% percent agree, but i'm just saying if there happens to be a flaw in the rod design, will you take care of it? you guys are good dudes and build good motors, but i do believe if there was a flaw Pats motor would already of blown. there is very little track time on his care how ever , he only ever made 5 passes at one track {prp} never been anywhere else or any other track,

Quick Reply: 2.1L Spun Rod Bearing