Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

VAFC on Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAFC on Evo

i have a VAFC left over from my old car, and now that i'm seeing so many people running SAFC's on their evo's, i was wondering if i could just hook up my VAFC without hooking up the wires that control the Vtec crossover. I'm pretty sure the VAFC and SAFC are the same thing, except the VAFC can control the Vtec crossover on Honda's, so i think this may work.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

I could be wrong on this, but I'm probably not. I have an Integra Type R and an Evo 8. VAFC in the Integra, and SAFC2 in the Evo. The VAFC will NOT work on the Evo. Reason being that the SAFC2 has settings for the type of air measuring device used in the car. The Evo uses a Karman Vortex type mass air flow meter. Hondas use speed density (no mass air flow meter, just sensors to determine the amount of air in the intake manifold). Anyway, the VAFC does not have a setting to change the setting to Karman Vortex to work on the Evo.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the help, but its to bad it won't work. By the way, im gonna be going from a Type-R to an Evo, so how would you compare the two cars?

If anyone else has some imput on the VAFC i'd aprecciate your help.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

The ITR and Evo are 2 totally different cars. They're both decently quick, handle extremely well, with good brakes. The ITR definitely feels better if you're a crazy driver that likes to line split or whatever. It's a smaller, lighter car. With the Evo, you can almost feel the weight, but it's AWD keeps everything in check. The Evo definitley has a little bit more power, especially upstairs. The Integra takes a little while to hit top speed. Evo gets there kinda quick. The Integra's shift action feels better than the Evo's, because it uses linkages compared to the Evo's cables. Evo has more interior room, but it's an overall bigger car.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:41 PM

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I guess i'll be selling it and buying an SAFC.