Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bent MAF screen...NE1 else had it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bent MAF screen...NE1 else had it?

I was changing my air filter and noticed the MAF screen is rotated in the slot where it sits in the MAF, with two corners of the honeycomb slightly crushed creating small open air gaps on the opposite corners top and bottom.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have the Injen Intake and UICP kit and nothing has touched the screen before. Looks like the airflow and a weak part (the honeycomb) caused this somehow.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did something like this to, getting it off the airbox (f u ) i bent a few right in the middle so i took a small small screwdriver and strightened them, good as new....maybe you can do that worked for me.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ~EVILEVO~
I did something like this to, getting it off the airbox (f u ) i bent a few right in the middle so i took a small small screwdriver and strightened them, good as new....maybe you can do that worked for me.
I bent mine in a similar fashion, and didn't want to take any chances, so I bought a new one. It may work (straightening the honeycomb), but it probably isn't as good as new.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

you use an alan key with the same dimensions...i forget what size but it should repair it. You wont notice a difference.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sap12687
you use an alan key with the same dimensions...i forget what size but it should repair it. You wont notice a difference.

Good idea learn something here everyday !!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My MAF screen is a bit bent up as well. I was thinking of removing it altogether. Has anyone actually done this?

I understand that by removing it one upsets the laminar flow, and etc. And also that the MAF´s resolution would be messed up at part throttle...but my guess is that it wouldn´t hurt at WOT in fact there would be an increase of airflow because that wafflie thing is an obstruction isn´t it?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is bent around the edges right at 2 diagonally opposite corners, not in the middle--it sort of crushed in these two areas allowing it to wiggle or rotate.

I can't get an allen wrench in those corners and under the crushed sections, and even if I could, I don't want to straighten the aluminum pieces that have already been bent once and seriously weakened in the process. Imagine what will happen to my turbo or cylinders if some of these little metal chips break off and get sucked into the airflow.