Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fujita Intake...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeWalker4G63
The hardware that this system comes with is better than the Injen. T-bolt clamps and the silicon couplers look to be of better quality as well. The price however does not substantiate the cost of t-bolt clamps and brand name couplers. I think you'd be just as happy with the Injen and your wallet would be too.
I have to agree the t-bolts and the silcone used on the Fujita intake are much better than the injen stuff. the Filter on the fujita is much much better than the injen. but i still dont see $200 difference. Im still a fan of the Stock Air Box with a K&N and call it a day.

Last edited by GregGSC; Jun 22, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smart man. Your APS CAI is plenty good...

Now get an mbc, bov, and tune followed by cams and licp...
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I guess I was suffering from a case of wishful thinking to assume that CAI stood for anything other than cold-air-intake. You know what they say when you assume?

Warrtalon,
I understand that the UICP has proven not to add any gains and yet there are some of us that choose to run them anyway and for whatever reason. I've done my reSEARCHing on the forum and I haven't found the answer to whether or not this system has any gains worth mentioning. What are you substantiating your claims that this system doesn't add any gains on? Do share the knowledge.

Al, since you tuned the car, and Inphluence, since it is your car, were there any gains worth mentioning or did the purchase of this system fall into the "if I could do it all over again" category?

Just in case anyone wants to see what the system comes with, here it goes...

Go figure... The file doesn't attach. Great. In the photo, it does look like it has both the UICP and the LICP along with the short ram with all of the necessary items for installing the system. Again, maybe this is another case of wishful thinking for me to assume that they say it comes with all three and then they post a photo of the system with three pipes . I can just email it to whomever is interested and then maybe you'll have luck posting it. I am just a newbie afterall. I'm not ready for that advanced stuff !
Most aftermarket intakes are prob designed by who knows what or whom and its fascinating hos 90% of them have a unique "MAF distortion signature"

The stock air box is very linear and smooth tunnel in which the air flow is measured in a very flat and even manner

Most aftermarket intakes have a consistant "distortion" of the mass air flow which changes the smooth and linear pattern and alters the tuning on the car

Ideally you would want a intake which increases the air flow ehile not altering the MAF sesnor air flow patterns

As a tuner, I have been able to work with a huge variety of intakes by researching the "pattern" of each brand of intake and making maps to match each specific intake by brand

As a result you wind up with multiple base calibrations for various intakes at various mods levels - (Stage 1 - 4 to use Buschur Terminology) and various octane and elevation levels

Most of the performance intakes LEAN out the mixture in the mid range which requires extra fueling in certain rpm and load points to produce a smooth a/f in the desired target level

As far as untimate performance its irrevelevant which intaake you use as long as the tune is set up to even out an distortions which exisit

I personally prefer the Buschur and HKS intakes as they seem to make the most power and are very consistant in hwo they distort the maf signal which makes for a consistant tuen car to car

This new intake concept of the "tuned" intake is a performance intake which mimics the MAF response of the stock air box and is "tuned" so that the a/f is not effected and distorted by the intake

In other words the intake is "tuned" to the car

This results in a a/f fuel map which has all the same numbers across the power band

Once you realize what you are dealing with its actually easier to tune - but in this case I was tsrating with a standard INJEN map and it was way off and required an unusaly large amount of adjustment

I want to clarify what I have said as far as general explanation of what I consider a "tuned" intake by stating that I have no idea if this result I have observed is a specific design feature of this spefici intake of if it is just a coinicidence of design - time will tell as I tune more of these inatkes

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jun 22, 2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting post Al. I wonder if these Fujita guys are on to something with the Evo's?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
As far as untimate performance its irrevelevant which intaake you use as long as the tune is set up to even out an distortions which exisit
Big Al, sir.
This makes pretty good sense to me now. There was really nothing out on the APS CAI when I initially purchased it and then when I started reading that the masses were using different systems, I thought that I'd made a mistake in purchasing it hence the start of this thread. I was under the assumption that because of my having the APS, that getting a mail-in flash was out of the question and it was going to take a custom tune to get things working to their fullest. Now I understand that's not the case. And when I thought that the Fujita came with the "true" LICP, I thought, "Winner!" I see that's not the case either.

On a side note and to keep the integrity of this thread in tact, Warrtalon, I do have the MBC and the Forge RS BOV coming just in time for my ECUflash. I'm excited to see how the car performs on my drive from Tacoma to Austin next month. The LICP and cams will have to wait until after Iraq.

As always, I thank you fellahs for taking the time to educate "da newbie". I have more questions and if I can't find them through the infamous search engine, there WILL be more threads started.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you AL for another great post with useful information! Good to see we have some knowledgeable people on here without attitudes!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
On a side note and to keep the integrity of this thread in tact, Warrtalon, I do have the MBC and the Forge RS BOV coming just in time for my ECUflash.
Excellent. Just be sure you do a Walbro fuel pump at the same time.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Shawn, why did you say this comes with the LICP? The LICP is the other side of the FMIC. This is just the 2 sections of piping that make up the UICP. The lower portion of the UICP is not referred to as the LICP.
When I refer to the lower intercooler pipe I'm talking about the one that comes from the turbo to the intercooler. Ther other side is always the upper pipe no matter how many pipes there are.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

We don't call it an up-pipe - that's on Subies. For us, that is the LICP. Referring to the bottom half the UICP is unwise on an Evo, because that whole thing is the UICP. You don't just replace one half of it...
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

We don't call it an up-pipe - that's on Subies. For us, that is the LICP. Referring to the bottom half the UICP is unwise on an Evo, because that whole thing is the UICP. You don't just replace one half of it...
Umm I dont think you read my post.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Ah yes, I didn't read closely. IF this is the case, then why did you say this kit includes an LICP when it clearly does not?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

At Sema I was told by the Fujita rep that it included all intercooler piping. This is why I said it comes with the "LICP". After seeing all these post saying it does not I just now called Fujita to find out. I was told wrong at SEMA. The kit does not include the "LICP".
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

I 'm not sure about you but most people I talk to about evo think of the driver side IC pipe as the upper or UICP. Check out bushers site they even list it that way.
As far as Subies the up pipe is for exhaust not the intercooler.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eclipsed Evo
I 'm not sure about you but most people I talk to about evo think of the driver side IC pipe as the upper or UICP. Check out bushers site they even list it that way.
As far as Subies the up pipe is for exhaust not the intercooler.
You're just agreeing with me. I was trying to refute your claim that this kit came with an LICP when there wasn't one in the pics, regardless of what some guy said. It's likely the guy at SEMA was confused and referred to the lower half of the UICP as the LICP. When you said this kit included the LICP, the only assumption I could make was that you thought the lower half was the LICP. We're all straight now.