Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin scroll T3 manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should drive it home today. I'm taking it to the house to remove everything for thermal coatings. I need the space at my shop. Anyway here are some new pics.
Attached Thumbnails Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0004_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0008_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0012_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0013_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0014_edited-1.jpg  

Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Couple under the hood
Attached Thumbnails Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0015_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0016_edited-1.jpg   Twin scroll T3 manifold-dscf0017_edited-1.jpg  
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Divided wastegate housing......but why?

Scorke
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn sick!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
The idea is to enable the use of one wastegate instead of two. TiAl 44mm WGs aren't cheap!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke

Scorke
It wouldn't be a true divided housing if I let the paired pulses mingle before the wastgate releases. It would defeat the purpose of keeping everything separate, and like Ted said 44mm aren't cheap
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There is no purpose to keeping the pulses separate going into the wastegate. The pulses are kept separate going onto the turbo in order to bombard the turbine with a bunch of small pulses, rather than pulses of mixed sizes. The pulses going into the wastegate never see the turbine. So how is it helpful to keep them divided?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work. I sent you a PM regarding 2 of your items!

Also - can I see a pic of the catch can in one of your pics. Looks similar to Mr. Saikou's catch cans!

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Jun 27, 2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
There is no purpose to keeping the pulses separate going into the wastegate. The pulses are kept separate going onto the turbo in order to bombard the turbine with a bunch of small pulses, rather than pulses of mixed sizes. The pulses going into the wastegate never see the turbine. So how is it helpful to keep them divided?
You can build your twin scroll any way you like.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
The "feed tubes" to the wastegate are attached to the manifold, so if they merge then there is a flow path for the pulses to bleed into the other half of the manifold.

Dividing the wastegate feed is the proper way to build a divided manifold with a single wastegate.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

You could also weld a v-band flange onto the turbine housing and run a single wastegate there... I know FP makes these housings for the GT35R, not sure 'bout other turbos.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
FWIW, he did a meticulous job of keeping the flow path divided, right into the WG. My hunch is that it should work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Twin scroll T3 manifold-wg-entry.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JKav
The "feed tubes" to the wastegate are attached to the manifold, so if they merge then there is a flow path for the pulses to bleed into the other half of the manifold.

Dividing the wastegate feed is the proper way to build a divided manifold with a single wastegate.
I understand the theory. I drilled a hole in my exhaust one day about 1.25 inch in diameter. Then I built a flapper to cover the hole with a spring that held it shut. I was attempting to build a super simple exhaust cutout. It didn't work so well for two reasons. One, it flapped open and shut at idle and was very noisy. Second, it stayed shut when car was under high boost. The exhaust gasses passing by even though under great pressure sucked the door shut rather than open it. The waste gate channel operates in a similiar fassion. The gasses take the path of least resistance. They dont like to make 90 degree turns. They dont go into the channel until the wastegate door opens. When the door is open there is a severe differential in pressure and the gasses will flood the channel and pass out the wastegate. When the door is closed the channel is at or near the same pressure as the passing gasses. The easiest path at that point is a straight one, right past the channel. It may be that the divider is actually a bit of flow hinderance and would work better without it. Gasses dont flow well next to walls. Thats why twin scroll a/r numbers have to be larger than a single counterpart.

Check out hondas new twin flow exhaust housing. It is of way better design.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

The divider is doing it's job. This is after about a 10mi. ride to my house. Don't pay any attention to the "line" in relation to the outlet of the wg. I put different spring in the wg today and I spun the valve while assembling it. I would normally line up almost exactly halving the exit.

Jerry, as far as the divider goes, that is how my turbine housing is from Mitsubishi and it is the sought after housing. Mainly because it is a 10.5, but there are 10.5's with two holes as opposed to one large hole with a divider and the divided single hole is said to be better. I'm not an M.E. . I'm just a lowly fabricator, but I believe there is a reason why Mitsubishi divided the exhaust right up until the wg valve opens, and that was one of the reasons I did it. The wastegate as it was set up controlled boost as low as 5.8 psi so it flows well enough at low pressure. How about instead of speculating whether or not this set up is stupid, let me get the parts back from coating, get them on the car and go dyno it and see if it works well or not.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Twin scroll T3 manifold-resize_edited-3.jpg  
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
The concept of the divider should reduce turbulence that can be experience when dumping into a large area. This may be the reason the Works O2 housing has been getting bad press in comparison to the $70 e-bay special as it dumps the WG and Turbine into a large area, which is not ideal. Ideal circumstances want the transition from small to large to occur at a 3deg-5deg taper. For those who have taken fluid dynamics or anyone who models air flow will understand. MPFab's attention to such detail is apparent. If I didn't do my own fab work I, I would certainly opt to take advantage of MPFab's skills.

Quick Reply: Twin scroll T3 manifold