Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aquamist 2d water injection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquamist 2d water injection

I was just wondering if anyone was running the aquamist 2d water injection setup. Seems like a very well put together water injection system but is it worth the $850 its going for. I also read that it has a fail safe incase the nozzle gets cloged. That alone makes me want to go with this system.

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
$850 water injection =

$500 methanol injection -

Just a little food for thought . . .
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

being able to drive around w/ a aquamist system, will no worries, priceless.

the combination of the (2D+DDS3) system will take care of your car by not letting the boost pressure exceed wastegate pressure ~11psig on a stock setup when a fault is detected:
-low fluid in the injectant tank
-clog in the nozzle(low flow)
-a leak in the line(high flow)
-something wrong with the race pump

the system in always in a "safe mode" and only when all the above conditions is satisfied, then a solenoid will be actuated to allow for boost to exceed wastegate pressure.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having run Richard's 2D for what seems like several years, I can say that the Aquamist system is indeed topnotch. The materials and support are wonderful.

On the downside you have the expense and unless you are inclined there is instillation. Not really difficult, the evo engine bay is not condusive to easy installations. A well thought out system with a total concept instillation will help. Nothing is more awkward than realizing you have to run another wire through a difficult path, when if you had thought of it before it might have been run with ease with the fender off or wheel liner, whatever.
(if in doubt I would highly recommend running a spare wiring bundle, for just in case)

the 2d with DDS3 is a perfect system, for those without an aftermarket ems.(and for those with too, although a little redundant)
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

It is definatly worth the money, Aquamist has by far the most supirior injection setup there is available.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

the aquamist system is not a ghetto rig of off the shelf parts...check out the quality
Attached Thumbnails Aquamist 2d water injection-aquamist1.jpg  
Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

No question that it looks to be a quality piece, and the increased cost is justifiable. The crux of my 'food for thought' blurb was essentially that for $500, $850, or whatever, methanol delivers far more smiles per mile.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the best of both worlds on my Eclipse.

I used the FIA2/HSV from the aquamist 2D system and used a Shurflo pump so that I could run as much Methanol as I wanted.

The good thing about the FIA2/HSV from Aquamist is that it is the only controller out there that will let you have true progressive injection. The FIA2 takes the signal from one of your fuel injectors and pulses the HSV (high speed solenoid valve) at the same rate. So, if you want a 20% methanol:fuel ratio, you just buy the right size nozzles and you're done.

The other kits on the market just turn on at a set boost, creating too much injection early on in the RPM range, which can cause bogging, and too little in the higher RPM range, where you may end up knocking and blowing your engine.

Just my $.02

Eric
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
The other kits on the market just turn on at a set boost, creating too much injection early on in the RPM range, which can cause bogging, and too little in the higher RPM range, where you may end up knocking and blowing your engine.
This is not entirely true. The SMC kit (which I use presently - and to great effect), has two adjustable boost set points. One triggers the injection activation point, the other is the point whereby maximum flow is reached. This effectively creates a user definable, linear flow-rate ramp.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
This is not entirely true. The SMC kit (which I use presently - and to great effect), has two adjustable boost set points. One triggers the injection activation point, the other is the point whereby maximum flow is reached. This effectively creates a user definable, linear flow-rate ramp.

Ted,

That only gives you a user definable linear rate during boost ramp-up. Once you reach full boost, you do not a have a linear injection:fuel ratio anymore. That's my point.

Let's say you reach full boost at 4500RPM and your redline is 7500RPM. With your system, you would be getting a smaller and smaller inection:fuel ratio as you went from 4500-7500RPM.

The FIA2 matches the fuel injector signal so that you ALWAYS have a CONSTANT injection:fuel ratio, which is really what should be desired.

Eric
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

what all said, piece of mind is what i consider most important to me. If conditions are not conducive to boost, you will not be able to boost above the wastegate pressure.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

That only gives you a user definable linear rate during boost ramp-up. Once you reach full boost, you do not a have a linear injection:fuel ratio anymore. That's my point.
I'm already well aware of this. However, if I find myself really concerned about linearity, I'd simply up the injector capacity and prolong the ramp rate. Given the power characteristics around which I designed my system, the phenomenon of diminishing returns was a non-issue, as I believe it should be around any system that is properly configured for the specific application.

The FIA2 matches the fuel injector signal so that you ALWAYS have a CONSTANT injection:fuel ratio, which is really what should be desired.
This ratio will be relatively constant for a normally aspirated engine, but not for a turbo engine unless the controller applies injection constantly taking into account the changing manifold pressure as well. The Aquamist 2d kit does not do this (according to their literature), so the system is not linear with a turbo application.

Personally speaking, I feel this is getting far more meticulous than it's worth especially if one is playing with water.

Last edited by Ted B; Jun 26, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Taken from another board

Originally Posted by Vijay

No the DDS3 is a great add-on to any system. One thing to keep in mind is it can only read flow up to 1000cc/min, which assuming a BSFC of around 1.3 for a FI/Methanol car is about ~75HP worth of methanol at full blast. With a 150psi pump and a M15 nozzle you would max out the flow sensor at full ramp. At 100psi it would be right on the border with about 50cc/min left to go.

To give you an idea, Stacy's car sprays over 2000cc/min of methanol...or about 175HP worth.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Just my $.02

Eric
I believe the Coolingmist kit is capable of this as well. I could be wrong though
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
This ratio will be relatively constant for a normally aspirated engine, but not for a turbo engine unless the controller applies injection constantly taking into account the changing manifold pressure as well. The Aquamist 2d kit does not do this (according to their literature), so the system is not linear with a turbo application.

Personally speaking, I feel this is getting far more meticulous than it's worth especially if one is playing with water.
Ted,

I think you are looking past what I am saying. All I am saying is that the injection, whether it be methanol, water, or anything, to fuel will be constant using the FIA2, with forced induction or not, because of the matching of the fuel injector signal. I didn't use the 2d system. I built my own custom system, but I used the FIA2/HSV so that I can have this constant injection:fuel ratio. You don't need to monitor manifold pressure. Your fuel system already does that itself. All you should care about is that you are getting the same injection ratio throught the RPM range, regardless of manifold pressure.

For example, I wanted about a 17% methanol/water:fuel ratio. So, all I had to do was multiply the injectors cc capacity by 4 then take 17% and install the nozzle(s) that flowed that value at the psi I was injecting at. No matter what RPM or what boost, the injection:fuel ratio would be constant at 17% because the FIA2 would drive the HSV at the same rate as the injector was being driven by the ECU.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 26, 2006 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Aquamist 2d water injection