Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS LICP vs EBAY LICP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'm always seeing threads asking about the EBAY LICP but there is very little info about it. Most people will tell you to avoid EBAY products like the plague. I decided to buy one and compare it to my AMS LICP.

Basically the pipes are nearly identical. The only difference is weight. The AMS pipe is made of aluminum and the ebay pipe is steel. I have tried both and they perform the exact same. The only minor differences is the ebay pipe has a tad smaller mid coupler. That being said the ebay pipe also comes with T-bolt clamps.

I would say the ebay LICP is as good as any if not better than most LICPs.

Here are a few pics:

Don't make the mistake of assuming that "ebay" is a brand. Just because you see one lower intercooler pipe that rips off AMS's design, doesn't mean that EVERY ebay vendor is selling that exact lower intercooler pipe.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Um.... whatever you say.... I'm simply pointing out a good deal. Its still $100 for a short bent pipe but that's supply and demand for you.

If you want to see why I think most vendors prices are too high search for this and check the price on it:

02-06 Impreza WRX STi FMIC Intercooler w/ Piping Kit 05

I'm half temped to buy it and make it work on my EVO!

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jun 5, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um.... whatever you say.... I'm simply pointing out a good deal. Its still $100 for a short bent pipe but that's supply and demand for you.

I see one of the four just sold LOL!
fighters garage sells one just like the AMS. feel the spool earlier compare to stock ones!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports

There simply isnt alot to make in this industry.

Eric
I don't believe it. You guys work on cars and sell your wares just for the fun of it then?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

I don't need the bling of polished aluminum.. it could be natural aluminum or **** yellow for all I care. Make it cheaper and more will buy it!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talk about being exact to AMS and saving some big bucks!

check out ebay item # 280122472042
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

This one of those parts I'd definitely buy from Ebay. FMIC? Probably not.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's too bad they're always pawning off some other crappy pipe with the LICP. Wouldn't it be nice to get exactly what we wanted for like $60 shipped?

At least they are now making them in aluminum. Although I managed to dent my AMS pipe with a clamp and I doubt that would happen to a steel one.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Item number: 180077831930
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

At least they are now making them in aluminum. Although I managed to dent my AMS pipe with a clamp and I doubt that would happen to a steel one.
Thats the exact reason I think steel makes better IC pipes. The differences between steel and aluminum when it comes to heat transfer and weight is incredibly negligible in IC pipes. However aluminum bends much easier and I like to make sure my IC pipes NEVER come off! Thats why I have the Buschur IC piping.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think many of you are looking at the major advantage the ams LIC pipe has over the Ebay one. Sure one pound isn't much of a difference but you're simply not looking at the correct factor. Aluminum is a much better material at dissipating heat over metal. Why do you think our coke cans are also made out of aluminum. Metal retains heat and in the end those precious temperatures in the lower intercooler pipe is what makes the difference in a race. Just some food for thought.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

They just said earlier in the thread that there is aluminum ones on ebay as well. So there goes your theory

I agree with the licp/uicp bit. There is just no reason it should be that expensive. 500 for the full kit from nisei? For some pipes? Your serious? I am all about only putting nice parts on my car, but seriously, its just pipes welded together. I can buy 2ply couplers from allhose down the street in any color I want. This isnt rocket science, seriously.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
I don't think many of you are looking at the major advantage the ams LIC pipe has over the Ebay one. Sure one pound isn't much of a difference but you're simply not looking at the correct factor. Aluminum is a much better material at dissipating heat over metal. Why do you think our coke cans are also made out of aluminum. Metal retains heat and in the end those precious temperatures in the lower intercooler pipe is what makes the difference in a race. Just some food for thought.
coke cans are made out of aluminum because if they weren't, every meat head would have a concussion when he attempted to crush the can on his head... and as for getting rid of heat, i thought thats what you bought a quality FMIC for????
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
Aluminum is a much better material at dissipating heat over metal. Why do you think our coke cans are also made out of aluminum. Metal retains heat and in the end those precious temperatures in the lower intercooler pipe is what makes the difference in a race. Just some food for thought.
No it doesnt and the difference is completely negligible. It looks good on paper, doesnt do a damn thing extra. There is absolutely no evidence AL IC pipes make more power than steel ones.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another point that I didnt make is the cost of material and labor. We are making these in house whereas the Ebay versions are being made oversease where production costs are FAR less.

As for fitament... you got lucky. we made a post about 2 months ago where a car came in with an EBAY pipe and FMIC and the fitament was horrible. The cheap couplers continued to pop off and in the end we had to put our pipe on to cure the problem.

You get what you pay for

Eric

Quick Reply: AMS LICP vs EBAY LICP