Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS LICP vs EBAY LICP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Always keeping this up to date I guess.....

I see once again there are more options:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...em260146735341

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...em260146735346
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMALL MODIFICATION OR ADJUSTMENTS MIGHT BE NEEDED

Wow that IC piping look like it fits! I also like the auction you posted that shows the IC piping only also comes with the bracket to hold the FMIC...wtf?!?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

u get wat u pay for
i won't mass with ebay stuff, for my evo
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

It's kinda hard to screw up a pipe. Back in the day I used to buy cold air intakes for Honda's and customize them for different cars. You could buy the honda stuff for $40 make 2 cuts with a chop saw and sell it for a different car at $120.

Pipes are pipes and some vendors are pricing parts/raping customers based on vehicle value instead of fairly pricing the actual part.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
It's kinda hard to screw up a pipe. Back in the day I used to buy cold air intakes for Honda's and customize them for different cars. You could buy the honda stuff for $40 make 2 cuts with a chop saw and sell it for a different car at $120.

Pipes are pipes and some vendors are pricing parts/raping customers based on vehicle value instead of fairly pricing the actual part.
Jeff, I appreciate what you've done, but you really need to stop all the nasty comments about vendors "raping" people. If you actually know a vendor, ask them how much they make on parts. It isn't near as much as you think in most cases.

The difference in the cost of these two pipes is mostly based on material and location of manufacture. I would be willing to bet the profit margin on the Asian pipes is actually higher than the AMS pipes. I know from personal experience, there isn't much money to be made with LICP.

There is a large turbo kit manufacturer local to me that looked into making LICPs and it wasn't worth it for them and they can do everything in house. Another vendor I know can make 4 manifolds in Asia for what it cost to build one in the States, same design and materials.

Again, nothing wrong with your thread, just stop the baseless attacks.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:46 AM

Well, I'm glad some people appreaciate this information.

On a side note, both units (being identical) fit perfectly on my eight.

I still think the price of IC pipes in general are silly expensive.

Vendors would sell alot more product if they didn't try to rape customers.....and its not the price of R&D because these pipes are nearly identical to stock less the diameter change.
I agree with that 100% It's an I/C pipe, not a turbine engine. Honestly, how much R&D went into that licp that?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by outbost
I agree with that 100% It's an I/C pipe, not a turbine engine. Honestly, how much R&D went into that licp that?

I think anyone who doesnt agree should question their own common sense.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to see just how someone would install the IC piping you linked to a few posts up.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO

Originally Posted by outbost
I think anyone who doesnt agree should question their own common sense.
+ 1 more.
I got my AMS LICP used for $150. and had a spare made for $75. at Tech School by a kid in their summer program.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Wow alot of Evos are buying these ebay products ..
should be called ebay evos instead ...
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
I'd be interested to see just how someone would install the IC piping you linked to a few posts up.
I'm half temped to try it. I need an upper hard pipe for the nitrous nozzle.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

I can attest that materials and time that went into designing the PPI Lower IC pipe will not allow huge profit margins as suggested. It is possible to get cheap aluminum tubing used on the Ebay setups although we feel it is cheating the customer out of long lasting quality. We could have designed one pipe and considered the fitment issues acceptable, although we didn't and made multiple pipes to make sure fitment is 100%. We could have used bottom line equipment to design our IC pipe but we didn't. We could have not designed it in CAD first; but we didn't. I can go on and on here. The same goes with our battery tray, which has a TON of development time and it has not sold the volumes and is priced competively but goes over looked.

All of these extras can sometimes be forgot about. It will take a considerable volume before these costs and time can be repaid. I doubt that we will reach that volume because the market is already pretty saturated. To make it worse on a profit stand point we can't charge more to balance the scales because then we won't sell any.

Check it out, you will not be disappointed:
http://www.paradigmperformance.net/p.../evo/licp.html
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I was lucky, when I bought my Turbo Kit from AMS it came with a LICP. I agree that they are basically all the same, but this is America. We waste money all the time on needless/useless things.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

I've spotted these 2 for the month of November.. who can vouch for either one? Both around $100

Seller: performance2point0 <- Appears to be the one the OP reviewed

Seller: ilovetacotaco <- Looks like a better bargain if the piping is an improvement
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I would guess the both would fit but the top one looks better to me.

I still think the LICP is a vapor ware mod. Just because the aftermarket pipe gets bigger faster doesn't mean its any better flowing. I don't think the stock pipe is a bottleneck. It just isn't as pretty. The pipe coming off the turbo is the same size as the LICP.

Quick Reply: AMS LICP vs EBAY LICP