Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost gauge mechanical install help!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2003, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question boost gauge mechanical install help!!

i my gauge came in today, with tubing and everything, but what do i connect it to?
somebody please tell me, any pics??
thanks in advance guys

pete
silver evo8
Old Apr 22, 2003, 03:24 PM

Dont you just splice into the vacuum line and then run the electrical?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Your gauge should have come with a 3-way connector. You should be using the vacuum line for the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). I will post a pic when i get home.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Option2
Your gauge should have come with a 3-way connector. You should be using the vacuum line for the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). I will post a pic when i get home.
That is a great picture. Your gauge is already hooked up right? Now do you have any pics of where to put the manual boost controller??
Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Here you go....basically you have to put a valve between the source of the vacuum line and the wastegate....

Old Apr 23, 2003, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

The boost controller goes between the wastegate and the outlet side of the turbo. You won't find any vacuum line running up to the intake manifold, such as shown in the image above. There are two vacuum lines close together on the turbo/wastegate assembly, and its pretty obvious when you get the intercooler pipes out of the way so you can see the turbo itself.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

So Option2's diagram is wrong? I want to do this after work tonight, so any help is appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Its easy, there is a single 3/16" line running down to the turbu along the intake tube from the filter box area. It has a "Y" fitting into two lines, one of those lines runs to the wastegate on the side of the turbo, the other to the outlet side of the turbo. Basically you disconnect those two lines from the turbo, plug em off and zip-tie them out of the way. Then run two lengths of vacuum line from where the old lines were connected up to your boost controller. Thats it.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks 2cool----that's the best description I've gotten so far.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Isnt there a vacuum line behind the dash? I thought someone mentioned all the lines where there for the Mitsu sports meter kit. That would be much easier to tap in to.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info/help guys. I got everything hooked up tonight and it works great. I will have some pics of the install with some notes for others in the next few days. I also looked for a vacuum line behind the dash and found none. I don't think the gauges are pre-wired.

Thanks again to all.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yah, I did the same thing, and found no obvious connections for anything in the "Meter kit" Which means your basically paying for the garnish, and a DIN panel.. Because those gauges are probably VDO or some other inexpensive electric gauge.

Now the boost controller issue still baffles me.. But tracing the lines from the wastegate actuator is probably the easiest bit of advice..
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
option2 is the colour pix u posted above. Is that a install by dealership? becasue the fuel presser regulater is easyer to reach then wastegate.
So is there more then 1 place u can spit a vaccum line to run to the boast gauge. But the colour pix u posted seems the easyest to reach. I just want to slpit the same line dealership use for the boast line.

pls help I have no clue about turbo. this is my 1st turbo car
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

You normally wouldn't want to tap into the wastegate vacuum line for your boost gauge. There is also another vacuum line source you can use. It sits on top of the valve cover (upper right hand corner) I chose the FPR because it is somewhat hidden and yet still easy to get to. My boost gauge was not installed by Mitsu.

Quick Reply: boost gauge mechanical install help!!