Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

buddies bran new evo ix with "service engine light" with only 27 miles????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did it today. I'm taking it back in asap. New evo ix, did it at 250mi. Less than 24hrs old.
I did find this. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...n-flow-egr.php
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

happen to me there is a hose disconnected. its behind the throttle bottle there is a nipple that the hose goes into
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...cel+code+p0401
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
i beat my car hard from day one as an experiment, its running great and has 38k now.

hehehe
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Nope, mine is connected.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sinajoon5
hey guys guess what.... the light came back on... so now we went to autozone and grabbed the scan tool... the code came up "P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient"... we dont know what that is so were goin to take it to the dealer tomorrow... do any of you know what this is and if its still safe enough to drive the car around???

That means your EGR valve is not working, has a leak, or the solenoid failed. I'm surpised its happening to you so soon. Just take it back and your car should be fine driving around. Pretty much any emissions code will not effect your performance and is not harmful to drive around. Take it back to the dealer asap.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Dont worry about that code as far as being able to drive the car. EGR malfunction will not hurt the car to drive it around. It just wouldnt pass emissions test.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

well, it may screw up the break in period. I believe in this type of break in for the explainded reasons
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
That code I believe put the ECU into super safe mode, richen the map and mess up the high heat ring seal break in as above. You can literly hear "knock" WOT about 3.5krpm. It really is BS that the thing would fail at 250 miles. and to think. I have two WRX's to start comparing this evo too. LOL
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

so he took it back to the dealership and it turns out the egr solinoid was cracked... it wasnt that it was disconnected it was just leaking because of the crack... do you think this would have made any effect on the break in period??? he pushed it really hard with the egr solinoid broken... he said it felt the exact same after he got it back so i dont think it had that much of an effect at all...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt it. after some more research I found out the code doesn't affect performance, just another emessions BS thinga majiger.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Mine threw the P0401 after my dyno tune. It turns out the vacuum hose to the EGR was off as mentioned here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69771. Reconnected it, and haven't had a problem since.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the EGR code for about 6 months and would check everyweek to make sure all three hoses were in and they always were. I ordered a new EGR valve and solenoid, then it went away. After 6 months of resetting CEL's it went away. That was two years ago and hasn't come back since.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sinajoon5
so he took it back to the dealership and it turns out the egr solinoid was cracked... it wasnt that it was disconnected it was just leaking because of the crack... do you think this would have made any effect on the break in period??? he pushed it really hard with the egr solinoid broken... he said it felt the exact same after he got it back so i dont think it had that much of an effect at all...
The EGR has no effect on the break-in of an engine. The engine comes from the factory ready to beat on, there is no break-in period. The car should be fine.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'm partial to the soft break in, but it's shown that a hard break in does work also. Whatever way you go, change the oil after 1000 miles or even sooner. Get all the shavings and crap out!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

i broke 2 evos in hard and had no problems motor wise with either one of them. All of the evo sold in the US are broken in before we even buy them. Rings seat immediately. 500, 1000, 5000 miles means nothing, theres no (engine timer) under your hood that counts how many miles you put on the car and then tells you you can beat on it.

Quick Reply: buddies bran new evo ix with "service engine light" with only 27 miles????