Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

buddies bran new evo ix with "service engine light" with only 27 miles????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buddies bran new evo ix with "service engine light" with only 27 miles????

so my buddy just bought his bran new evo IX and we drove it off the lot with only 5 miles on the odometer... he was contemplating how to break in the motor... he was telling me how he read on this forum that it would be better to break it in somewhat hard... so were on the freeway heading back home and he was avoiding keeping the RPM in the same spot so he would floor it to about 5500-6000 and let off... he did that about 4-5 times... as soon as we get off the highway about 2 street lights later once we come to a stop the "service engine soon" light came on with only 27 miles... he started panicing and i kept calming him down saying its ok well just go back to the dealership tomorrow morning... now im too eager to wait until tomorrow so i came on here to see if this has happened to any of you guys??? any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sinajoon5
so my buddy just bought his bran new evo IX and we drove it off the lot with only 5 miles on the odometer... he was contemplating how to break in the motor... he was telling me how he read on this forum that it would be better to break it in somewhat hard... so were on the freeway heading back home and he was avoiding keeping the RPM in the same spot so he would floor it to about 5500-6000 and let off... he did that about 4-5 times... as soon as we get off the highway about 2 street lights later once we come to a stop the "service engine soon" light came on with only 27 miles... he started panicing and i kept calming him down saying its ok well just go back to the dealership tomorrow morning... now im too eager to wait until tomorrow so i came on here to see if this has happened to any of you guys??? any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks

So you're telling us that he bought the car new, and as soon as he drove it off the lot, he started beating the crap out of it? Is'nt there like a 1,000 mile or 500 mile break in period?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
So you're telling us that he bought the car new, and as soon as he drove it off the lot, he started beating the crap out of it? Is'nt there like a 1,000 mile or 500 mile break in period?
he didnt go all the way up to redline but he was reading about how to break it in all morning because he knew he was going to get it today.... he was reading some article and it was saying the first 20 miles are the most important part in breaking in the car... 80% of the break in period of the car was the first 20 miles and cars that were abused more from the begining ended up putting down more power on the dyno...

this is the link:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

anyone else???
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Mototune is a good guide to break in piston rings, but not much else. Doing that kind of break in abuses every other part of the car.

Remember, a break in period considers EVERY part of the motor and transmission. Using the Mototune guide is probably not the best consideration in light of that.

As regards to the code, unless you can pull it and give a number I doubt anyone will be able to answer your question. Hope you guys can get it resolved easily at the dealer.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mayb the gas cap wasnt screwed in tight....When i drove my evo off the lot the engine light came on....i got my friend at the dealer to check it out he said it was becasue the gas cap wasnt tight and told me to always turn until it clicks 3x
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
mayb the gas cap wasnt screwed in tight....When i drove my evo off the lot the engine light came on....i got my friend at the dealer to check it out he said it was becasue the gas cap wasnt tight and told me to always turn until it clicks 3x
hmm, did ur dealer friend reset the battery/ecu in order for the check engine light to turn off or did it turn off when u tightened the gas cap?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sinajoon5
hmm, did ur dealer friend reset the battery/ecu in order for the check engine light to turn off or did it turn off when u tightened the gas cap?
You will have to reset it. To do it yourself without an OBDII scanner, just pull off the battery contact for a while.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

LOL... wow what a way to take ownership..... Just friendly advice 6K is prob not smart on inital break in. Just my opinion.

As far as the CEL, take it back to MITSU and tell em to fix it ASAP!
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xenoturkey
You will have to reset it. To do it yourself without an OBDII scanner, just pull off the battery contact for a while.
positive or negative??? also for how long??? thanks
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

the motor is fine, more then likely a faulty sensor. the engines are ran at the factory for break-in. i believe the only reason you might want to take it easy on a new car is so the gear faces wear in properly.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i beat my car hard from day one as an experiment, its running great and has 38k now.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
oh man i cant thank you enough sir... so when we went outside to check and see if the gas cap was tightened it was really loose... then we tightened just like you said and disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnected it again... we started the car and drove around for about an hour and it never came back on... thank god... thanks again guys
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys guess what.... the light came back on... so now we went to autozone and grabbed the scan tool... the code came up "P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient"... we dont know what that is so were goin to take it to the dealer tomorrow... do any of you know what this is and if its still safe enough to drive the car around???
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

prob something with emmisions, cuz the erg recircultes exhaust gas back to the intake

Quick Reply: buddies bran new evo ix with "service engine light" with only 27 miles????