Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is my BOV in backwards; is it a big deal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talon, just go drive it and find out. You'll figure it out much more quickly that way than waiting on us to answer.

Ohio Evo, there's tons and tons of pics on here of properly-installed recirculating BOVs. You also can look at this pic and see that it's backwards - it should be the opposite of that with the head of the bov pointing sideways, not up.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alot of people with vw 1.8t's run the forge dv backwards because it holds boost better. i did the same with my gti and had no problems. i bet you'll be fine.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evil mechanic
alot of people with vw 1.8t's run the forge dv backwards because it holds boost better. i did the same with my gti and had no problems. i bet you'll be fine.
Last time I checked Evos and GTIs where totally different cars, with different turbos, engines, and systems. Please search - you will see that DV backwards and Evos do not mix.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:56 PM

kinda wierd so many are backwards though, ne one have a clue y theyd be like that from the factory...poor quality control???...
Old Jul 9, 2006, 01:28 PM

Jus checked, mine was backwards to, according to Smikeevo and Warrtalon (not bad mouthing you guys, jus stating i used ur directions to check). That still seems really really odd though that a bunch are backwards.

edit: upon closer inspection....im retarded, its on correctly. i got turned around some how.

Last edited by Adam J; Jul 9, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil mechanic
Completely different style valve. The OEM mitsu valve does not work nearly as well when run backwards and that "HKS SSQ" sound that people are talking about is called compressor surge which is rough as HELL on the turbo.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Update for those who may search for this thread later...

I flipped the b1tch yesterday; only took about 45 mins total. I did not have to readjust the boost at all and the fluttering sound is definitly gone. Probably better for the car in the long run. Here is what it lookes like/ should look like.
Attached Thumbnails Is my BOV in backwards; is it a big deal?-dsc05437b.jpg  
Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Completely different style valve. The OEM mitsu valve does not work nearly as well when run backwards and that "HKS SSQ" sound that people are talking about is called compressor surge which is rough as HELL on the turbo.
That flutter sound it made didn't sound like compressor surge to me; it only happened when I let off the throttle at WOT. I get that surge on my DSM if it's not driven 'properly' and they sound different... much more agressive sounding in the DSM; and that's only when I'm accelerating too lazely. Two different sounds in two different situations.

Last edited by Talon; Jul 9, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, flipping the BOV should take 5 mins for those of you reading this who haven't done it before.

Btw, one of the 3 guys who came to my house to do boost leak checks before getting Dynoflashed had their Forge RS DV on backwards without knowing it. It's more common than you'd think, because the car still runs fine - just not optimally.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

5 mins? I had to take the intake box completely off, as well as some of the uic piping just to get to it. You can't get to the bolt clamps on the valve without doing so because of the radiator hose... at least I couldn't, I tried.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

i too use to own a 1.8t and the diverter valve was " backwards " in the stock position. i have learned from expierence that when installed backwards on the evo, it doesnt perform as well as it will the right way, but it will still work. so no biggie, just flip it and be on ur way.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon
Update for those who may search for this thread later...

I flipped the b1tch yesterday; only took about 45 mins total. I did not have to readjust the boost at all and the fluttering sound is definitly gone. Probably better for the car in the long run. Here is what it lookes like/ should look like.
haha looks to me its not even hooked up. i sure hoop u reattached the hose going into the ic pipe.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. My BOV was on backwards when I bought mine too, except I am the fourth or fifth owner! (Dunno what it is about Evos getting passed around like that, but I'm the first to DD it.) I do know that it was always taken to non-performance, general-maint. shops to have any work done, and I know that the BOV was reinstalled. I ranted and bashed the shops for their ignorance when I saw the backwards recirc. valve, but now I see that in all probability they just didn't know any better and were putting it back on the way it came! Which is why I do all my own work around here...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I too was one of "those guys" with a bassackwards BOV. When I put in my MR BOV I put it in EXACTLY like the stock one. However the stock one was put in wrong about 6 months earlier by the Mitsu dealership when they had to do some warranty work for me on the wastegate (I believe that's what it's called). Anyhow, what got me scratching my head was when I saw this picture. Cajun Power's T-Bolt Clamp Picture . I did some searching and realized I copied a backwards install job.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon
That flutter sound it made didn't sound like compressor surge to me; it only happened when I let off the throttle at WOT. I get that surge on my DSM if it's not driven 'properly' and they sound different... much more agressive sounding in the DSM; and that's only when I'm accelerating too lazely. Two different sounds in two different situations.
With the OEM mitsu valve in backwards on your evo, the fluttering you are hearing is surge. The metal MR setup will also cause a small amount of surge at lighter loads even installed correctly (as does the stocker plastic valve if you work the throttle just right).

Edit, the "compressor surge" I am talking about here is the pressure wave bouncing back and forth between the compressor wheel and the closed throttle plate...not the compressor losing "traction" on the incoming air at partial throttle and surging A'la the 20G-8.

Last edited by A418t81; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Is my BOV in backwards; is it a big deal?