Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ic pipe keeps blowing off!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2003, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ic pipe keeps blowing off!!

well, when we were measuring the upper ic pipe to make a new one, we obviously had the stock one off. we also put on an intake. when we put the stock upper ic pipe back on it ran fine for about 3 days, now it keeps blowing off. it has 2 times today. it just did about 20 mins ago, but after it did this time, i put it back on, and ever since then the service engine soon light is on. what is the light on for? should i take it in? the car died after it blew off every time of course, but started right back up. even when i tried to turn the car off to clear the code, the light is still on! is there any way i ****ed anything else up in the engine?
Old Apr 23, 2003, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

All I can say is tighten that hose as tight as you can and head back ot the dealer to clear it. Or someone else with a datalogger that can check your codes for you.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Don't think you can hurt the car by blowing off the hose. The check engine light may go off by its self after a certain amount of cycles . What kind of clamps are you using? If stock go to a NAPA and get some of there T-clamps they are strong and cheap, Take one of your old clamps with you for a reference because the T-clamps have a limited range of adjustment. Also make sure there is enough "give" in your new set-up for when the motor rocks in its mounts, that often causes your problem. Good luck
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some ideas for you - #1 - buy a turbonetics T- band hose clamp - that will stop the hose from poping off - #2 - simply disconnect your nattery to loose the cel
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

If you cranked it down hard when you put it back on, you could have damaged the assembly on the wormdrive. I agree with t-bolts but they are somewhat expensive for good stainless ones. Otherwise, go to a place with 100% stainless clamps and watch how far you tighten it. If the excess "strap" starts moving over at an angle, you must stop there.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by eternal9
someone else with a datalogger that can check your codes for you.
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Some ideas for you - #1 - buy a turbonetics T- band hose clamp - that will stop the hose from poping off - #2 - simply disconnect your nattery to loose the cel
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Take it back to the dealer if you still have to stock pipe on. You do have a warranty on it.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

AYou may also want to check into extreme motor sports...they are a dsm vendor for the eclipse. They sale nice aftermarket IP silicone couplers in an array of colors (sounds like a comercial huh? ) for a decent price. Just an FYI. I believe also as mentioned before take off the battery lead maybe resetting the ECU will clear the light.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

The stock IC hoses shouldn't blow off unless you're running really REALLY high boost. Your clamps are probably hit. Go buy some new worm clamps. I'd say go and get the T Bolt clamps, but you WILL crush the stock aluminum IC pipes with them.... so it might be wise to stay away from those.

Good luck.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Seen this happen before on stock piping... reason ended up being that one end of pipe was to far into boot while the other was not fully into boot. Does your stock pipe have the step up groove on it? Can't believe mitsu would make stock pipe w/o it. If it is there your clamps must be done for as there is like no way you should be blowing past that step if the clamp is tight. Just a few insights... hope it helps!
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:55 PM

If you don't want to take it into the dealer to reset the code, just unplug the battery and reset the ecu. The only reason the light came on is because its a repeated incident. This is the same that happened to a friend of mine. As long as you have everything hooked up correctly, just reset the ecu and you will be fine. If the light comes back on after that, then there is something else wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I would get it as tight as possible and have the ecu reset then start it up to see if the light comes on.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Oi! Don't spend your money to buy Turbonetics T-bolt clamps. They charge $8 for those suckers!

You can buy T-bolt clamps at any NAPA auto parts store for around $2.50 a pop. NAPA also sells "radiator hose" in black that is reinforced. It is a better intercooler pipe coupler than any silicone coupler.