Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil catch can cause engine oil leak???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil catch can cause engine oil leak???

i know this sounds retarded and mundane, however part of the reason this forum exists is to fight the service departments through past experiences, non-bias techs, and rumor control. my crank seal by the pully is leaking. my car sat in a garage for a year while i was in Iraq. my though of why it is now leaking. lack of running and staying lubed, so it dry-rotted a little. the dealer is saying it might be because my oil catch can. talking about how i hinders the pressure in the motor and its venting ability, thus causing it to leak. i call BS!! that can replaces a simple, straight, black, rubber vent hose. there is no valve in the hose like an EGR or PCV valve. the intake does not rely on the air comming out of the vent line like it does with recirc of the BOV. has anyone had an y issues with oil catch cans oil early engine oil leaks and had dealer issues cuz oil catch cans? i haven't tracked my car at all, but i don't granny it either. it only has 11,500 miles. '04 Evo VIII GSR
Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I would suggest going to another dealer. The reason that they gave you is BS and your only recorse is to go to a different dealer with a master tech that knows what the hell they are talking about.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Dealer "BS" again

You are 100% right, it is essentially the same connection.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Dealerships are just getting more ignorant everyday. And they wonder why they have problems selling cars.. The famous "Email to Corporate Office" always work.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

they decided to cover the leaky seal.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately this is true. An improperly installed oil-catch can will cause excessive crankcase pressure and can cause seals to rupture. This doesn't happen on every car, but it happens frequently. We fix a LOT of cars with improper oil catch can installs. The symptoms are not always immediately apparent.

Let me give you an example, the Garrett Ball-Bearing series turbochargers are super sensitive to high oil pressure - their seals are designed to leak to reduce excessive pressure. Car comes in with smoking GT30R. Engine leaks down ok. Naturally we think blown turbo. Swap the turbo, same thing. Cause? Improperly installed catch can. Takes awhile to swap the turbo. DOH.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

How do you screw up a catch can install? As long as it's properly vented to the intake I can't see a way to screw it up (unless the catch can design is bad)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nrcooled
How do you screw up a catch can install? As long as it's properly vented to the intake I can't see a way to screw it up (unless the catch can design is bad)
Hehe that is a question you would have to ask whoever is installing them incorrectly.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
We need a "How to" thread.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to explain it, but it would take too long, and I'm tired. Basically though, the PCV is a one way valve. The other crankcase vent should just be a vent that the intake draws air. eliminate PCV, raise pressure. blah blah blah. Yeah, turbo cars like to pressurize the crank case. What could happen if the crankcase is pressurized? seals blow, oil foams, bearings spin, you guys get the idea