Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: How long did your stock clutch last?
less than 30k
47.32%
more than 30k but less than 60k
38.39%
more than 60k
14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch mileage thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to remind everybody this is not just for me. This is for the good of the evo community as well so post up as much info as possible. I'm not asking for a report but something better than a couple of lines would really help.

Also one more thing. It really ticks me off when someone wastes space of a thread like numnuts or haha. . . sorry nigletsyz and does the pointing and laughing deal trying to make others look funny or idiotic. . . ::AHEM:: There's no point so don't do that. Your grown men, well most of you.
Again this is for the good of the community here and yea it does help me also. I don't want this thread to look like a joke. Thanks guys for your support I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:24 AM

04 EVO 8 with 15,600
Stock clutch just started slipping this week
I am the 2nd owner, bought it at 13,000 (2) months ago
Car is completely stock
I only use this car to commute to work and back
5% bullsh*t street racing, never been launched and never been to the track
My conclusion: The asspacker who had this car before me really didn't take care of it.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

03 evo with 40 070 mi
stock clutch..not slipping yet
2nd owner..
mods..MBC..TBE..intake..fuel pump..dynoflash
Car is used as DD..
Occasionally i practice a couple launches in the parking lot for fun and practice for my first time at the track ..coming soon
The owner before me really took care of it and i just hope it doesnt start to slip
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:52 PM

my clutch has started to slip and my turbo spools about 500rpms later than it used to.. it just happend after i accidently dumped it at about 2-3k trying to go up a steep driveway.. i got about 15,500miles on it... never launched at all, never took it to the track, just daily driven.. nothing harsh..
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:28 AM
Account Disabled

31k miles and going strong on the stocker. 75% of miles are on the freeway and 25% around town. I've done maybe 6-10 hard launches. My mods are 3" TBE and EcuTek flash and dyno tune. Great thread BTW. I hope this helps you.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:51 PM

06 Evo with 14,800 clutch slips
Completely stock.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

06 IX with 16K.. Shown first signs of slip after 15K hard miles, many launches and whatever power nets 111-112+ traps .

Time to go easy on her til the Exedy comes in .
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:59 PM

LOL!!!!! funny thread.... my stock clutch went at 3k miles..... yeah, ouch i know..... so i got an exedy single plate 4 puck cerametallic..... went out after 12k miles (so 15k total on the car)..... so i got the act single plate 6 puck cerametallic.... i'm currently at 21k miles and JUST found out about adjusting the clutch (i even had the dealer****, who i let install the clutches for warranty purposes and the fact no other shop in boise will touch an evo tranny, look at it and they didn't know about adjusting the clutch, so now i'm going to go back to the dealership and ask for the labor on the install of the clutch back, cause that's just wrong for them to charge me to install a clutch wrong).... now after adjusting the clutch it runs like a dream and this clutch should last longer than 20k miles (i hope).....
the stock clutch i don't really have a defense.... it's my first awd car..... but i don't launch (much, especially not anymore).... i've never taken it to a drag strip..... etc..
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

i have almost 26,000 miles and have a question about how you can tell your clutch is going? Just recently when it started getting colder in 3rd and 4th around 4,000 rpms if you gas it rpms will stay same then rise and car will go. There is hesitation. But the next day after it started it was realy warm and it didn't do it. It has been doing it lately except today(warm again). I thought maybe it might hesitate due to spark plugs but havn't had chance to check em yet. Another quick question since my car is stock what clutch would be a good upgrade. I was thinking since I won't be modding and its my daily driver maybe the exedy oem, exedy sport, or stage 1 exedy. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
i have almost 26,000 miles and have a question about how you can tell your clutch is going? Just recently when it started getting colder in 3rd and 4th around 4,000 rpms if you gas it rpms will stay same then rise and car will go. There is hesitation. But the next day after it started it was realy warm and it didn't do it. It has been doing it lately except today(warm again). I thought maybe it might hesitate due to spark plugs but havn't had chance to check em yet. Another quick question since my car is stock what clutch would be a good upgrade. I was thinking since I won't be modding and its my daily driver maybe the exedy oem, exedy sport, or stage 1 exedy. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
If you get on the gas and the rpms FIRST rise, then hold for a sec.. then rise again. That is your clutch going . That is a slipping clutch.

Mine began doing that also, first signs was on a cold morning.. where the car had MORE power . Now it will do it in the daytime.. so I'll be keeping out of boost for the next few weeks (hopefully it lasts that long)
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't vote in the poll because my stock clutch isn't dead yet at 35k. I doubt it'll go past 60k, but we'll see. There are no signs of slippage yet, and the car makes good power. Of course, I don't launch the car which is helping a lot in clutch longevity.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Just turned 60k this week
03 evo 8
intake, exhaust, bov, ic pipes, ic, boost controller, cams, 10.5 hotside, and some others
340whp
Its a DD been to the track once with it and only have launched the car about 6 times.
It does see alot of "spirited" driving a little more than I would like but I just cant help it sometimes
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

05 evo 8 mr

stock clutch went at 55000k not sure how it was driven previous to my ownership
Exhaust, intake, evo ix turbo.
I have never launched it, just drive it aggressively from time to time.

Exedy Hyper Single, and Fidanza Flywheel - 3000 Miles into it
Really noise engagement, and transmission noise. Not happy with it, will likely go back to OEM flywheel after this clutch is toast.

From what I've read here, I will be budgeting for a clutch a year!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock clutch lasted 15k miles approx. After modding the car, started slipping in 1k miles.
Driving style: 100% daily driven with weekend spirited driving and a few launches - as soon as I started launching it, clutch went soon.
Modifications: Intake, TBE, MBC, o2, Cosworth M2's, Walbro, 4WS Tune

Aftermarket Clutch: Helix sprung 6puck + lighter flywheel (ACT style clutch) - awful, high rpm lockout, notchy/grabby, impossible to drive uphill slowly without car jumping all over the road.
Driving style: Daily driven, spirited weekends, about 25 launches
Lasted: about 5k miles, was all burnt up including the flywheel(that was new). Bad clutch, not an installation error I'd say.

Current clutch: Exedy hyper twin ceremetallic new - 31k miles, still had life in it (about 200 launches on it) but rebuilt it when I had the tranny off the car. Now has about 15k miles and about 100 launches so far, feels like new.
Driving style: Daily driver, weekend warrior.
Modifications: Same as above (~365WHP DLL).