Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: How long did your stock clutch last?
less than 30k
47.32%
more than 30k but less than 60k
38.39%
more than 60k
14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch mileage thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch mileage thread

okay this will be a very informative thread for people to put some data together based on information from different clutch owners, driving stlyes etc . . .
What I want to do is this. I want everyone to post up how long their stock clutch lasted and what type of driving you did based on percentage(example: 90%street and 10% track). Next, I want what aftermarket clutch you went with if any and post up your exact mileage numbers on that clutch also giving driving style. If you are still on your current setup then just post the mileage you have so far and how the clutch is holding up.
I also want you to note other info based on your assumptions or facts of premature clutch failures or anything else such as modifications before and after. Thanks.

I will start.

Stock clutch lasted 31,800 miles approx.
Driving style: 100% street with occasional spirited driving and 10 launches approx.
Modifications: stock

Aftermarket clutch: Exedy hyper carbon single lasted 5,150 miles approx.
Driving style: same as above.
Modifications: stock
notes: premature failure probably due to installation error.

Current clutch: Exedy hyper twin ceremetallic currently 10,000 miles and clutch still feels new.
Driving style: same as above 100% street with occasional spirited driving.
Modifications: cat back exhaust, HKS dp, Works air filter, denso plugs, works ecu reflash, toyo ra-1 rubber.

I hope this will help you guys becuase it will certainly help me put together some data I need dealing with statistics and my court case on the clutch that lasted 5,150 miles. I'm hoping to put enough evidence together to show the judge on how long these clutches on our cars usually last on avg. Thanks for helping me out.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:59 PM

Ok. O3 Evo bought in Jan of O4.
Mileage - 62k Stock Clutch
Mods: Helix DP, Exhaust (Stock Cat) Blox 264 cams, Cam Gears (Set -2-2), HKS Filter in the stock airbox. Xflash Custom Tune (268whp, 270 ft Torque Mustang Dyno)

Mind you I had been running on just an Xflash, Exhaust and downpipe and filter for mostly 30k. The first year was mostly freeway driving in which I racked up mainly 30k before I started modding. In 05 I took her to Thunderhill HPDE twice. I just finished the adding the cams and the custom tune at 61k.
90% Freeway, 7% Aggressive Street and 3% Track (Twice a year or so if I can)

The car has not been drag launched (Meaning no launches over 3000rpm) I have burned the clutch on hill starts a few times causing it to chatter. Right now it is holding the power just fine. The engagement area was never great. Its too small. Its either rev to 2k and slip the clutch to smooth start. Or bog or aggressive starts cause slipping.

The two things I believe I attribute to having a long lasting clutch is:
1. Never drag launching.
2. Double Clutching from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 and rev matching every single down shift so the clutch engagment is smooth in all down shifts. Saves the Synchros too. Its good practice when I go to the track and I can do it smoothly so you never notice the downshift. (Other than that loud downshift from the exhaust)

And thats my experience. Although I believe I need to change the clutch before I get to my target mark of 300whp on a Mustang Dyno.

Last edited by yf19ex; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Still on stock clutch at 40,000 no signs of slipping yet. All street driving with about 90% highway and 10% city.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

good start but with more info next time pa silver.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

47k with the stock clutch
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by yf19ex
Ok. O3 Evo bought in Jan of O4.
Mileage - 62k Stock Clutch
Mods: Helix DP, Exhaust (Stock Cat) Blox 264 cams, Cam Gears (Set -2-2), HKS Filter in the stock airbox. Xflash Custom Tune (268whp, 270 ft Torque Mustang Dyno)

Mind you I had been running on just an Xflash, Exhaust and downpipe and filter for mostly 30k. The first year was mostly freeway driving in which I racked up mainly 30k before I started modding. In 05 I took her to Thunderhill HPDE twice. I just finished the adding the cams and the custom tune at 61k.
90% Freeway, 7% Aggressive Street and 3% Track (Twice a year or so if I can)

The car has not been drag launched (Meaning no launches over 3000rpm) I have burned the clutch on hill starts a few times causing it to chatter. Right now it is holding the power just fine. The engagement area was never great. Its too small. Its either rev to 2k and slip the clutch to smooth start. Or bog or aggressive starts cause slipping.

The two things I believe I attribute to having a long lasting clutch is:
1. Never drag launching.
2. Double Clutching from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 and rev matching every single down shift so the clutch engagment is smooth in all down shifts. Saves the Synchros too. Its good practice when I go to the track and I can do it smoothly so you never notice the downshift. (Other than that loud downshift from the exhaust)

And thats my experience. Although I believe I need to change the clutch before I get to my target mark of 300whp on a Mustang Dyno.
I dont think your evo has never been max out sorry. A clutch is not about rev matching and "double clutching." Slamming gears is the correct answer.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:54 AM

Currently have 80K on 03. Clutch was changed at 72K when it started slipping a little in higher gears. Since I got 72K with original I went with stock clutch again.
Mods are 264's, MBC, Helix intake, Helix downpipe and test pipe, Helix hard pipe kit, Borla exhaust, tein basic coilovers, custom tuned by Dynoflash. Not to many launches although car is driven aggressively once rolling.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

the drag strip is the only thing we have close to my neighborhood so I guess you could see why mine lasted so long (sarcastic). launching kills our cars even when done right but not as much.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I would like to get more attention to the poll if you guys would be so kind. This info is golden.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

less than 5k on Exedy Twin Carbon and it fails on the dyno
Old Jul 15, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

bigyellowevo I'd like to hear some more info on the cause of that if you have some facts or assumptions if you don't mind. Also how long did you stocker last?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by z97219
I dont think your evo has never been max out sorry. A clutch is not about rev matching and "double clutching." Slamming gears is the correct answer.

No my car has not been abused as some other peoples cars in terms of hp or overall agressive driving

But your wrong when it comes to rev matching and double clutch as not something that matters. It does. The smooth engagment from engine to transmission with the flywheel and clutch in sync makes less wear and tear vs just letting the clutch grab at what ever RPM the motor is at. That is what burns and wears clutches.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

10 launches at the track destroyed my stocker. added to that the many launches at the illegals
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:07 PM

2005 Evolution VIII
16,210 miles on stock clutch
3inch downpipe and BOV

I drive very "spirited" usually pushing the car a few times daily on average. I do about 80% daily driving and 16%agrressive driving and 4% track racing. Racing including 1/4 mile track once in a while and racing at autox events. I have had about 4 unsuccessful launchs where I know I glazed the clutch. I where flip flops sometimes which tends to make me drag the clutch a little. When I drive agressive I usually go from a 2nd and up no hard gear shifting except when at track. No signs yet of clutch slipping. I hope that helps

PS. My first time at the 1/4 mile track another Evo 8 w/less than 1000 miles burnt his clutch up on 5th launch with inexperienced driver. clutch wouldnt catch needed to be towed.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Stock cluth- 21xxx miles
Driving Style- Spirited with maybe 20 launches

Current- ACT HDSS
Mileage- 22xxx
Driving Style- same as above but definitely more launches
Clutch is still holding up fairly well.

Quick Reply: Clutch mileage thread