Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud 'thunk' under hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juiced, if your looking for a car that doesn't make loud noises, you better start walking. All cars, no matter what the make, model, drivetrain, or power make funny noises at some point. Like was said before, when shifting gears in a car, the power is let off and then re-applied. In a 2WD car with lots of power, that reapplication of power is made easier because of the fact that the car can just spin the tires. You lose a little tread, but thats fine because drivetrain abuse is minimized. With AWD and all the traction that it brings, there is no where for the power to just slip out. The gears, clutch, driveshaft, and diffs take a lof of pounding. There is only so much you can do to keep that quiet. But like someone said, the Evo is built to take its fair share of abuse. Sure, if you shift like that all the time, its going to eventually break something, that a given. But, its because you did it to the car, not because the car is weak. You cant just expect to drive a car, any car, full bore all the time and have everything last perfectly.

A friend of mine has an E46 M3 with the SMG. When you shift gears with the trans in the fastest sequential mode, its not smooth at all and it makes a loud bang. Is that sound bad for the car?? Yes and no. Its built to do that, so it can take it. The SMG is all about fast shifts, but only when you want them. In the fastest mode, its not trying to be quiet or smooth, just fast. But just like any other car, do it too much, and things wear out faster than normal. Thats why there are other modes to choose from. Its not like that all the time, only when you want to really get on it. Same happens when you shift fast in any other car with a manual trans. It can be loud, but only when you do it. My Talon makes all sorts of crazy noises when I'm driving fast. Not all the time, just when I drive it hard.

Cars are all about compromises. Big engines are great, but they use a lot of gas. VTEC, and similar systems, are great, but they don't help much with tourqe. Turbos are great and make up for a smaller engine, but they use gas too. Noise in a car is no different. Now, sure, they could make cars sound dead silent from inside. But the compromise with that is that there would be so much added weight in sound deadening materials that it just wouldn't be worth it. My brother has a new 745 BMW. Sure, its super quiet, but it also weighs 4500 lbs. There is only so far you can go before you lose the point of the car. People who really know what an Evo is capable of, or any performance car for that matter, know that some noise isn't bad. Noises let you know whats going on. Why do you think the Honda Type Rs, the M3 CSL, the Lotus Elise, and the RS Evos, just to name a few, lack sound deadening??? Its added weight, and the people that buy those cars for their true intended purpose know that all sounds aren't bad. So, like I said, if you don't want hear a car when you drive it, buy a Camry or Accord, or walk. Performance cars will make noise, simple fact. Whether its engine, drivetrain, or tires, they will be louder than your average car. If thats an issue for you, then maybe thats a sign that the car just isn't for you. Now, I'm not trying to dump on you or belittle you, so dont get mad. I'm just telling you the truth. You'll have a hard time finding a good performance car that drives nice and quiet.

Hilg
Old Apr 29, 2003, 05:43 PM

well u went thew alot there to explain to me, i understand. But one part sticks out to me alot "All cars, no matter what the make, model, drivetrain, or power make funny noises at SOME POINT. " true but right out of the factory with less than 50mi on it im sorry it scares me to hear that
Old Apr 29, 2003, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

I can understand how that might seem odd, but it doesn't matter how many miles are on a car. The car can have 50 or 50k, if you work a car hard, it will make some noises.

Thanks for understanding that I wasn't trying to bash you with my reply. I just wanted to help you understand the whole thing better. It can be an eye opener when you hear things like that for the first time, for sure. The first time I witnessed the awe-inspiring SMG in my friends M3 I was shocked. I knew it would be a fast, loud shift, but just how much so was amazing. Like I said, its obviously not meant to be driven like that full-time, but it is amazing that it can stay together at all with the force it generates.
Old May 2, 2003, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loud clunck

I am inclined to agreewith the rear mount statement.
But to make a point, if your car is still new (low miles) then there is effectively no wear in the gears in the tranny or the rear differential. I do not know of hand what drive type is in the rear, discs, cone, or other but you can bet they have not seated fully yet and can stick at times and also produce noise.
These cars are noisey all around, haven't you noticed the noises that come from the engine?
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I get the thud also. Only when I shift fast... I have read that it is the diff smacking the under part of the car. The WRX community puts stiffer mounts in it to keep it from doing that. The fact is performance is loud. When u want to go fast that is all that is important not how quiet the car is... When I test drove an evo it did the same thing and i bought a different one and it does the same thing. I noticed also the more mods I got on it the more it does it. LOL

P.S. Going fast isn't an eligant thing. Race cars are extremely violent machines. But violents is good in a car
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:19 PM

Vin Disel, "Granny shifting not double clutching like you should!" FnF