Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud 'thunk' under hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud 'thunk' under hard shifting

I test drove an Evo the other night and shifted hard a few times. About 85% of the shifts produced a loud "thunk" from the rear of the car. At first I thought it might have been something loose in the trunk but after it happened again, I asked the salesman about it. He said that it was a normal sound that the rear diff makes. Is he right or was there something wrong with the tranny? The car had 587 miles on it. Btw, I was impressed by how hard the car pulled with 4 passengers (~730 lbs)! Coming from an S2000, that torque is really noticeable.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

it is normal cause it is awd so the power kinda has no where to go so it puts strain on the tranny so dont do it
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:26 AM

Imma confused...Don't do what? Drive "hard" w/4 passengers? Thanks!

evos2k, I KNOW WHO U ARE!
Old Apr 25, 2003, 03:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Same thing happens in WRX's, especially during the 1-2 shift.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

It's a normal thing for any AWD car... It's a mixture between the drive-shaft and the rear diff.... When you shift hard and don't let off the clutch at the same time with the gas, it makes that noise.. You gotta time it perfect during really hard shifting in order not to get that... Takes practice, it'll go away when you get better...
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

You need practice with your hard shifting technique. That sound is from the rear diff being shocked. I've heard it a few times in my car.

SC~
Old Apr 26, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by o00o
it is normal cause it is awd so the power kinda has no where to go so it puts strain on the tranny so dont do it
Oh ok. So I guess I'm just supposed to granny shift, huh? Hmm, that'll get me around a track faster, don't you think?
Old Apr 26, 2003, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

um did someone say "granny shift"
Old Apr 26, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evos2k

Oh ok. So I guess I'm just supposed to granny shift, huh? Hmm, that'll get me around a track faster, don't you think?
You sound sarcastic, but if by "granny shift" you mean smooth, then yes. Smooth shifting is part of being a good driver and it will help keep your car running well longer as well as keep your lap times down. It's easy to shift hard and fast - it takes skill to do it right.
-N
Old Apr 26, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

mine does the same thing, and i have a thread about it in the drivetrane section. i was told by the main evo rep from orlando it was a rear pillow bushing that holds the rear lsd diff. to the chassis. when it makes the thud, it is just hitting the final end and stops creating the thud. he said its done it on every evo. i asked if i should just drive it not as hard he said... and a quote " this car is made to drive hard, we know every one who buys the evo is buying it to give it hell. so drive it as hard as you want, it wont break." i may have missed a few words or two, but thats about the jist of it.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

My experience has been that the EVO doesn't like to be SHIFTED hard. The stock gear selector has fairly short throws and the clutch travel is short as well, so smooth shifting is fast. smooth mythodical shifts can be performed quickly with practice.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

DO NOT SHIFT HARD....

shift smooth and fast

If you shift it with the expectation that the wheels will break loose in a wild AWD burn out, you can kill that fantasy right now. you have WAY too much grip with the AWD to think about doing that.

You have to remember in your old school 2WD car hard shifting results in the tires breaking loose. Not gonna happen now. All the torque that used to break the tires free are now getting taken up in the drive line.

Let the clutch do it's job and slip it a bit while accelerating hard. Remember, it's easier to replace the clutch than the gears in your transmission.

may the boost be with you.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 09:38 PM

thank you some one else heard it too, all these guys say its cuz of the AWD but i have had 2 AWD cars and i beat the hell out of both, they did not do that i think i would of noticed a thud like that. It is more like a loud bang in the Evo,i seethat some one said dont shift hard well let me tell ya a little something for 35G's im gonna shift hard as a motherfu**er and that bang would make me sick and make me wanna thow the keys back at the sales person and politly say KEEP IT! and no guys im not jealous of the Evo
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Juiced.....Your post makes you sound like a fool.

Going fast isn't about shifting hard....it's about shifting fast and smoothly. That has nothing to do with granny shifting at all.

Doing stupid things in a car, regardless of price, will cause failures. Those failures caused by a persons stupidity or lack of skill are no reason to give back a car....or reason to not buy a car.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 05:22 PM

i am sorry master. its no reason not to buy the car!,come on if i bought a vett i would get on it once and a while and if my tranny banged i would not buy it sorry and i think the Evo is the vett of the import world right now.

Quick Reply: Loud 'thunk' under hard shifting