Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler Piping / BOV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Piping / BOV

What's the best company to order I/C piping for my stock fmic ? Also, will the Forge bov bolt up to any aftermarket I/C piping or will i need some sort of adapter? thnx for the help

alex
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Search around - I like and have the AMS LICP. All UICP are looks not so of the much go (many req. mini batt. -- which does shave weight). The UICP should state what kind of adapters they have or BOV/DVs that can be used. Just go recir, and all will be good.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Buscur Racing uicp,they have one with a flange mount and one you can use with the stock location DV (bov). They also make a great licp too.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you must search. PLEASE. this subject pops up like every week and the worst part about it is i've already done an intercooler thread, just not stickied...

damn you ask questions and you have no clue what you're even dealing with. which forge bov??? if it's the one that mimicks the stock mounting (hose type) then it doesn't bolt up to anything, it is clamped by a hose.

several companies make hose type bov intercooler piping. the one that comes to mind first is nisei engineering. http://www.nisei-evo.com/forum/

sit for a bit, read the nisei forum, look at the pictures and see what you're dealing with. then search every question that pops into your head. then read more, then search every question that pops in your head again. keep repeating until you are asking something that no one has discussed before.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Speedfreak0920 (Alex),

In my opinion and as a customer that actually uses a variety of LICP and UICP with stock IC I recommend Buschur and AMS.

Buschur Racing did an excellent job offering an UICP that shaves 19" of piping lenght and also deletes 6 bents, more over it also eliminates two rubber coupling devices and it also increases the diameter of the piping.

Additionally Buschur Racing offers a very competitive aftermarket BOV (1st gen DSM).
I am not sure about how much boost you are planning on running but the 1st gen DSM BOV included on the deluxe UICP package it can hold up to 28psi if you crush it.

AMS offers also great intercooler piping products. I reported a gain of 1.5-2mph trap speed increase when I replaced both intercooler pipes simultanously. Needless to say it also helped my spool up.

I am waiting for my LICP from Buschur, I hope it arrives soon so that I can post the results. Stay tune.

One last tip, definately stay away from intercooler pipes that has multiple pieces.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 18, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

the 1G wont hold 28psi,24-26 crushed tops. i use one on my IX and had one on my 03 8. great bov,stock like driveability with no fluttering.BTW i just recieved my licp from buschur,should be putting it on tomorrow night. will post results.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Danny23
the 1G wont hold 28psi,24-26 crushed tops. i use one on my IX and had one on my 03 8. great bov,stock like driveability with no fluttering.BTW i just recieved my licp from buschur,should be putting it on tomorrow night. will post results.
It will hold 28psi... in fact, it'll hold 30psi. I've accomplished it before.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

1g will hold over 1000psi with the dejon tools leak stop kit ;]

i personally recommend the nisei pipes cuz they'the largest size, best fit, most secure, most complete and highest quality finish.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Danny23
Danny,

Maybe it never reached such high boost levels on your car but it certainly does on my car. I gave ride to tons of people on this forum and I showed them multiple times how my car would hold boost very well in the midrange on 4th,5th and 6th gear.

In fact, my number one issue is that I always have to turn down the boost. My turbo boost too fast and too high under normal situations.

I also put my car on the dyno multiple times with Al tuning it and without Al and I reached past 30psi during dyno pulls.

Al Friedman is actually the person that crushed my BOV, he grabbed the wrecnh that he uses to remove the o2 sensor and he placed a whrapped plastic bag in top of the BOV and slammed.. Also, Al Friedman is actually the one that recorded the consistent boost levels on his boost reading devices.

Additionally I have an expensive boost gauge with an electronic DEFI controller that records my boost runs and plays them.

I am not going to argue with you over this issue because each car is different, you might have a faulty BOV. I affirm, confirm and swear that my car holds 28PSI plus no problem during midrange loads in 4th, 5th and 6th gear until the boost starts to vanish rapidly pass 7000rpm.

Remember, each car is built differently, each car has different component and different tuning. I am not braggin over a BOV, I am sharing all the valuable data I always meticulously collect on all my cars and friends car.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 19, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

actually the fact is that the 1g bovs varied/vary greatly over their production life. there have been stock uncrushed valves that hold up to 18psi and some that will hold nary over 13. so... don't get all hissy guys. the fact is that you're limited in crushing by the upper nipple. why not just not crush and get a leak stop kit?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

I know the 1 gen DSM BOV decently well:

I had 3 1st gen DSM turbos cars, and had a 91 Stealth R/T which uses a similar BOV and I now run the one on my Evo 8 and again the stock BOV on my 94 Stealth.

This is no new topic to me. These BOV are tough as S H I T. I know there are much better BOV out there but Hey I am boosting very consistent with the 1st gen one so that is why I am strongly recommending it.

I have two other BOV in my garage that couldn't perform the job. I have a turbo XS RFL-H and the stock and neither could keep up with my mods thus they were ineficient.

Carlos.

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 19, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for everything posting and helping me out. I'm getting the Forge RS full recir. bov. I'm going to go with the AMS LICP and leave the stock UICP. I had a crushed 1g bov on my galant vr4 and it worked great for me also. I'm just going go pick up the forge because i know i'm going to want to have it in the future so might as well get it now. thnx again for everyone's help. appreciate it

alex
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Danny,

Maybe it never reached such high boost levels on your car but it certainly does on my car. I gave ride to tons of people on this forum and I showed them multiple times how my car would hold boost very well in the midrange on 4th,5th and 6th gear.

In fact, my number one issue is that I always have to turn down the boost. My turbo boost too fast and too high under normal situations.

I also put my car on the dyno multiple times with Al tuning it and without Al and I reached past 30psi during dyno pulls.

Al Friedman is actually the person that crushed my BOV, he grabbed the wrecnh that he uses to remove the o2 sensor and he placed a whrapped plastic bag in top of the BOV and slammed.. Also, Al Friedman is actually the one that recorded the consistent boost levels on his boost reading devices.

Additionally I have an expensive boost gauge with an electronic DEFI controller that records my boost runs and plays them.

I am not going to argue with you over this issue because each car is different, you might have a faulty BOV. I affirm, confirm and swear that my car holds 28PSI plus no problem during midrange loads in 4th, 5th and 6th gear until the boost starts to vanish rapidly pass 7000rpm.

Remember, each car is built differently, each car has different component and different tuning. I am not braggin over a BOV, I am sharing all the valuable data I always meticulously collect on all my cars and friends car.

Carlos
no need to argue, i believe you,BTW i used a 1G in my 03 8 and i,m using one on my BR350 IX, I wouldnt use any other BOV

Last edited by Danny23; Jul 20, 2006 at 04:48 PM.