Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

White Smoke form radiator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Smoke form radiator

Hey There

Does anybody know why Im getting this white smoke coming out from my radiator ? not my turbo or exhuast just my radiator. I just installed a new mani & o2 housing. This my first time turning on my car in weeks . One more thing I left the car running by accident without the top radiator hose on for about 1 to 2 mintues also Im running with only water in my radiator with a little bit of coolant . Could this be the problem ? I whould really apresheate anybodys input on this.

sorry for the grammar Im my garage with the car and these fumes are killing me

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

the hose loose would've probably spewed water/coolant on the rad. It got hot and then boiled and evaporated (white smoke) the water. You should be fine, just keep running it and it should disapear.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 'smoke' you are seeing could actually be steam. A better explanation would help us with your cause. Was the car hot when you saw the 'smoke'? Cold? What is your coolant/water ratio in your radiator?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may have punchured something while doing the install since it's a very tight fit. I had to remove mine to do a clean install. Water has a low boiling point so it would cause your car to overheat but not burn coolant.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Guys

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
The 'smoke' you are seeing could actually be steam. A better explanation would help us with your cause. Was the car hot when you saw the 'smoke'? Cold? What is your coolant/water ratio in your radiator?

I think I added about 18 Oz. of Coolant/ and filled the rest with water. The car was cold so I let idle the for a min two and thats when the smoke started showing . The white smoke has gone down abit, but when I take off my radiator cap I see a bit of smoke riseing from inside of the radiator. Did I ruin my radiator ?

Thanks Again

Last edited by nine; Jul 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nine
Thanks Guys

I think I added about 18 Oz. of Coolant/ and filled the rest with water. The white smoke has gone down abit, but when I take off my radiator cap I see a bit of smoke riseing from inside of the radiator. Did I ruin my radiator ?

Thanks Again
Check under your car after it has sat for awhile. If you see coolant on the ground, then you very well could have punctured it as mentioned earlier during your 02 install and new mani. If not, then you are more than likely witnessing the amazing laws of physics in action....The smoke I would have to say is STEAM.......not smoke. You want to make sure you have an acceptable amount of coolant in your radiator. It helps prevents corrosion and raises the boiling temperature. Hope this helps out for ya....

BTW, how much time had passed since you turned off your car and witnessed STEAM coming out of your radiator?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks A Bunch Shadow

Yeah I think Its been over 10 mintues. The steam is only mild now. If the problem continues Im going sell the car and partout my aftermarket stuff .
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

actaully water is better for cooling.
If everything is opperating right you should not see any smoke as the temp will be well below boiling point.

You might have Blown gasket?? Did you notice any coolant/water loss recently?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikiblueeyes
actaully water is better for cooling.
While it may have better cooling properties than a water/coolant mix, with a boiling point of only 212 degrees F you're not too far into the safe zone. Coolant does a fine job at cooling an engine and has many more safeguards than straight H2O.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Water is much better to cool the engine, coolant is needed for lubrication only, prevents rust and wont let it freze in cold climates.

Radiator pressure keep boiling point well above.

There is a lot of litrature on this. Thats why tipically if you run higher pressure rad cap, the boiling point goes up. Nothing to do with coolant.

Piece

Originally Posted by Stew
While it may have better cooling properties than a water/coolant mix, with a boiling point of only 212 degrees F you're not too far into the safe zone. Coolant does a fine job at cooling an engine and has many more safeguards than straight H2O.