Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ti-Al Turbo for the EVO final version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ti-Al Turbo for the EVO final version

So, after help from you guys, i contacted Mistu Japan, and they are not claiming responsibility for the blowing up Mg Turbo of the JDM evo 9.
They will launch the final version of the EVO (http://evo4g63.net/) with a Titanium Aluminium turbo. Does anyone know if there is already aftermarket Turbos using this technology? or is it common that most of the turbo have aluminium housing and titanium shafts/blades?
What do you think? will it blow up again? Should i just get a race/street proven aftermarket Turbo?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by babibengkak
So, after help from you guys, i contacted Mistu Japan, and they are not claiming responsibility for the blowing up Mg Turbo of the JDM evo 9.
They will launch the final version of the EVO (http://evo4g63.net/) with a Titanium Aluminium turbo. Does anyone know if there is already aftermarket Turbos using this technology? or is it common that most of the turbo have aluminium housing and titanium shafts/blades?
What do you think? will it blow up again? Should i just get a race/street proven aftermarket Turbo?
Perhaps it will be better if you ask those garages in ID or SG that specialize in JDM Evos what your options are. If I'm you, I won't go back to the Mag turbo for sure...even the supposedly revised one
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
".....[QUOTE]
with a Titanium Aluminium turbo. Does anyone know if there is already aftermarket Turbos using this technology? or is it common that most of the turbo have aluminium housing and titanium shafts/blades?
What do you think? will it blow up again? Should i just get a race/street proven aftermarket Turbo"]
The TiAl technology cartridges came among others, on the factory Evo VII TME turbos and the JDM RS Evos. In the U.S. aftermarket there are a few hybrid versions available from various assemblers/vendors: The TME-9 is configured with a IX compressor housing mated to a TME center housing/rotating assembly and 10.5 turbine housing. The White Rabbit is based on the Evo 8 16g compressor housing/10.5 turbine housing and a TiAl turbine with a larger 20G 5-bladed compressor wheel. I think you can get the WR with a IX compressor housing=WR-9. And then there is the Buschur Racing 20G-9-5, which would also be like a White Rabbit IX turbo except w/o the Tial turbine wheel.

The British, on the other hand, charge a pretty penny for their more esoteric, "rally-ready", lightweight hybrids. There is, for instance, Essex Turbo, producing ball bearing TME offerings, and the Dentist, with ball bearing IX's with 4" inducers. These fellows will also convert/upgrade your existing JDM IX turbo to ball bearing rotation.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 19, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Turbochargers.com has the Evo 9 20g TME 10.5 hotside available. I will be installing this on Thursday evening and tuning on Saturday if all goes well.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lancealott
Turbochargers.com has the Evo 9 20g TME 10.5 hotside available. I will be installing this on Thursday evening and tuning on Saturday if all goes well.

Uuuuh way cool! Please update us with your firsthand impressions ASAP.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might want to do a search on that... and as Forrest Gump said "...and that's all I got to say about that..."
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

OOoooo! Wonder if that's the same as The titanium alumnide alloy recently banned by FIA for use in Grand prix racing. I read in Race engine tech it often of almost 45% aluminum, and is stronger, and tougher than either metal, and in most case its steel counterparts, It also said it was lighter than either and could be made harder on the surface than most high grade steels.... But was banned do to cost. hhmmmmmm! Oh yeah they use it forengine valves.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
no... that would not be it...