Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tilton Twin Disc, Who Has One, Who Installed it, How long, Who Who who...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the twin ceramametallic, driven now for approx 1000 miles. Love the clutch for launchability and all shifting, except for slow starts in first gear which take concentration. Noise is a factor for deceleration. Personally, I am used to the noise factor, but occasionally will stall or have a rough start in first gear if not paying attention. The harder you drive the car the greater the payoff for using this clutch.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PTevo
I have the twin ceramametallic, driven now for approx 1000 miles. Love the clutch for launchability and all shifting, except for slow starts in first gear which take concentration. Noise is a factor for deceleration. Personally, I am used to the noise factor, but occasionally will stall or have a rough start in first gear if not paying attention. The harder you drive the car the greater the payoff for using this clutch.

I hear yah man. Did you take the helper spring out of the clutch pedal? If not do this and it will make it 100x easiar.

The helper spring is a pivot spring, once it hits a certain point it trys to pop the clutch pedal out. This sucks because it is right in the engagement point of the tilton.

I took mine out and now its a dream, not stock but definitly way better.

I am pushing over the 3k mark on my tilton now with no problems.

When you are aligning the tranny + discs you must absolutely make sure everything is centered. The transmission should fit snug against the motor by itself. Do not use the bolts to pull it tight, this throws things out of wack.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

more....? and how many miles...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboSpoolinIns
more....? and how many miles...
bump for more Tilton users. There's gotta be at least 30 more on this site.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 06:43 PM

I hear yah man. Did you take the helper spring out of the clutch pedal? If not do this and it will make it 100x easiar.

The helper spring is a pivot spring, once it hits a certain point it trys to pop the clutch pedal out. This sucks because it is right in the engagement point of the tilton.

I took mine out and now its a dream, not stock but definitly way better
I am pushing over the 3k mark on my tilton now with no problems.
Hey, I appreciate the info. Getting my motor fully built right now and I will try your suggestions.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:53 AM

i got one!! twin ceremetallic. now i'm getting issues with my 1st gear not engaging from nuetral and whining when i'm decelerating. with the engine off i can switch gears fine. i'm worried that i have injured my tranny( or synchros) i have to turn the car on with the gear already selected. then i can drive away fine and shift correctly. when i come to a stop the engine feels such that the clutch did not disengage completly ( almost wants to stall), and i cant get back into 1st gear, but i do hear the beautiful tilton makin it's notorious chatter. i have bled the clutch and i'm hoping i dont have to pull my trans to fix this issue. in regards to the alignment. if tilton engineered the clutch packages for street cars then they compensated for the posibility that the misalignment might happen.
i drive the **** outa my car. that's why i bought the damn thing. not to let her sit in the garage looking pretty. i bought her so she can go out and kick ***!.

anywho. any input on what might be the issue. joeymia has already informed me that the clutch might require further bleeding. i'm dreading pulling the trans agian to check the splines on the clutches.

ps. i still have my helper spring and it drives fine. i love it when buddies talk **** about the noise and cant get the car to move.

only thing i altered was the use of the banjo bolt that is inserted in the master clutch cylinder. i used back the oem banjo bolt. i used the stock clutch adjustment to put my release 3/8th's away from the firewall. clutch worked fine till a few weeks of 4wd launches on porsches!!!

Last edited by fuel monkey; Jul 28, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fuel monkey
i got one!! twin ceremetallic. now i'm getting issues with my 1st gear not engaging from nuetral and whining when i'm decelerating. with the engine off i can switch gears fine. i'm worried that i have injured my tranny( or synchros) i have to turn the car on with the gear already selected. then i can drive away fine and shift correctly. when i come to a stop the engine feels such that the clutch did not disengage completly ( almost wants to stall), and i cant get back into 1st gear, but i do hear the beautiful tilton makin it's notorious chatter. i have bled the clutch and i'm hoping i dont have to pull my trans to fix this issue. in regards to the alignment. if tilton engineered the clutch packages for street cars then they compensated for the posibility that the misalignment might happen.
i drive the **** outa my car. that's why i bought the damn thing. not to let her sit in the garage looking pretty. i bought her so she can go out and kick ***!.

anywho. any input on what might be the issue. joeymia has already informed me that the clutch might require further bleeding. i'm dreading pulling the trans agian to check the splines on the clutches.

ps. i still have my helper spring and it drives fine. i love it when buddies talk **** about the noise and cant get the car to move.

only thing i altered was the use of the banjo bolt that is inserted in the master clutch cylinder. i used back the oem banjo bolt. i used the stock clutch adjustment to put my release 3/8th's away from the firewall. clutch worked fine till a few weeks of 4wd launches on porsches!!!
The easiest thing for you to do first is adjust your clutch pedal. If that doesn't help, then the next easiest is re-bleeding the clutch line. Even though adjusting the pedal is the easiest, I would probably start with re-bleeding, as adjusting the pedal may cause you to overstroke the clutch. If neither of those helps, then you may have to resort to removing the trans.

-Paul
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:19 AM

I suggest checking the adjustment on your pedal stop. If the stop is not set right, you may be over-stroking the clutch. If the clutch is being over-stroked, it will go past the release point and start to reengage.

Originally Posted by fuel monkey