Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschurs modified walboro pump?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrown
I run an unmodified Walbro 342 with average mods and I see 70psi all the time on my gauge with the stock FPR intact, so I don't know how you're gonna get your "optimal spray pattern" at 43 to 45 psi on any pump other than maybe the stock one. Good luck making a lot of power on that one. I don't even have an upgraded turbo, so I would imagine someone running a GT35 or larger turbo on C16 at 35psi would be VERY likely to hit 100psi.
The FPR pressure in theory rises with boost on a 1:1 ratio (until confined by the limitations of the system). Your fuel PRESSURE may rise, but your fuel VOLUME is still limited by the pump output, and by the size of the lines and fuel rail. Fuel pumps of the kind we use provide much less volume as the pressure demand rises, and so you can see increased fuel pressure on your gauge, but may have exceeded the VOLUME that the pump can supply, and then you run lean anyway. For example, the fuel curve for a "normal" Walbro 255 goes to -0- at 90PSI! You thus are looking for a pump that flows the volume of fuel that your motor needs AT THE BOOST LEVELS you are running as a maximum, and then making sure the rest of your system is large enough to flow that amount, so the pump does not have additional restrictions like a too small feed or return line, or fuel rail bore limitations.

With a larger turbo, this becomes extremely important to consider, as the AFPR only responds to increases in boost pressure by increasing fuel pressure. Base fuel pressure (in PSI) + boost pressure (in PSI) should = increased fuel pressure by the FPR or AFPR (in PSI), but VOLUME + PRESSURE are both critical.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Curt,

Did you have the full AMS fuel system as well, with the higher volume fuel and return line, the larger bore rail, and the AFPR?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Curt,

Did you have the full AMS fuel system as well, with the higher volume fuel and return line, the larger bore rail, and the AFPR?
Yes to all.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

The complete fuel system on Curt's car is a good example of what I was saying -- his twin pumps have the pressure to provide the higher volume, and the larger lines and rail allow that volume to reach the injectors without a bottleneck. Without both, you can have large lines but not enough pressure from the pump, or you can have lots of pressure from the (twin) pumps, but not enough bore size in the lines and rail to get the volume to the injectors. Either can cause a lean condition, but the latter can cause a lean condition when you think you're fine because your fuel pressure gauge is showing the 1:1 fuel pressure rise that you expect.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly CO VR4,

many people don't understand that you NEED a certain lph volume @ base fuel pressure+boost pressure.

To increase the flow of my 850 cc/min, I'm now running a base fuel pressure of 51 psi.
Given that I could run + 29 psi of boost, I have to consider my fuel pump flow at 51+29 = 80 psi.

And a "normal" Walbro 342 HP @ 80 psi is around 190 lph ?

Definitely not enough for BIG HP numbers...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
The FPR pressure in theory rises with boost on a 1:1 ratio (until confined by the limitations of the system). Your fuel PRESSURE may rise, but your fuel VOLUME is still limited by the pump output, and by the size of the lines and fuel rail. Fuel pumps of the kind we use provide much less volume as the pressure demand rises, and so you can see increased fuel pressure on your gauge, but may have exceeded the VOLUME that the pump can supply, and then you run lean anyway. For example, the fuel curve for a "normal" Walbro 255 goes to -0- at 90PSI! You thus are looking for a pump that flows the volume of fuel that your motor needs AT THE BOOST LEVELS you are running as a maximum, and then making sure the rest of your system is large enough to flow that amount, so the pump does not have additional restrictions like a too small feed or return line, or fuel rail bore limitations.

With a larger turbo, this becomes extremely important to consider, as the AFPR only responds to increases in boost pressure by increasing fuel pressure. Base fuel pressure (in PSI) + boost pressure (in PSI) should = increased fuel pressure by the FPR or AFPR (in PSI), but VOLUME + PRESSURE are both critical.
Though most of what you are saying is accurate, one point is not entirely correct. You can not seperate flow and pressure like that Pressure, like boost, is simply a result of flow and restriction. Restriction is adjusted by the regulator. If flow drops off, so does pressure. If pressure stays up, flow is suffucient. Any additional flow is simply returned to the tank as waste. Flow dropping to 0 at 90 psi is an extreme example, that is the pressure the bypass valve should be open at. The rest of what is said about making sure that flow is adequate for the volume of fuel being consumed at the target fuel rail pressure is correct, of course, and is something that is too often overlooked.

Originally Posted by mchuang
Plus it says it outflows more at 100psi, but no one runs 100psi of fuel pressure on a walbro. I would like to see what it does at 43 to 45 psi when injector spray pattern is optimal.
Regardless of what rail pressure is, pressure across the injector will still be base pressure, since the additional pressure added by the 1:1 regulator is offset by the boost in the manifold. That is after all the entire point of the 1:1 FPR 43 psi base plus 40 psi boost equals 73 psi rail pressure, but still 43 psi across the injector.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by InfamousDX
Any info on this??? Us Suby guys are maxing out the 255's anywhere from 500-600whp and we need help! I don't want dual walbros or an external or a denso/supra.
I swapped my regular walbro 255 that I had in my WRX, started to lean out @ 29psi with a GT35R. With the BR modified, I can go 34psi before going lean.
This is using a utec for EM. Thats just some non technical real world data.
This is also with stock FPR and lines using Perrin fuel rails and PE 850 injectors
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoostN
I swapped my regular walbro 255 that I had in my WRX, started to lean out @ 29psi with a GT35R. With the BR modified, I can go 34psi before going lean.
This is using a utec for EM. Thats just some non technical real world data.
This is also with stock FPR and lines using Perrin fuel rails and PE 850 injectors
Thanks for the info. that helps a lot actually. Did you get tuned by Clark Turner?

I'll be running a 35r, hydra, 1000cc, and aeromotive adj. FPR.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, he tuned it. We are going with the speed density as soon as he comes out next or during Sema.
Peace
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

according to walbro there pump can not be modified. the only thing i could find different is the output part of the pump is much bigger but the internals are the same...
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump only # GSS-342
http://mzmperformance.com/Merchant2/...de=walbrogssfp
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is turning into a great thread. I don't blame Buschur for not coming in and explaining exactly what makes his Walbro flow more. That information to all would take money out of his pocket. Although it isn't intellectual property per se, he deserves to make his profits by bringing a useful product to market. Soon enough, other folks will figure out what he is doing to the pumps and start doing it themselves.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the electrical motor in the standard 342 and the Buschur pump are the same, then the difference could be in the pressure relief spring. Either a stronger spring in the Buschur unit or a shimmed 342 spring allowing the pump to deliver more fuel above the 70#(?) relief pressure of the 342 pump. The drawback to a shimmed spring is an increase in operating temps for the pump motor which theoretically can reduce pump motor longevity.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 6, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

When i contacted Walbro and talked to there engineer they said that the pump could not be modified because of the way its made...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the Buick forums this issue has been tossed around with regard to a modified Walbro 340SS pump marketed by Red Armstrong at QuadAir Engineering. Red's XP+ pump is a modded 340SS unit, which I think has the same pump motor as the 342 pump we use in our Evos. The 340, 341, and 342 pumps have an improved, more efficient, higher volume motor than the older Walbro 307 pumps.

Anyhow, Red Armstrong gets his XP+ pump to deliver more fuel at a higher pressure by tinkering with the pressure relief spring. Apparently he just jams a piece of 12 Ga. wire into the spring. It works, as his modded 340 pump is good well into and above the 600 HP range on Buicks.

I assume, though I am probably mistaken in so doing, that contrary to what Walbro engineers admit publicly, if Red Armstrong can modify a Walbro 340SS pump to deliver more fuel at higher pressure, then someone can just as easily modify a Walbro 342.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 6, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

lol im sure it can be done
walbro tech went nuts on me for even thinking or saying any to the fact of messing with there pumps but thats to be expected

Quick Reply: Buschurs modified walboro pump?