Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschurs modified walboro pump?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what walboro said about the pumps....

Originally Posted by AZScoobie
I got the emails. There is a string of them. I will include the name of the rep so you guys can call her directly for any questions. I want to make sure you guys understand that I am doing this to support the community and not to direct any negative towards any vendor. Any vendor that acts this way should be exposed by any member. THats how we stick together.

The following email was from TI automotive. The owner of walbro to the walbro dealer that sent the pump in.

I received your pump this morning and engineering has taken a look at it.
The only modification your supplier made to the pump (other than grinding
off the logo and part number) is to punch down the pressure relief valve on
the outlet side of the pump. (The little hole on outlet end.)

Definitely NOT something we want to see done; we do not endorse or authorize
this. It's a disaster waiting to happen, especially if the pressure
regulator fails to operate.

Image 002 shows the pump you sent to me. Engineering said the pump likely
would have peaked at 160 PSI but the amps would have been around 25 plus so
they shut it down.

Safer option would be to use two pumps in the application.

I'll return your pump to you as soon as I can.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Diana Hutchinson
TI Automotive

Another email about testing this pump against the standard pump:

The pump cannot be taken apart without destroying it. We guarantee your
supplier does not do that.

I emailed you the flow/pressure/amp data on a GSS340 and your pump so you
could compare the two. As you can see, they flow the same until the higher
pressures. The problem with the pump you sent us with the safety factor of
the shut off valve being punched in.

Diana

Here is another email that I forgot to post...

The model is a GSS340 and models GSS340, GSS341 and GSS342 all perform the
same. They are all the high pressure 255 liter.

The inlet and outlet and how they hook up to the bracket is the only
difference in the 3.

Diana

I also have the two Charts... showing the comparison of the pumps. If someone wants drop me a line on email c_turner@ix.netcom.com and I will email them back so you can post them. I dont have a server to host the charts.

The charts are interesting. In short Walbro HIGHLY recomends you do not make the modification as it will end in "Disaster" .. Probalbly failure of the pump itself. If you wish to do the mod its simple.. You can poke the spring down with a ball point pen or punch. Takes 20 seconds to do. This can be performed on any walbro pump. Cliff notes also should include that these pumps where NEVER taken apart. She confirms this and mentions that the pumps would be destroyed.

I hope we can all put this to bed. I went to battle for the community. When I endorse something I want to make sure of what we have. I failed to realize what this pump really was and for that I am sorry to those who have paid the big bucks.

Clark
Scorke
Old May 20, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Below are the Walboro Tests of buschurs and there own pump...

Originally Posted by readymix
Here ya go, Clark. hosted...

Walbro Pump

Buschur Pump
Scorke
Old May 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

whats the veredict?
Old May 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

That is good info Scorke, too bad it is too late for me, I already have Buschur Twin Pump Modified!
Old May 20, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ not nec too late, dave did say in that thread that he will honor a refund for anybody who wants to return there modified walboro for a refund.

The twin pumps are a great setup, 2 "stock" 255 walboro's work well, from what testing and buschur shows it seems that the "modified" 255 walboro does flow a good bit more fuel at higher pressures/boost levels although according to walboro at the expense of the safety and reliability of the pump.

Buschur still stands by the product as he knows it works, just now does them in house knowing how simple the modification is.

Scorke
Old May 20, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the thread that says he will issue a full refund?..sorry if i missed it.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's at the end of the Subie board thread that was posted. Not posted here yet, AFAIK.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

customer service

Buschur racing's customer service is above and beyond any place I have ever experienced. ( Short of donating a kidney,,, which they might do, but I have never asked....)
Give them a phone call and i would bet my car they will do every thing they can until you are happy!
Old May 21, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The pumps were purchased from an outside source who claimed he bought them disassembled from Walbro, modified them and then sent them back to the factory for final reassembly. This is how and why we bought the pumps from the supplier.

I have them in my car which just ran 9.77 at 148, Al has them in his car that just went 157 mph. They are in probably well over a 1,000 other cars at this point in time all doing their job and working fine.

After this was brought up over on Nasioc I got pissed off as I trusted the guy that was modifying them and selling them to us. I took a pump apart and sent it in to Walbro myself for engineering to look at. Come to find out all that was done is the pressure relief valve is bypassed, which pissed me off.

Anyone who has bought one of these pumps from us has 30 days from today to return the pump to us for a 100% full refund. The offer is only for 30 days.

We have no decided what to do about the pumps from here on out. Walbro feels it is a safety issue but their external 255 pumps has no pressure relief on it and that's why it flows much more up top just like these pumps do. Not sure why doing it on an intake pump is a safety issue and on an external pump it isn't.....

I will not except these pumps back without calling us first and getting an RA# so you can return it.

Also, so we are clear, the pumps work 100% as advertised, no problems. The only problem is the cost of $250 for a pump that all that was done was the pressure relief valve is bypassed to make more pressure at high boost pressures.

I will continue to run them in my car and others, because they work.
Old May 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard for anyone to complain about that kind of refund offer.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Very happy with those pumps. 40psi+ and the car pulls great. I will keep mine!

Last edited by memo3; May 21, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The pumps were purchased from an outside source who claimed he bought them disassembled from Walbro, modified them and then sent them back to the factory for final reassembly. This is how and why we bought the pumps from the supplier.

I have them in my car which just ran 9.77 at 148, Al has them in his car that just went 157 mph. They are in probably well over a 1,000 other cars at this point in time all doing their job and working fine.

After this was brought up over on Nasioc I got pissed off as I trusted the guy that was modifying them and selling them to us. I took a pump apart and sent it in to Walbro myself for engineering to look at. Come to find out all that was done is the pressure relief valve is bypassed, which pissed me off.

Anyone who has bought one of these pumps from us has 30 days from today to return the pump to us for a 100% full refund. The offer is only for 30 days.

We have no decided what to do about the pumps from here on out. Walbro feels it is a safety issue but their external 255 pumps has no pressure relief on it and that's why it flows much more up top just like these pumps do. Not sure why doing it on an intake pump is a safety issue and on an external pump it isn't.....

I will not except these pumps back without calling us first and getting an RA# so you can return it.

Also, so we are clear, the pumps work 100% as advertised, no problems. The only problem is the cost of $250 for a pump that all that was done was the pressure relief valve is bypassed to make more pressure at high boost pressures.

I will continue to run them in my car and others, because they work.

So you're not going to lower the price? Why would you charge $250 for a pump that's not worth much more than $100. I understand you got ripped of but you should go after your supplier for a refund on whatever you paid for them instead of charging the same outrageous prize to your customers. I'm a huge Buschur fan and dream of getting my car built by you guys but keeping the current price doesn't seem right or fair IMHO.
Off Topic, Are the Toyo Tampino tires you guys are runnning prototypes because I can't find them on my google searches. Do you know where you can get them?
Old May 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I am not doing anything as of yet. They are on the site and the pumps I have left (only a few) I don't know if I will even sell. I paid XX amount for them and for the ones I have left will sell them at $250, if I even sell them. The few calls we have had we have directed the guys to the thread on Nasioc to have them read the drama before buying.

In the future I think I will leave it up to the customer to make the mod themself.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would keep mine if I had them... you proved them so what the fus about? I seen you go well into the 9's with my own eyes. So that makes it odvious to me the valve is BS.

Enginners are all jake a**'s, they make my life a nightmare at work
Old May 21, 2007, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
I would keep mine if I had them... you proved them so what the fus about? I seen you go well into the 9's with my own eyes. So that makes it odvious to me the valve is BS.

Enginners are all jake a**'s, they make my life a nightmare at work
respect design limits!

where do you work?

Quick Reply: Buschurs modified walboro pump?