Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II

Ok, so I have been meaning to do this for such a long time. Thanks to dbdude I got a move on it. Saikou_kun, who sells cans, did a big post on a 2 catch can system, which works on both sides of the head. This is the right way to do a catch can system. Two is better than one!

So here goes, my can involves two cans one attached to each side of the head.

The first side is the turbo intake side, the second is the intake manifold side.

All I can say if there are two hoses off the head there should be two cans; after all women have two ****.

So here goes, I am going to post pictures of my budjet can design and this is cheap but great.

Picture # 1 parts I got from my hardware store and walmart.

So here we go:

1) Campbell Hausfeld Mini General Purpose Filter #MP5138
2) Stainless Steel wool, Corse grade
3) Plug Raccord Conector I/M 1/4" MP2468
4) one clear flex tube 5/16
Attached Thumbnails Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II-_jaw4924.jpg  

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 25, 2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Second:

Take coarse steel wool and roll it into a long line, to stuff into the 5/16 hose. Use the paper clip to do this. This will create a baffle and oil condenser in the straw like hose/tube.
Attached Thumbnails Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II-_jaw4925a.jpg  

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

tt

Last edited by evo150; Jul 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Third:
You can see all the parts in the project laid out.

1st) on the top of the blue can there is two holes two attach a bracket into. This bracket can go to any hole near the intake manifold or battery side of the head.

2nd) We have a bowl and steel wool plug for the bowl.

3rd) You can see the tube stuffed with steel wool ready to be attached to the cap. It has the bowl next to it with a air baffel of steel wool stuffed in it.

4th) You can see the 1/4" Plug connector anda hose attached on it as well as a free side with out a hose attached to the connector side.

5th) The last part that will never get used is the original 5 micron filter we have replaced that with the 5/16 hose stuffed with the steel wool.
Attached Thumbnails Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II-_jaw4930a.jpg  
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Here goes this is one of the last pictures:

You can see the can fully assembled. It has an unasssebled can below. The most important part is that the can flows backwards.

the reason it flows backwards is because the air flowing out of the head has to flow into the tube baffel into the bottom of the can with the steel wool baffel.

1) Clean air flows up out of the can into the intake before the turbo

2) clean air flows up out of the can into the intake before the head intake side.

It is really important to remember going backwards, flows the gases and oil right into the baffel and can allowing it to acumulate and not pass into the areas we want to keep it from. the last picture is to come.
Attached Thumbnails Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II-_jaw4935a.jpg  
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Here is the last picture, before you see it attached into my car. In this picture you can see the blue silicone tube is attached to the out flow of the can. This out flow actually becomes the inflow and the inflow actually becomes the outflow. I do this so the oil flows down the straw, not up it.

Tomorrow I will attach pictures of this can fully assebled on both sides of the head. Thanks for reading, Josh

More to come later today...
Attached Thumbnails Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II-_jaw4941a.jpg  

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 25, 2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

sorry for screwing up your post, if you can delete it go ahead. ill check back tomarrow for the installed pics for the pcv side of the oil catch can
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

I would advise you use stainless wool in there. The vapors from the valve cover tend to have some moisture too which will make your steel wool turn to rust.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ Exactly what he said, stainless is the only way to go. ^^^

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 25, 2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Quick question, probably a silly one at that. Are there any inline filters to stop small fragments of steel wool from getting blown into the intake. The last steel wool I had would tend to produce small metal shards when subjected to a mechanical force (such as crushing it in your hand). Perhaps the stuff I have used (for other purposes obviously) is crappy.

Nice write up
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Not really sure why you used the hose with the steel wool inside the separator. I am running the same type of oil separator on my PCV system. I have the can in a line running from my valve cover (PCV) to the intake manifold. I just took out the filter and the little black thing holding it in, and everything works perfectly. If you put that tube in the can, you will be sucking up the oil into the intake that is supposed to collect in the can, pretty much defeating the purpose of the can at all. I drive a Mustang BTW, so while mine isn't exactly the same as yours, its the same idea.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigfishs
Quick question, probably a silly one at that. Are there any inline filters to stop small fragments of steel wool from getting blown into the intake. The last steel wool I had would tend to produce small metal shards when subjected to a mechanical force (such as crushing it in your hand). Perhaps the stuff I have used (for other purposes obviously) is crappy.

Nice write up
I am planning to do another write up using the 5 micron filter that came with the catch can. The hard ware store did not have the clear 5/8 hose I was looking for. Keep posted and you will see that too.

Thanks, J

Originally Posted by dcorn
Not really sure why you used the hose with the steel wool inside the separator. I am running the same type of oil separator on my PCV system. If you put that tube in the can, you will be sucking up the oil into the intake that is supposed to collect in the can, pretty much defeating the purpose of the can at all.
If you read the whole post, I said it a few times, I am running the can in reverse. That hose is pushing oil into the can. I am using the wool to help condense the oil vapors instead of sending them back into the system.

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 25, 2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Im using a breather is there a problem with that? should i use a oil catch can i have one from greddy.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Why not just keep the filter the way it is, with that 5 micron filter already on it???
Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evokw
Im using a breather is there a problem with that? should i use a oil catch can i have one from greddy.
Yes, breathers are bad. From what I have been told, the DEP will come get you. You need two cans, one on both sides of the head. Some people run one breather and one can.

Quick Reply: Check out my budget oil catchcan... part II