Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

white smoke

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white smoke

I had a crack in my header, so I replaced it with the stock ones. Then, I put on a new stock hotside. Anyway, once I replaced everything I started the car and a lot thick white smoke came out of the exhaust. I mean this was thick, 15 to 20 seconds and the area was filled with the smoke. I was told it could be a blown head gasket, cracked head, or a turbo malfunction. Anyone have any other ideas, or can confirm that its any of the problems I have listed?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

white smoke means you are burning coolant, probably a head gasket
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:36 PM

How sure are you cause I dont have too much money to spare, and I dont want to be buying extra stuff. Im not going to be replacing it myself so I have to pay for labor also. If anyone else has some input please let me know.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

it only did it for a few seconds? How does the car run? does it do it everytime you start it when its cold/ If not, was the manifold in contact with oil ar anything that would burn off. Seems strange to me that swapping aheader out would do anything, unless there was **** in the manifold and blew through the turbo
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let it run for a while. If it goes away it was probably just wd40 or something in the manifold/hotside. If it continues, and your exhaust SMELLS like coolant, your headgasket is toast.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure it was white? Oil smoke is a very light blue (almost white) and can be mistaken by the untrained eye (but not the nose). As stated earlier, it could be WD-40 or other light oil or the rust preventitive on the manifold from the factory.
The 'white smoke' from water in the exhaust is steam and will disapate quickly and smell sweet, burning oil will hang in the air and smell nasty.
Good luck