Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT Install.. please help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT Install.. please help

Heres the story from hell which is now my life for the past 2 days..

Last night my friend and I who have pulled many 1st gen, 2nd gen eclipses, honda, toyota trans decide to pull my trans to do a clutch install. take off the intercooler pipe, intake, batter, all the wiring, unhook shift linkage. Get to the transfer case, then realize had to disconnect the downpipe, and driveshaft to pull it. After unbolting the case and fighting with it for about an hour call the owner of TurboTrix who then tells us theres a rear output shaft in the trans that we need to take out with a slide hammer. half hour later we get that pulled, we try to pull the trans and get the trans to slide off about 3/4 of the way but was getting hung up. at around 2 in the morning we finally called it quits.

Next day..
went and picked up the ACT pressure plate, disc, bearing and alignment tool. start assembling it to figure out how to get the clutch fork to release the throw out bearing. ten minutes later we get the trans to come out. take the pressure plate and disc off along witht he flywheel. take the flywheel to get resurfaced. after geting back we start to reassemble everything. bolt up the flywheel and pressure plate and disc. put the transfer case back on. Get everything back on pretty much up to the point where all we had left was the upper intercooler pipe, intake, and mass airflow sensor. we bleed the dif and and fill the trany, so he tells me to push the clutch pedal in to see how it feels. 1st push.. no pressure and the pedal drops right to the floor. 2nd push we hear a click. after getting back under the car we see that the were the throwout bearing goes onto the pressure plate, the ring that seats it and locks it in to the prssure plate has failed and is dangling there.

We then called Keith from TurboTrix again and he tells us that this is common with the evo and that if the clutch isnt installed properly that this will happen everytime to let you know to do it again.. has anybody ever heard of this? Could it be a bad pressure plate from ACT? please help cuz im out of ideas on why this happened. Only idea we have right now is to take the ring from the stock pressure plate and try and make it work but were afraid it will just fail like the ACT.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

happened to me too. had EVERYTHING ready to go. i had actually tested out the clutch, and pushed in the pedal up and down about 20 times. well, the next day, before i fully finished the clutch install, i decided to push it for the 21st time. all i heared was a pop and the pedel fell to the floor. the snap ring (the one that holds onto the throwout bearing) behind the pressure plate snapped off.
sometimes when you put the tranny up, the input shaft can hit the ring and take it out of alignment.
put back the ring, and make sure its on there TIGHT.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep, you've got to drop the trans again and put the ring back in place.. short version is that you're f-ed and need to go back and re-read a couple of the evo clutch install threads again. It's definitely not like your standard DSM trans, particularly when it comes to the TOB. Waaaaaay different and that part is crucial.

That crappy little snap ring is one of the prime reasons I chose a Tilton clutch. Converts the car to a push style TOB so there's no fussing with wimpy little tin foil snap rings. Muuuuch better and it's a far superior clutch to the ACT's too.

Don't get me wrong, I like ACT and used one in my dsm for years. But ever since my eyes were opened to the true difference in clutches, I purchased a quartermaster for my dsm and a tilton for the evo and I'm never going to mess around with stock style clutches again. twin discs 4 life, w3rd.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

gotta take out the tranny again and put the ring and other thing that snapps onto the throw out bearing..... Watch out cause the spinal can hit it and knock it out... thats what happened to me... once in... Use the lever and snap it in place... you'll know when it does.... i did not use the clutch pedal.... use the lever on the tranny.... then transfer case and etc.....
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah this can happen....

we had a dispute with a clutch company that said it was our fault on a car we have (broke the clip out of the pressure plate fingers, not just the ring twice)...

we finally got an exedy twin disk, and havent had an issue, installed the exact same way.....

i think in this particular case it was a matter of the single disc setup being too much for the plate/assembly...

you shouldnt have a problem like that with ACT, their clutches work pretty awesome...

just be careful aligning the clutch assembly/trans not to damage the clip... u can see easily through the top and bottom inspection holes/fork opening....

cheers

cb
Old Jul 29, 2006, 09:17 AM

thanks for all the input, gonna try and pull the trans again today hopefully but i think my friend has given up on the project. anybody in the jersey area wanna come help lol?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

how did it go????