Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synthetic oil in the engine? Watch out!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Boost Solutions
Also, Vipers and Corvettes operate on vacuum,not boost. So there the rings are not subject to the same that the 4G63 takes. Hitting 18 psi on an brand new engine is not recommended. Vipers do not boost, so there is no pressure in teh cylinders.
HUH??? Dude, for a supposed performance expert, you display an ignorance of how an engine works. Engines do not work on "vacuum"...they work by expanding air creating pressure on the pistons...this is true whether the engine is NA, supercharged, or turbocharged.

You need to redline that sucker a few times in the first 50 miles...seats the rings better and gives you a stronger engine...ask any motorcycle guy.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NOVA EVO

You need to redline that sucker a few times in the first 50 miles...seats the rings better and gives you a stronger engine...ask any motorcycle guy.
Most motorcycle's have very small Pistons and thick cyl walls. I don't know of any Motorcycle motors (the ones with 11K plus red lines) lasting more then 60K miles with out losing a lot of compresstion.

I could be wrong.

If I'am wrong enlighten me. That's why I'm here to learn.

Eric

sorry for the poor spelling.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:17 PM

I think everyone needs to calm down and go drive whatever you have and use whatever you want in your ******* engine!
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Perhaps Mitsubishi uses synthetic from the factory because they know some people won't follow the break-in procedures and run the car hard (i.e. lots of heat and friction)? It could be used as a precautionary step to prevent future warranty claims, but this is just a wild guess. Anyhow, I think i'll play it safe until I see some more data.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

I could be wrong.

If I'am wrong enlighten me. That's why I'm here to learn.

Eric

sorry for the poor spelling.
I could be wrong, too...it's just what I've heard over the years from mechanics and engine tuners, especially bike guys...
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NOVA EVO

I could be wrong, too...it's just what I've heard over the years from mechanics and engine tuners, especially bike guys...
All I care is what engine builders have to say. with regards to this thread.

Eric
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

All I care is what engine builders have to say. with regards to this thread.

Eric
I'm sticking with Mobil 1...wanna keep that warranty...for awhile, anyway...
Old Jul 29, 2003, 04:02 PM

I would agree that breaking an engine in on "regular oil" is the best. But I suspect Mits specifies synthetic to protect their investment, mainly the turbo charger. It would be too easy to coke the bearing in the turbo using regular motor oil.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a feeling (like Kitra said) that Mitsu is thinking about coking on the turbo with regards to synthetic. That makes a lot of sense (from Mitsu's viewpoint). I myself plan on dropping the oil the minute I get my car and putting dyno oil in (for the break-in).
Old Jul 29, 2003, 05:49 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

I have no idea what the factory puts in the EVO.

However; the Alfa called for an oil change at 500 miles. The Celica (turbo) called for an oil change at 1000.

But the dealer told me not to change the EVO's oil until the regular service period.

On the other hand, the main reason to use synth oil in the engine is because the same oil is used in the turbo -- which would fry most dino oils.

In the absence of better data, I'll go with the instructions -- add nothing for 600 miles, add synth after that, change at 3000.

Odd break-in instructions, though. No hard braking for the first 300 miles? What about seating the pads?
Old Jul 29, 2003, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Here is what Mobil1's website says:

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 07:00 PM

I agree with revhappy. unless you get your car with 15-20 miles on it it has been test driven and you can only guess how. In that case best to start with the synthetic to reduce warrenty claims.

as far as bedding in brakes MMC probably is not confidant in the average consumer following proper bedding procedures.

Kent
Old Jul 29, 2003, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by ReHeat

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.
If I rebuilt an engine myself or have a machine shop do it, I will continue to use dino oil, preferably non-detergent. But I certainly wouldn't second-guess a manufacturer on the recommended oil. Modern manufacuring techniques are dxifferent than a hand built engine. Also, one never knows whether Mitsubishi may actually brake these engines in on the dyno, though it's not likely. On the other hand I am sure Aston Martin mentioned in the Mobil website does run engines on the dyno before installing them.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by alleggerita

On the other hand I am sure Aston Martin mentioned in the Mobil website does run engines on the dyno before installing them.
Same with the Corvette...I've been to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY...every new C5 that comes off the line goes right to a testing dyno...they run the car at WOT all the way to 150 MPH on the dyno, so it has already been run hard at least once even before it leaves the factory.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

well, this is what i believe and guess: mitsubishi already broke-in the engine a bit before handing the car to us and placed synthetic oil in there afterwards.

And if you really wanna keep your warranty, how will they know if you got a regular oil change?? Get a regular oil change at walmart for $12 and throw the receipt away. At 3000 miles, get mobil 1 oil change. One more thing. Forget the dealers about the oil change. Pitpass is too expensive and useless. I get my Mobil 1 oil changes at walmart for around $30 and I just buy my own genuine oil filter from Mitsubishi for around $5. For at most $38, I get the same oil, same "speedy" service, but lots of compliments.

EDIT: i did change my oil at 1000. 4000 miles coming and soon to be changed!!

Last edited by TRDHarrier; Jul 29, 2003 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil in the engine? Watch out!!!