Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synthetic oil in the engine? Watch out!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic oil in the engine? Watch out!!!

Hi guys/girls:

from browsing the forum I just found out that Mitsubishi has put Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the car from the factory.
IS that true?

If it is, please, everybody, do a quick oil change to a regular oil.

Brand new engines need regular mineral oil to be broken in properly. The synthetic oil cannot seal the rings completely, so it is FORBIDDEN from being used in a brand new engine.
Teh regular oil is great for a brand new engine, it will help the rings to seat properly, and then you guys can go to the real SYNTHETIC and turn the boost up.

We ( and many others ) as a race shop/parst supplier do not use or recommend the synthetic oil in the new engine. the usual break in of the engine and clutch is 500-1000 easy aand stop-and-go miles.
After that, make sure you use the best FULLY synthetic oil in your engines.

George
www.boost-solutions.com
678-380-9102
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:21 PM

Hmmmm you know i never even thought about that. That is weird that it would come with that from the factory! I wonder what has to say about this?
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hello,
Your findings seem to be true that the motor should only use synthetic, but the fact of the matter is that I really don't think that MMC would oversee such a simple known point. There engineers that oversee such things, and I really don't think they would have forgotten to do tell the manufacturers not to put synthetic.

I really think you jump to the conclusions. It was probably a way of telling Evolution owners that when you do in fact change the oil.... then you should use fully synthetic oil.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know what they put in it from the factory but I talked to a dealer about it and they told me that if you put regular oil in, even just for the break in, that your warrenty is pissed right out the window.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Sooo... we should all just take our engine warranties, wad em up, and toss em out the window? states to use only synthetic oil in the motors. Period. Pretty sure they have a wee bit of a clue when it comes to building/prepping, and shipping us the cars preloaded with Mobile 1. If you are a business, I would watch my **** advising people to do things that could lead to them coming back and suing you for, such as telling them to void their warranties based on your great experience.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:29 PM

I thought that this myth had been laid to rest long ago. Not only does the Evo come with synthetic oil, from new, but so do all Corvettes and Vipers. Corvette has been using synthetic from new since - I think - 1992 - the advent of the (second generation) LT-1. No ill effects. For those of you that still have doubts, e-mail Mobile and see what they have to say.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

We appreciate your sentiments....

But do you think you know more than Mitsubishi, the people who designed and built these engines? Sorry, but I'll believe what the manufacturer recommends over a random 3rd party anyday.

And who is to say that Mitsubishi didn't break in the engines before installing them into cars....or that they didn't add some additive to the Mobil 1 to aid in the break-in....or that they didn;t use a synth blend?

Lots of modern cars come with fully synth oil from the factory these days.....does that make all their engines prone to failure too? no...

Also, the Warranty agreement requires us to use Mobil 1 synth. Failure to use it could lead to warranty coverage refusals.

SC~
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

boost solutions,

Didn't you just post in the tech forum telling someone to make sure he uses mobile 1 synthetic??

I'd rather take my chances with the synthetic oil and get it fixed through warranty when it breaks rather than sticking in regular oil then having the warranty voided so i have to pay for all repairs from then on.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by YellwTyper
Hello,
Your findings seem to be true that the motor should only use synthetic, but the fact of the matter is that I really don't think that MMC would oversee such a simple known point. There engineers that oversee such things, and I really don't think they would have forgotten to do tell the manufacturers not to put synthetic.

I really think you jump to the conclusions. It was probably a way of telling Evolution owners that when you do in fact change the oil.... then you should use fully synthetic oil.
I am not trying to jump to conclusions.
If the engines have not been broken in by MMC, then they are taking chances.

All race teams use regular oil for break in. Ask any good machine shop. Also, people are noit really supposed to hit boost until 500-1000 miles.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/trdbreakin.html

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
Old Apr 28, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boost Solutions
[B]
. Also, people are noit really supposed to hit boost until 500-1000 miles. [\QUOTE]

And most of us who have any self restraint kept from boosting for the first few hundred miles. We are being as careful as Mitsu recommends during break-in.

SC~
Old Apr 28, 2003, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

If the engines are broken in by MMC, that is great.

I am just restating what big machine shops are saying.

I have seen people rebuild a 4G63, and start it on synthetic oil. The oil consumption of the engine after that is out of the normal.

I will talk to MMC and find out what the deal is: if they already have been broken in, and why do they recommnd synthetiic the first 500 miles.

Also, Vipers and Corvettes operate on vacuum,not boost. So there the rings are not subject to the same that the 4G63 takes. Hitting 18 psi on an brand new engine is not recommended. Vipers do not boost, so there is no pressure in teh cylinders.

I will talk to MMC and let you know guys.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Boost Solutions

I am not trying to jump to conclusions.
If the engines have not been broken in by MMC, then they are taking chances.

All race teams use regular oil for break in. Ask any good machine shop. Also, people are noit really supposed to hit boost until 500-1000 miles.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/trdbreakin.html

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
In this case, it looks like a jump to a conclusion..... Whether the engines of the EVO have already been broken in or not. Or if they are filled with some sort of "break-in" oil, the facts are that the owners manual clearly states that fully synthetic, Mobil 1 10w30 is the only approved lubricant for the EVO engine. The use of any other oils or blends of oils is strictly prohibited under warning of engine damage and warranty forfeiture......
I've changed the oil once already at 1800 miles but I'm sticking with Mobil 1 10w30
Old Apr 28, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Secret Chimp
[B]
Originally posted by Boost Solutions

. Also, people are noit really supposed to hit boost until 500-1000 miles. [\QUOTE]

And most of us who have any self restraint kept from boosting for the first few hundred miles. We are being as careful as Mitsu recommends during break-in.

SC~
I have been threr too. It was hard to stay out of any boost. I had to disconnect the WG actuator, anf leave the WG open so the boost does not go over
Old Apr 28, 2003, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

In this case, it looks like a jump to a conclusion..... Whether the engines of the EVO have already been broken in or not. Or if they are filled with some sort of "break-in" oil, the facts are that the owners manual clearly states that fully synthetic, Mobil 1 10w30 is the only approved lubricant for the EVO engine. The use of any other oils or blends of oils is strictly prohibited under warning of engine damage and warranty forfeiture......
I've changed the oil once already at 1800 miles but I'm sticking with Mobil 1 10w30
that is cool you are done with the break in then.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I would be curious to hear what info you get from Mitsu regarding the oil that is in the car from the factory? Is is full synth, a blend, full synth with some additives that aid in the break-in process?

FWIW, I used less than 1/8th of a quart of oil in the Evo after 200 track miles.

SC~

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil in the engine? Watch out!!!