Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems with Injen intake for evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with Injen intake for evo IX

I just put a new injen short ram in my car with the upper icp and I start the car (I did reset the ecu first) it reved to about 3500 then dropped and on the test drive I am only hitting 12-13 pounds of boost.... other mods are the aps bov.... I have searched for this problem with this intake and I couldnt find anything so I am pulling my hair out with this! Anyone have any ideas?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the intake - it's your boost system. You messed something up during the installation and are now running base wastegate pressure. Did you disconnect any of the lines in the boost system during the installation?

Injen Intake and APS bov on a IX...*sigh*...I see you've definitely not followed my advice from EvoTuners.net.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

APS is recirc.... the only thing I messed with is re-mounting the boost solenoid..... but like I said it is hitting maybe 12-13 psi so I have no clue..... When I had everything stock on I was hitting about 19.8 in 3rd so this sucks......
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

What do you mean you remounted the BCS? It shouldn't be moved. This is probably where the problem lies. YOu think you're hitting 12-13psi based on your gauge, but it's really just running base wastegate pressure, which is 11psi - just a technicality. This means your boost system is NOT working - the ECU is not controlling boost, and you're just running wastegate pressure.

I need to see pics and to hear every detail of what you did with the BCS in order to help. This should be an easy solution/fix.

I know the APS is recirculating, but the stocker is one of the best BOVs on the market - it holds 25psi while providing perfect drivability at NO COST. The APS is 200+ for no gain whatsoever.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Due to the routing of the air intake it came with a flange to remount the BCS out of the way..... it did come up a little short but I was able to run the 4mm vacum line to the intake without crimping it as far as I know.... I am going to get a longer hose so there shouldn't be any kinks anywhere. Is there any possible way the ECU is cutting boost at all?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

There really should of been no reason to pull the boost lines to install this. The injen kit includes a new bracket for the stock solenoid which shouldnt of had an effect unless something came loose.

Just make sure the wastegate lines are intact. Also, I'd try swapping the stock BOV back in as the APS may have an adjustment which you ignored.

The line that goes to the intake is just a vent for hte solenoid so it shouldnt give you a problem if its connected or capped

Last edited by fury656; Aug 1, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yep I did go back to the stocker and had the same problem.... the aps is adjusted just fine. But yes the injen did come with a bracket but it was pulling the vacum line just a tid bit to tight.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnEB
Due to the routing of the air intake it came with a flange to remount the BCS out of the way..... it did come up a little short but I was able to run the 4mm vacum line to the intake without crimping it as far as I know.... I am going to get a longer hose so there shouldn't be any kinks anywhere. Is there any possible way the ECU is cutting boost at all?
The hose from the BCS to the intake really has no effect. The hoses that matter are the ones going from the other BCS nipple to the wastegate and turbo nipples. These cannot be changed or altered.

The ECU isn't cutting boost to base wastegate pressure. The ECU is not even CONTROLLING boost right now, because something got messed up during the install. I've said this a few times...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

OK yeah you said that once and I was just trying to eliminate any ideas but at the same time I read about it so nevermind that.... I was thinking I have a leak but it doesnt taper off it just holds at 12
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

It's very common - it's happened hundreds and hundreds of times to people for different reasons, but the symptom is the same: base wastegate pressure = 11psi = boost system not functioning.

Do you have any CELs? Is the BCS electric plug connected? Are you sure you didn't change or move any of the other vaccuum hoses, particularly the one on the other nipple? Did you cross up the hoses when re-installing?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

I have an Injen Intake on an Evo IX, I also had my BCS relocated, mine works fine. I'm spiking 24 psi and holding 22. I have 321 whp.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

I think there's something more to it. Perhaps a leak, or improper install.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

That doesn't help. We're trying to troubleshoot the installation mistake - we know the Injen intake works fine.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

I know the APS is recirculating, but the stocker is one of the best BOVs on the market - it holds 25psi while providing perfect drivability at NO COST. The APS is 200+ for no gain whatsoever.
I used both the JDM DV and also the APS unit. I had many issues (bucking/fluttering/STALLING) with the JDM DV. The APS has the screw uptop to adjust any issues. Just thought i would back up a product that has been so good to me.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by titaniumkingpin
I used both the JDM DV and also the APS unit. I had many issues (bucking/fluttering/STALLING) with the JDM DV. The APS has the screw uptop to adjust any issues. Just thought i would back up a product that has been so good to me.
I also had flutter problems with my Stock IX DV in high load situations, i.e. 5th gear. My H34 corrected the problem.

Quick Reply: Problems with Injen intake for evo IX