Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Water sprayer

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool, I haven't gotten dumb in my old age.. basically said the same thing I did..
Old May 1, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is it I have ran my fastest time without the switch. Also I still can not see how you can steer shift and hold down a button at the same time. I can't ever use the manual switch, too much going on
Old May 1, 2003, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually its chemisty... and yes i know the canister in the rear is for washer fluid read ur owners manual and you will understand what i ment by wiperfluid for the ic sprayer
Old May 1, 2003, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think he directed that to me.. It never clicked for me that the front washer fluid resevoir wasnt under the hood..
Old May 1, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i havent figured out the manual spray yet.. I'll only use it when im coming off the highway to help cool it a bit. i rarely useauto mode b/c i cant tell when it does spray and when not, and i dont want it to run out and burn out pump.
Old May 1, 2003, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Sano
why is it I have ran my fastest time without the switch. Also I still can not see how you can steer shift and hold down a button at the same time. I can't ever use the manual switch, too much going on
The intercooler spray doesn't really matter for a 1/4 mile run. There isn't enough time for the intercooler's temperature to rise enough to be a significant detriment to your run. Your shift timing is more important.
You can think of an intercooler as being like a large heatsink for a CPU. The larger and more massive the intercooler, the better it can absorb the heat from the compressed intake air. The intercooler spray is useful for cooling the intercooler down between runs, and for operating for extended periods (like a rally).

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
actually its chemisty... and yes i know the canister in the rear is for washer fluid read ur owners manual and you will understand what i ment by wiperfluid for the ic sprayer
i took physics and chemistry in college, and your comment reminds me of what my chemistry professor said. he told us how people debate whether everything is really all physics or all chemistry. when you get down to the atomic and subatomic level, is chemistry really physics, or is it actually the other way around? it seems like the subjects are intertwined closely.

Last edited by ru4real; May 1, 2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 1, 2003, 07:53 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack

I did see a clever experiment using an A/C setup in conjunction with an intercooler.. but I don't know if that ever panned out..
2004 Ford SVT Lightning Concept employs super cooler tgechnology... "The intercooler can use the vehicle's air conditioning system (on demand) to cool the intake charge even more, resulting in 50 more horsepower for a 30- to 45-second burst."
Old May 2, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Washer fluid

Washer fluid contains alcohol. If I remember correctly it is isopropyl alcohol, like rubbing alcohol. Isopropyl is not highly flammable and it would evaporate very quickly anyway. So you could increase the alcohol content of the washer fluid and you may see an improvement. The water in the fluid helps prevent the evaporation process because water is highly drawn to alcohol.
That's why you get water in your brake resevoir and it's also why you dehydrate when you drink alcohol.
Ultimately the supply line from the tank to the sprayer would be the best thing to cool with sa the low pressure side of the A/C system or something. Even heatsheilding is an improvement.
Of course any pressurized gas comes out cool so a bottle of nitrogen (cheap) or C02 would work well. You just need to design the delivery method to handle the pressured gas.
Old May 2, 2003, 05:06 PM

I was curious about this myself and did alittle reading on our own Evo Encyclopedia, here is an exert about the water sprayers:

Further aiding the intercooler’s temperature-lowering capability is a water spraying system that can operate in manual or automatic modes. Manual water spraying projects a cold water spray over the finned, aluminum surface for as long as the center console located button is pressed. Automatic mode delivers two-seconds spray of cold water every five seconds. The compressed air, with its temperature significantly reduced, flows from the intercooler to the cast aluminum intake manifold via gently-contoured, large diameter aluminum pipes. The intercooler, with its capability for reducing air temperature, improves engine efficiency by helping provide denser, cooler air that helps reduce the possibility of detonation at high boost levels.

Hope this helps.
Old May 2, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Isopropyl alcohol isn't flammable? Who told you this? Ispropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol, and rubbing alcohol burns. Try it.

Maybe wrapping the reservoir bottle with a block of dry ice will keep things cooler.
Old May 2, 2003, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, washer fluid is flammable just not as much as straight alcohol? I didn't suggest using it straight but chances are it would evaporate too fast to catch anyway.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just making observation..water/window fluid are both liquid states. NO pressure other than static pressure in the lines.. CO2 and nitrogen are gases with need to be compressed to be stored(liquid state) now you have high pressure liquidified gases in your car...the existing line and nozzles are unusable.....need regulator, braided steel lines coupling and more..which equals more $$$$ for something that is NOT gonna give you much in return Just stick to ice...wrap the the container with Thermal sheet....should help with melting rate of the ice. (or use ice pack in congunction with normal water.
PEACE
sidenote: melting point, boiling point in conjunction with How much energy it would take to reach is the temp. IS Physics....
melting pt., boiling pt., of particular solid or liquid is Chem
PEACE Again
sidenote#2:The spray is was originally intended to help the IC do it's job at a stand still or very slow rate of travel (ie traffic jams) at high speeds where airflow is more significant; the cooling benefits of mist is very low or nil

Last edited by ishi; May 3, 2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old May 3, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"sidenote" properties of chemicals is chemistry........

didn't think we needed this but if we have to debate about it then :

physics ['fızıks]
noun [functioning as sing]
1 the branch of science concerned with the properties of matter and energy and the relationships between them. It is based on mathematics and traditionally includes mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism, acoustics, and heat. Modern physics, based on quantum theory, includes atomic, nuclear, particle, and solid-state studies. It can also embrace applied fields such as geophysics and meteorology

2 physical properties of behaviour
example: the physics of the electron

3 (archaic)
natural science or natural philosophy

That is the def. of physics

This is chem.

chemistry ['kɛmıstrı]
noun
(plural: -tries)
1 the branch of physical science concerned with the composition, properties, and reactions of substances
See also: inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry

2 the composition, properties, and reactions of a particular substance

3 the nature and effects of any complex phenomenon
example: the chemistry of humour

4 (informal)
a reaction, taken to be instinctual, between two persons

Now can we please get back to the topic of water spraying and best liquids to use........
Old May 3, 2003, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Put nitrous in your intercooler...thatll keep it cool a hella lot
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoXer
BTW... this is Physics, not Chemistry
lol its all the same!
equation wise that is!