Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Water sprayer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water sprayer

Would it be safe to put ice in container for the intercooler water sprayers, and do you think it would make a difference?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Not a bad idea.
I might try it at the track.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

interesting. I wonder if by the time the sprayer starts to spray, would the ice have already melted? Or do you plan on manually spraying?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

what if you fill it completely with ice and then before your run some of it would be melted

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Apr 29, 2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 02:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference, I think the water would probably warm up quite a bit before it even reached the intercooler sprayer.. A better solution might be to use a liquid that evaporates rapidly at a lower tempurature.. I've seen instances of Liquid to air intercoolers that had its liquid exchange heat with a dry-ice resevoir inside the car.. but that was a drag racing innovation that I saw once..

I did see a clever experiment using an A/C setup in conjunction with an intercooler.. but I don't know if that ever panned out..
Old Apr 29, 2003, 02:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh, and before you try to use the sprayer at the track, they don't like things that drip on the ground.. if they see anything dripping out of the bottom of your car, they might flag you off the track or not let you queue up again for another run.. Thats why CO2 intercooler sprayers came into being..
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

At high speeds most of the water that is sprayed should go straight into the intercooler and not drip onto the ground, and if it did, it would be more like mist, so it should be unrecognizeable. I haven't taken mine out yet, but I'll keep an eye on it and see what's up there.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

The sprayers let out only a small amount of water at a time. If used properly, (ie while at speed) very little if any water will make it's way to the ground....it will mostly get boiled off by the hot engine components behind the IC.

Adding ice to the fluid bottle will certainly make the liquid that shoots onto the IC cooler. But the IC sprayers make only a fraction of a difference to start with. And I think the addition of ice to the fluid would only make a small improvement over that. I don't think anyone could ever really feel the difference it would make. But on hot days, you may see some sort of improvement.

SC~
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, its worth a shot to try. And hats off to the idea. Maybe a change to the sprayer system for racing would help. NX makes an IC sprayer that Kontra has on his Lancer. You may be able to pipe it in somehow....
Old Apr 30, 2003, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys I asked a chemisty Major about this. I was actually going to get dry ice in their but then i thought about it. Remeber the whole point of the sprayer is to cool the intercooler and thats all. Now that air passing through there is around 200 degrees give or take some, now what temp did water boil at again???? yup 212 degrees so if you think abotu it cold water hitting the IC is only going to boil off the intercooler. Now this is the reason owners manual says to use windshild washer fluid. That fluid has some agents added to it which will help raise the boiling point of water. So instead of boiling off the IC it is staying in it's liquid form and pulling heat off the aluminum and thus cooling the air inside. This is the only way you should cool your intercooler it will benifit you the most. Any other chemists in here who can add their two cents???......
Old Apr 30, 2003, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

As far as I know, the whole point of the water spray was to have it evaporate. Evaporation has a cooling effect (ie = getting out of the shower). I don't think the water temperature would make a huge difference, but I'm usually wrong..
Old May 1, 2003, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Water temp makes a slight difference, because it takes energy to warm it to the point of evaporation.. but with a mist, it makes very little difference.. But you are right about the evaporation.. raising the BP of the liquid means it will take more energy to evaporate, this could be a good or a bad thing.. and Windshieldwasher fluid works because it FREEZES at a much lower temp, but it still evaporates at a fairly low temp (close to water's BP)

Thats why things like Nitrous or CO2 liquid are good for cooling things.. It steals away so much heat that it boils into a gas at a VERY VERY low temp..

Alcohol also has a very low boiling point, however the problem is its flamable, and can damage your paint, and Alcohol can attack the rubber/plastic components in your car and the sprayer system.. and odds are it will evaporate from your resavoir very quickly, so it may only be useful at the track...Also I think the sprayer and Windshield washer share the same tank....
Old May 1, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

windshield washer fluid bottle is in the trunk.

IC sprayer bottle is under the hood.

SC~
Old May 1, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

BTW... this is Physics, not Chemistry
Old May 1, 2003, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

evaporation will easily take much more heat away than simply having water sitting on the intercooler. dip a finger in water and blow on it, and dip a finger into rubbing alcohol and blow on it.. I bet the alcohol felt cooler.
If you all remember taking any science classes in high school or college, you,ll remember latent heat of evaporation. thats when water has reached its boiling temp (212) but still keeps sucking up heat until it has enough energy to change phases into gas. the latent heat of evap is more heat than required to raise the same amnt of water a few tens of degrees.
this all means that if you put cold/ ice water into the ic sprayer when the ic only hits about 200 deg, the water wont evaporate, so you're not even taking the latent heat off the intercooler, the only extra heat you take is that to raise the water form cold to room temp. the latent heat is more, you want to be takign that off, hence you want the liguid to evaporate on the intercooler.

the lower the temp the liquid evaporates, the better. thi is why we use washer fluid.. it evaporates at a lower temp than water (ever spray it on a hot windshield to watch it evaporate away) so it dries off the windshield quicker. the reason lower boiling poitn isbetter is that if you use water, the IC has to hit 212 for the big cooling effect to take place. with washer fluid, it only has to be in the 150-190 range (guestimating) for the big cooling effect, therefore it will allow you to keep a lower avg temp.

if you look around they sell fluids specifically for intercooler sprayers that boil at low temps (like alcohol minus the flammability), and nitrous or co2 are best b/c the boil at room temp.