Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

A-Spec Titanium TP Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
not using a gasket on a ti o steel junction is bad. tightening them hard so they won't leak will cause your ti flange to warp.
thats my idea too. its also another reason for the gasket to decrease the amount of virbration between the parts- thus decreasing the likelyhood of a crack resulting from the harmonic frequencies?

john
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

jbrown: If you have NO gasket at your downpipe to testpipe connection IT IS leaking if you dont have silicone sealant there or some other sealing material. It doesnt matter if you tighten them down until the bolts almost reach there yield point.

Go crank your car up with it on jacks and stick your hand around the juntion with the car cold. You will feel the exhaust leaking. No gasket will leak for sure.

If you are NOT going to use a gasket, then use some high temp silicone between the flanges. You CAN get flat flanges to seal without and sealant if they are machined flat surface with very smooth surface finish, but overtime unless they are made of extremely exotic materials, they will warp due to the extreme pressure from the fasteners and heat.

The only think that Jbrown is correct on is to not use these type of foil gaskets at the turbine to exhaust manifold connection. The best thing to use around the turbo area is the steel OEM type gaskets. This goes for the O2 housing to turbine housing connection also.

BTW, that piece looks very nice. I would suggest a very quiet catback as a purchase down the road. There are some quiet ones such as Greddy Evo2, SP, and some others.

My $.02.

Brian
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

thats a nice lookin piece!!! do u know how thick the flanges r?? from what i see it looks somewhere around 1/4in??