Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiblueeyes
Overheating when idling. Just replaced blown headgasket "Cometic" been blown in 3 cylinders. Now engine still overheats unless AC is on (2nd fan on).
Would you think its a Thermostat that is acting up? (We let all the air out of the coolant system). Is there anything else that can cause overheating?

Thanks for advise.
Turn on A/C max, if only the second fan comes on, you have a bad fan controller.. have it replaced anyway if you never had it replaced under warranty. You don't get overheating when your driving, only standing still at idle? Thats a clear indicator that there's no airflow (no fan running when idling and the temp climbs over 200 degrees) also look for silly errors like the fan controller isn't plugged in, or one of the fans is plugged into the wrong port on the controller. BTW This fan issue may be a contributor and only a secondary problem.. The head could be warped preventing a good seal between some of the cylinders..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Aug 15, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan is working, both of them are. Head has been resurfaced and checked by the shop. Brand new OEM headgasket. Cylinder press will hold fine 160 or so.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did the shop magnaflux the head to check for cracks? It really sounds like the head was not put onto the block correctly. Who installed the head?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

The head been resurfaced by a profesional shop. Looks like the head will come off next week to get inspected for cracks.

1,2,3 cylinder get water in if you pressurise cooling system. If you you do cylinder pressure test it wont blow coolant out, so it does not appear to be bad gasket especially that its the same exact problem as before the head was resurfaced. It hasnt been the gasket in the first place as it still takes qt of coolant for 10-15 miles. It does not mix with oil. So far diagnosis been that one of the coolant passages might have been damaged before or during porting process as I got someone elses head from Buschur based on the core exchange basis.
So. It sux. I am into it for about $1000 now and still not resolution as of yet.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Oh man that is sad.
Did you contact the vendor? , at least they should replace the head. and they should have a record on whos head is whos. Also you could recover some of the money selling the replacement head.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

No, I didnt contact them yet, I gave my stock head to them (buschur) as a core last november.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I know its been awhile but any new news to this?