Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Staged EVO upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Staged EVO upgrades?

Does anyone know of any tuners are offering any staged performance upgrades for the EVO. I know that there are a lto under development, but I would have thought someone would have come out with a marketable staged set up by now. I konw Vushnu was working on something, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of the Goals/performance parts that will be available for the modifications. By the way, wasn't is Pruven Performance that was running a 12.54 1/4 mile time? Does anyone know what they were running?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

brainstorm performance has a pretty sweet setup. They have an AWD dyno and cliam over 400hp to the wheels.
www.turboperformance.net
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did anyone notice that Brainstorm had an ECU Piggyback with a plug-in harness.. has anyone seen exactly what it is? For the money and features it offers, I'm curious..
Old Apr 30, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oi. Stages suck. It is just a ploy to get you to buy all your parts from one vendor.

Upgrading these cars isn't rocket science. Buy the parts you want from the vendors you prefer for THOSE PARTS! Just because vendor X makes the best muffler bearing doesn't mean that he also sells the best blinker fluid.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm, $225 for a Walbro 255 and $1000 for a cat-back exhaust? Seems a little high to me.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 05:20 PM
DJJ

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
Oi. Stages suck. It is just a ploy to get you to buy all your parts from one vendor.

Upgrading these cars isn't rocket science. Buy the parts you want from the vendors you prefer for THOSE PARTS! Just because vendor X makes the best muffler bearing doesn't mean that he also sells the best blinker fluid.
I hate it when the muffler bearings go out
and when I run out of blinker fluid. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old Apr 30, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Upgrading these cars isn't rocket science.
I agree for those that have past experience with turbo cars espeically DSMs, but many of the guys out there are NEWBS whether they want to admit it or not!!! Thats why alot of this stuff needs to be spelled out!

Buy the parts you want from the vendors you prefer for THOSE PARTS! Just because vendor X makes the best muffler bearing doesn't mean that he also sells the best blinker fluid.
I totally agree, buy the best parts regardless of whether they come from the same shop or not!
Old May 1, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I asked because everyone is doing the same think, exhaust, ecu, amybe a BOV and intake. There has yet to be a mention of a replacement turbo, and I can't seem to find any DYNO charts for a downpipe either. There there is the issue of using a S-AFC and boost controller, which in my opinion is a band-aid approach to the problem of engine management. I also have yet to see specific upgrade paths for 375+ hp on a US EVO. I will admit that 350+ is very reasonable, and relatively easy, but the 375-400 mark seem sot be another story.
Old May 1, 2003, 12:22 PM

Now maybe I misread something but looking at the turboback exhaust for the evo, there is a claim of 40hp gain from the fellas at turboperformance. I thought turbobacks had a gain of around 25 .
Old May 1, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I thought the CAT back exhaust gave something like 12 wheel hp for the guys at Vivid racing, so maybe that is 15 at the crank. Then there is the issue if a downpipe, which there seems to be no dyno data to support, and also the high flow cat, which would increase the size of teh cat from 2.5 inches to 3.0. Again there seems to be no dyno tests on any of this. If a vendor put this in thier website, I am sure they could cash in; unless these mods do absolutly noting and they are trying to hide the fact that they are a wast of money, but I doubt it. STi
Old May 1, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

...blinker fuild...

I'm still chuckling at that one...
Old May 1, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nigelcain555
Now maybe I misread something but looking at the turboback exhaust for the evo, there is a claim of 40hp gain from the fellas at turboperformance. I thought turbobacks had a gain of around 25 .

25WHP.. they are playing the BHP game.. And there prices seem pretty terrible IMO..

A walbro 255 should be max ~$130. Get them on ebay for ~80 usually..

-Zach
Old May 1, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

don't forget to rotate teh air in your tires guys. very critical for drag on turbo cars
Old May 1, 2003, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

muffler bearings and blinker fluid are good for at least 30 AWHP

Old May 1, 2003, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, I know where to come when I have a stupid joke!!! Just kidding guys.

Quick Reply: Staged EVO upgrades?