Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quaife owners speak up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
is that 900 installed? is it one wheel up friendly?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
it's great... i mean what do you want to hear? it'll make you turn in faster if you're an amature and are on the gas already at turn in. it'll let you trail brake into a turn if you're a pro.

on the track out if you're in need of some help and you're in the right gear, give it just a tad of gas. it works as it should. not getting in the way when it shouldn't. it also keeps you safe in case you lift wheels, won't break any pinion gears and what not cuz it keeps all the wheels moving and it's lift-one-wheel-safe.

basically every 03-04 should have one.
I was told that if you lift one of the front wheels the Quaife acts as an open diff. I thought it had to have some preload on it in order to work.

EVOlutionary
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I need to add to what I said earlier. I am now having large issues with spinning the inside front tire coming out of corners. . . even WITH the Quaife.

I was under the impression that if there was ANY load on the Quaife front diff, that it would transmit power to the wheel with the most traction. This does not appear to be the case. The front tires is definitely not coming off the ground, but it is still spinning.

Guess I'll have to try a Cusco front LSD for next year. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chmodlf
Go with the Mitsu LSD. Much less expensive $900 vs $1500. Yes Quaife gives the lifetime guarantee but unless you are putting down some SERIOUS hp the Mitsu LSD will be fine.

what kinda numbers are serious? Cause we are starting to see 400+hp and 400+tq everyday now. im shooting for about 450hp and 450tq on my setup.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
Reduced understeer and better turnin.Im able to apply power sooner coming out of corners as well.Wothwhile investment for a 03 Evo.

Originally Posted by fatbastard
i've been quite happy with mine...

+1 if you got an 03 you better change it, you really don't have a choice !!
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Quaife's are only the cat's meow if you do not lift/unload a wheel enough so that it can not spin it form loss of traction. If you are looking for diffs that are "wheel lift" friendly then you need to go with a conventional LS diff, such as Cusco, , etc...

I had one on my E36 M3, and until I got my suspension sorted out where I could keep both rears on the ground firmly, I was always spinning the inside wheel.

Good for you guys that are asking questions ahead of time instead of finding out you bought the wrong thing like the guy who is now reporting he just discovered the inside wheel spins after it's installed.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Quaife's are only the cat's meow if you do not lift/unload a wheel enough so that it can not spin it form loss of traction. If you are looking for diffs that are "wheel lift" friendly then you need to go with a conventional LS diff, such as Cusco, , etc...

I had one on my E36 M3, and until I got my suspension sorted out where I could keep both rears on the ground firmly, I was always spinning the inside wheel.

Good for you guys that are asking questions ahead of time instead of finding out you bought the wrong thing like the guy who is now reporting he just discovered the inside wheel spins after it's installed.
Good point. When I bought it this spring everyone was saying that it only acted as an open diff if the wheel was OFF the ground. I am finding now that this also happens when the wheel is significantly unloaded. R&D sucks . . .
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

where can i find a diff?
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.stationgaragearnside.co.u....php?p=9&pno=0

Halfway down the page
Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
might be better to go with a front Mitsubishi LSD
does ur evo8 have acd? if ur talking about the ralliart lsd then i must tell u that the mitsubishi acd ecu for the usa evos is a different setup then the evos in japan and so it wont work without an acd flash. atleast thats what ralliart says.

Last edited by GGP Wolf; Oct 18, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
where can i find a diff?
Here ya go http://www.teamrip.com/SPECIALS.htm
It doesn't get any cheaper than that
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GGP Wolf
does ur evo8 have acd? if ur talking about the ralliart lsd then i must tell u that the mitsubishi acd ecu for the usa evos is a different setup then the evos in japan and so it wont work without an acd flash. atleast thats what ralliart says.
Not yet, but I plan on installing one from TRE ($800):

http://www.teamrip.com/GENUINE_FACTORY_EVO_PARTS.html

You don't need an ECU flash for a LSD. A the front limited slip in ALL evo's are completely 100% mechanical (no electronics or sensors). The center differential (ACD & AYC) is a different story.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Oct 18, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:41 AM

that's what im saying. that jdm lsd parts are not compatible to the usa acd cuz of programing.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GGP Wolf
that's what im saying. that jdm lsd parts are not compatible to the usa acd cuz of programing.
I am not sure about this...however I have an 03 which does not have an ACD (or a front lsd) so I will definitely be swapping in one.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Oct 19, 2006 at 02:23 PM.