Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20g records, Stock Appearing Class etc.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
20g records, Stock Appearing Class etc.....

Just some updates and news from the race weekend.

The 20g-9-5 definetely showed how well it works this weekend. There were quite a few cars here running it and there were a BUNCH of 11.50 and faster EVO's with this turbo on. These are full weight cars running trap speeds of 120+ mph on race gas and on pump/alky.

Trent Stanley, our welder here, took 2nd place in EVO Stock Appearing running a best of 11.31 at 122 mph, this was done on 93 octane+alky. Last night he threw in 3 gallons of race gas and headed to Dragway 42 and ran 11.20 at 122 mph with a 1.62 sixty foot time. The car is actually fairly lightly modified for being so fast. Buschur Racing Stage 4, AEM EMS, alky kit. That's it. Completely stock engine, head, intake and throttle body.

This year was the first year ever for any Stock Appearing class car, DSM or EVO, to run in the 10's. I am proud to say it was my personal EVO RS that did it.

The class rules state that the car must run a complete interior, tires with a tread wear rating of 140 or higher, no headers, no sheetmetal intakes, no dump tubes, no nitrous, no air to water intercoolers. Turbos must remain stock appearing.

My car ran 10.89 at 128.56 mph and backed that up with a 10.92 and 10.94 at 127 mph. Car was run on Yokaham Neova's.

I think Trent's car is going to be capable of running 10.9's also once we do an alignment, take out some hidden weight, do a real tune for it and put our ported intake manifold and 65 mm throttle body on it.

Trent drives his car 122 miles a day to and from work here. 150 passes on it so far this summer alone.

My car is also daily driven but I only drive about 10 miles a day. Looking forward to driving it to the Mitsubishi MOD day at the factory next month.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats a total price for all this power?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

What did you do to finally get a 10sec timeslip with the 20g-9-5? Please let the cat out of the bag....ive been debating to get this turbo since it came out. Also, is it possible to pull the 10 sec run with stock internals? What cams are in Trents car?

Congratulations,
Dave
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Dave,

Need an intake manifold to use as a core to avoid down time on Trents car? Or do you have a bunch sitting around? Mine is available cheap to anyone who want to purchase it, or free to you.

Keith
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Looking forward to driving it to the Mitsubishi MOD day at the factory next month.
I'll race ya there.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

David -

How does the 20G 9-5 compare to the Evo IX( 10.5 hotside) turbos?
Is there less boost taper at lower levels?
Do they benefit from an upgraded wastegate like the forge?

I guess bottom line - Is it cost of it worth the upgrade? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I'll race ya there.
me too, i'll start in WI
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GGEVO2k5MR
Dave,

What did you do to finally get a 10sec timeslip with the 20g-9-5? Please let the cat out of the bag....ive been debating to get this turbo since it came out. Also, is it possible to pull the 10 sec run with stock internals? What cams are in Trents car?

Congratulations,
Dave
I second that. Where did the additonal power come from to get 5 or 6 mph more speed, and 40 whp more on the dyno. I also heard that that car on the dyno was hold ~35 psi of boost to redline.

Is it still an of the shelf 20G-9-5 on that car?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Oh so many questions, you guys looking for my secrets

EVOMIZ,

Price for all what power? Trent's car or mine? Trent's is easy to figure as it is very basic. Mine is completely built. Trent's car is full Stage 4, around $3700 withe best parts chosen from each Staged kit, $2400 for the AEM EMS, $1500 for a twin disc clutch, alky kit is $499. That completes his car as of right now.

Mine is rediculously long and ranges from suspension/brakes/head/shortblock/turbo etc.

ggEVO2k5mr,

Trent is running the HIKS 280's. Biggest gain on his car was the AEM EMS. I believe it is very possible to turn 10's on the stock internals. I think Trent will do it in before the end of the year. Jarrod's car is stock internal and has gone 11.04 at 128 mph with our GT3065 kit.

fourdoor,

I'd be glad to buy that intake from you just to have it here for cores. If you aren't going to use it send it and I'll give you credit for it. I know you have something else on order from us.

EVOIXMR,

The 20g-9-5 is superior to the EVO9 turbo. There are just too many cars going faster and faster with this 20g-9-5 on their cars now. The higher the boost/mod list the more power it makes over the stock EVO turbos, both 8 and 9's.

TURBODAWG,

Now, I can't go telling anyone from North Carolina what I did, you guys came up here to beat my dyno numbers, if I let me secrets out of the bag next time you come you might be able to get close!! Trent's car made 390/413 ft lbs on standard stuff, very basic and 93 octane with alky. Not sure where you heard anything about 35 psi as nothing of the sort was said and the boost wasn't hooked up on anyone's car on the dyno.

I will just say to you all.............there is some very exciting things coming soon for the EVO.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Boys from North Carolina

Dave-

Yes, congrats are in order for you! We were impressed with your 10 second passes. But, you can't blame us boys from North Carolina trying to compete with the best can you? Hey, we are a small group of Evo owners that are just trying to make a name for ourselves, just like you did many years ago. We try hard at what we do, but we don't have 15+ years of experiance behind us like you do. I am damn proud of the times we ran for no more money than we had in the car. And who knows how next year will go.

Congrats again Dave,
Maximum Boost
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I've been trying to stay away from these stock appearing bolt on turbos because it didn't seem like 1300 bucks was worth a few pounds per minute gain. But after watching Kevin drive the bag out of that car to 3 10s in a row, I'm starting to rethink my strategy And before I go any further let me mention that Kevin is an awesome competitor and a real stand up guy, and Dave was willing to talk about the car, pop the hood for me, etc. I find that after this year's Shootout especially I have a healthy bit of respect for the Buschur crew. Always a pleasure to talk to these guys.

Now, seeing what the BR RS did and what Curt Brown has done on the stock turbo has really got me thinking. Looking at the RS I don't see a ton of weight taken out of it. It has a radio in it even And the car was indeed on regular tires. Unreal. Rather than jump right to the big turbo I think I will challenge myself to stay within the ESA rules and see how close I can get. I've always enjoyed a good challenge more than simply running a quick pass.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read in another thread that Buschur Racing has some improvements in the works for the 20G-9-5. Is this so? Will there be an upgraded version?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I'll race ya there.
Whats up brother to the east? Ill race you there too since I get the head start

Dave
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I read in another thread that Buschur Racing has some improvements in the works for the 20G-9-5. Is this so? Will there be an upgraded version?
is this true and does it hold weight? If so will be be able to get our 20g upgraded?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the challenge of going faster with less too, kjewer1. As a matter of fact I think that is what draws the majority of our business here. Guys looking to go fast with very little done and improve the cars performance with what it came with.

As we have proven, you can make an EVO go 8's, it's just a matter of what you want to spend and how much you want to be able to drive and enjoy it.

I keep considering putting a big turbo on my car just to run 9's and be done with it. I like the car the way it is though and each time I consider doing a big turbo swap I find another way to gain some ET/MPH. Much more challenging to me. Realistically I know that if I change tires, bolt on a GT42R and some injectors the car can run deep into the 9's at 160+ mph. Makes for good bragging rights but the car would be no fun for the street. Not saying I won't do it ever but I am happy as hell with the RS now.

Something else. Alignments. HUGE-HUGE factor in going fast. The EVO has an issue with wheel alignent as it is. Hold on....going to make a new post about this stuff. Watch for it. In the General Topics...

Quick Reply: 20g records, Stock Appearing Class etc.....