Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Front rattle drivers side Not TOB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Idle rattle drivers side (RHD) Not TOB!

So Ive read all the TOB posts...

thing is...when I hear a rattle, its not metal on metal more of a subdued rattle, and sounds a lot like a heatshield but its not, and ONLY at idle to about 1500rpm intermittently. If I rev down in gear in a side street with close walls I can hear it intermittently sounding rattley but nothing i could PIN down and say 'definately ' heat shields etc.

Ive removed heat shields on the exhaust except the ones on the turbo e.g. underbonnet. the downpipe cat on the 9 is a one piece unit so no way to remove it's 'inbuilt' shield which does sound a bit tinny to be.

Anyway to give u bit of history, picked car up brand new 60kms later CEL light on. Turns out front cat is fault from manufacture. They had 2-3 in the past 6 months from dealership do same thing. Replace front cat , all good. Anyway they never cleaned out exhaust so when i dropped centre cat to check for rattles i see heaps of crap from previous failed front cat in there. i clear it all out, curse mitsubishi and get on with life.
But still this rattle. From somewhere.

At IDLE, you notice it from drivers wheel-argh if you put your ear there. Its like an intermittent buzzy rattle very quiet gets worse with lower rpm.
Its from around the belts area perhaps, when i have my head under car its not the cats but almost sounds like oil pan or alternator or something like that.!! not rattling just buzzy/intermittently sounding like its vibrating somewhere.

maybe it is exhaust but where? if not exhaust, then what?

it DOESNT change whether clutch is in, out, in gear or out of gear, and my TOB is presently silent, so im OK on that count. Car seems to be running great. bit of drivetrain whine but its the same as the 06 STI nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell.

Can you guys shed any light? im getting an (unrelated) sheared strut tower bolt replaced tomorrow (i did it woops) and want to see if i can get them to look at a few things while its in there so any replies in the next 8-15 hours would be MOST appreciated!!

its somewhere there, front right area somewhere, under engine, centre of underbody, to maybe oil cooler/wheel well area, some where there maybe even cat/ oil pan. Any common rattles you guys know of to look for??

Help!! its the last predelivery issue i have to fix and i DONT trust the dealer so that is just NOT an option. I checked the cats again tapping on them, front cat is brand new and is fine and now centre cat is all cleared out and also fine no bits in it rattling. pipe is tight, joins are tight. only thing i DONT know is whether the dealer couldve caused this rattle replacing the front cat (its like one Piece with the cat/pipe so did they replace the pipe and cat too?) and either way when im under the car it doesnt sound like that specifically rattling. nothing is rubbing. most noticeable from drivers wheel well and its not gearbox/clutch specific/related.

Trav

Last edited by troe666; Sep 5, 2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

hmm, while I cant answer that your question specifically I can mention this., I also have a similar noise, however I have a ton of work done, so Its probably something I did.

On the off chance though, I do remember when I had my stock boost control solenoid that it made that buzzing rattling sound and then I wouldn’t hear it anymore once I started driving. I would check to see if the sound is coming from that. When the solenoid is on, it should make a sound similar to what you are describing. It would pulsate. It is located drivers side under the intake. It will be gold colored and have a plug going into it. Its fairly easy to find.

Good luck I hope you get it figured out.

caelin~
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advice mate, ill check it out tomorrow night once I have the car back!

Anyone else got any ideas on this?

Trav
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

It could be the engines counter balancers....if they get off the engine will make a buzzing sound. Also check the downpipe spring bolts...if they took off the exhaust to fix the CAT they could of not tightened those bolts down all the way and they are vibrating....I only say this because I had a rattle for the longest time and it turned out to be that.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

yep i think its probably the spring bolts holding onto the dump/front/cat

What are these engine counter balancers? can I check them and/or fix them? what am i looking for, what problem etc? the car is brand new 1.5 weeks old only done barely 600kms i dont think it would have anything major up, i really suspect the cat/exhaust /etc
but humour me, what would the engine counter balancers have wrong/what could be done to fix/is that normal/where do i look lol

Trav
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

bump..

still hearing rattle/almost heatshieldy sound at idle from front/right of the car, noticeable from drivers-side wheel well mostly but under engine bay either between engine and strut or engine and wing or it could be one of following:

- downpipe spring bolts
- idler pulley
- turbo bracket bolt
- turbo or downpipe heatshields

doesnt seem to do it when the car is stone cold..

any ideas ? Hope its nothing serious

its not the TOB issue and doesnt seem to matter whether in gear or not, clutch in or not, and its def. drivers side or under the car.

if i stall it almost or get rpm to drop e.g. by holding up on power window control when window all way up already, i can make the rattle more noticeable because rpm drops.

help!!!
Trav
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

bump
final bump really need your help guys
gotta fix this its driving me insane and really worrying me
its going to the dealer 2morrow but id like to be armed with as many realistic possible ideas as i can..
also would like to just fix it myself because dont trust dealer.

Trav
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

ive still had no luck finding this damn rattle
the dealer are saying its ok normal and the other ones do it
i dont think everyone else on here's evo IX really has a small sound from the drivers side when parked up against a wall on the drivers side or anything (well, the right-hand side of the car i should say) does it??? no. probably not anyway lol. i hope not!
its gotta be something like a loose nut,bolt,connector,shield, it sounds almost bearing or belt like too but the cars been run in nice and is all OK and the other one at the dealership is doing it too....brand new too, both have had their cats replaced funnily enough though...

argh!! no one seems 2 be able 2 help!
has anyone at all got a rattle on the belt-side of the engine bay most noticeable from that wheel well and only at idle or when revving down through low rpm and most noticeable when going under idle rpm??

Trav
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the radio up mate!!

Is is just a noise? no driveability issues? I wouldn't worry about it. maybe it's a chunk of that "Cat" stuff in there, like hunks of chalk still in the exhaust. I don't think it's anything to worry about. is it a "ticking" sound as well? Sounds are hard to diagnose on the internet. do you have a "sound clip" of it? Maybe that will help us.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

hehe i have been doing..

yeah just noise, no driveability issues but then I wouldnt know because ive had it from new and its done it all along as far as I can remember. Yeah it ticks but thats just the injectors, the actual problem noise I dont like sounds so much like heat shield rattle but there isnt any heat shield there, and it does almost sound like the front cat but it just got replaced. Could it be the down pipe bolts which feel very tight (id be surprised?) it doesnt sound like there, god its hard to pin down even under the car with it running doing it where the F* its coming from

i was more wondering if any other evo 9 owners have a similar sound, i know a few do who I pm'd but as yet no one has a fix, and i cant be certain theirs is exactly the same issue. mines right-hand wheel well = most noticeable (i.e. near the engine's belt - side) and it seems louder from wheel well and under the car, u can really hear it when that side of the car is up against a wall and youre idling forward using low rpm or blips of the throttle

Trav
Old Sep 5, 2006, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Problem found (lucky i didnt just ignore it smokedmustang!)

It was the timing belt tensioner chattering/carrying on at idle. it was also weeping from its seal. it had a manufacturing defect and was also putting slightly incorrect tension on the belt, and was very very noisy.

It is being overnighted to the stealership and will be fitted ASAP Thank god we finally found it!

The dealership dropped the serpentine belt off, restarted for 5-8seconds or something and we still heard it! = not alternator or other pulleys on drive belt. So then i removed upper timing cover, couldnt see any issues. They then removed the lower timing cover and other bits at the dealership and determined the tensioner was f*d. They have checked every other pulley and bearing and all are in great (brand new of course!) order, just the timing belt tensioner had a manufacturing defect in it.

So yeah I cant wait until 2morrow when I pick it up, finally idle chatter/vibration free! Woohooo!

this noise was quite noticeable from the belt-side wheel well/arch and was bouncing off walls at drive-through food places and in my garage at home, should be quite noticeable to anyone in a confined space, an uneven inconsistent chatter or uneven light vibration from that side of the engine bay almost like a very loose heatshield but not as long or low pitched.

Trav

Last edited by troe666; Sep 5, 2006 at 01:09 AM.